Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    oh how I would love to write my psych dissertation on cake culture in the workplace....haha!

Why not? Another theme would be how it intersects with the individualism of American culture...hence the primary defence being along the lines of "it's your choice to eat or not eat the cake" "just say no" etc. How does cake culture play out in societies that value conformity over individualism?

I'm not American. It intersects with my culture of being a human who has always, throughout history, shared food as social bonding.

May I ask, what you are then? Although many cultures have commonalities, there is no one 'human' culture.

Can you tell me of a human culture where sharing of food in times of celebration isn't a thing?

In China, the traditional food to celebrate a birthday are peaches and noodles, not cake.

But still food...........

Yes. Ok, I didn't want to go there but honestly, you are not using the term "culture" correctly. The definition of culture is the customs, practices and beliefs of a particular people or society. By definition, there can be no universal human "culture". So your point that all humans share food is merely pointing out a commonality between cultures. Sorry, but there it is.

Of course you didn't.

I don't expect you to understand. After all you are a layman so are not as sensitive to the misuse of technical terminology.

Something was niggling at me after reading this, and the search function helped my memory out a bit. My memory isn't as faulty as I sometimes think it is.

You've posted that you're retired from working for 20 years in the Air Force on space program stuff and also that you worked as a grants officer with unlimited authority with academia at some point.

I'm not sure where you are fitting in a claim to being an anthropologist now, or where the "cake culture" comes in either of these scenarios.

You mean the Space Race was a billion dollar effort to defend our cake culture? I thought the Apollo program was all about the Moon Pies.

I had an eclipse party for the last solar eclipse. Discovered that the only place in SE Wisconsin to find Moon Pies was Stop and Go stores (attached to BP gas stations). At least the Sun Chips were easier to find, but I did get enough Moon Pies for everyone who attended.

I've never had a moon pie.

ETA: Never mind, I just searched and it looks like a wagon wheel. I've had them. What kind of booze did you have?

Luna di Luna wine and Blue Moon beer.

I assume the post office misplaced my invitation. :disappointed:

There is still the housewarming coming up in a few weeks.

That would be fun. My passport is current, it may take me a while to drive there. Are Canadians allowed across the wall/border? :laugh:

ZOMG no Canadians.

Ok, we're done discussing cake. Lets discuss the brutality and viciousness of Canandians

yup we are brutally polite most of the time...well some Canadians are.

But are you cake pushers?

Only if we haven't yet tried the goodness from our west coast that is the Nanaimo bar...

9c1f2bc3-4c8a-4639-951b-5077e790b0d9_ultimate-nanaimo-bar_WebReady.jpg

And I was just posting this as @estherdragonbat posted. ......

Nanaimo Bars in BC.

If I tie some on my head in a waterproof bag, swim the Juan de Fuca Strait, hike the Olympic Mountains, then trek across country, can I come to the party too?

(Half English, half Scot, living in Canada=
    Gentle demenor, brutally honest, with viscous tongue when needed)

Cheers, h.

@VintageFeline, just back from Edinburgh and the borders. I know the 2 alternate snowballs, had a Tunnocks for old times sake, what is the 3rd you speak of?
    A friend needs to know. h

They're a cake. A really really delicious cake. This link is a good description, I did not know M&S did them, even for a while (this blog is dated 2013, I shall still look next time I'm in one just in case though!).

http://www.foodstufffinds.co.uk/2013/01/4-scottish-snowballs-marks-specncer-by.html

OMG! I think that must be the thing that us consarned murrikans corrupted into that fiber-flocked, elastic-foam-coated, denatured-shaving-cream-filled atrocity, the Hostess Sno Ball.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sno_Balls

Please tell your cake culture I'm sorry.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    oh how I would love to write my psych dissertation on cake culture in the workplace....haha!

Why not? Another theme would be how it intersects with the individualism of American culture...hence the primary defence being along the lines of "it's your choice to eat or not eat the cake" "just say no" etc. How does cake culture play out in societies that value conformity over individualism?

I'm not American. It intersects with my culture of being a human who has always, throughout history, shared food as social bonding.

May I ask, what you are then? Although many cultures have commonalities, there is no one 'human' culture.

Can you tell me of a human culture where sharing of food in times of celebration isn't a thing?

In China, the traditional food to celebrate a birthday are peaches and noodles, not cake.

Yes. Ok, I didn't want to go there but honestly, you are not using the term "culture" correctly. The definition of culture is the customs, practices and beliefs of a particular people or society. By definition, there can be no universal human "culture". So your point that all humans share food is merely pointing out a commonality between cultures. Sorry, but there it is.

Of course you didn't.

I don't expect you to understand. After all you are a layman so are not as sensitive to the misuse of technical terminology.

Something was niggling at me after reading this, and the search function helped my memory out a bit. My memory isn't as faulty as I sometimes think it is.

You've posted that you're retired from working for 20 years in the Air Force on space program stuff and also that you worked as a grants officer with unlimited authority with academia at some point.

I'm not sure where you are fitting in a claim to being an anthropologist now, or where the "cake culture" comes in either of these scenarios.

You mean the Space Race was a billion dollar effort to defend our cake culture? I thought the Apollo program was all about the Moon Pies.

I had an eclipse party for the last solar eclipse. Discovered that the only place in SE Wisconsin to find Moon Pies was Stop and Go stores (attached to BP gas stations). At least the Sun Chips were easier to find, but I did get enough Moon Pies for everyone who attended.

ETA: Never mind, I just searched and it looks like a wagon wheel. I've had them. What kind of booze did you have?

That would be fun. My passport is current, it may take me a while to drive there. Are Canadians allowed across the wall/border? :laugh:

ZOMG no Canadians.

Ok, we're done discussing cake. Lets discuss the brutality and viciousness of Canandians

Only if we haven't yet tried the goodness from our west coast that is the Nanaimo bar...

Nanaimo Bars in BC.

If I tie some on my head in a waterproof bag, swim the Juan de Fuca Strait, hike the Olympic Mountains, then trek across country, can I come to the party too?

Cheers, h.

@VintageFeline, just back from Edinburgh and the borders. I know the 2 alternate snowballs, had a Tunnocks for old times sake, what is the 3rd you speak of?

They're a cake. A really really delicious cake. This link is a good description, I did not know M&S did them, even for a while (this blog is dated 2013, I shall still look next time I'm in one just in case though!).

http://www.foodstufffinds.co.uk/2013/01/4-scottish-snowballs-marks-specncer-by.html

OMG! I think that must be the thing that us consarned murrikans corrupted into that fiber-flocked, elastic-foam-coated, denatured-shaving-cream-filled atrocity, the Hostess Sno Ball.

Oh! Oh 'murica. Maybe I'll try one next time I'm over. If for no other reason than to feel comforted by our largely good quality cake culture. Except anything covered in marzipan. That you can have to do what you want with.
  • VintageFeline

Of course you didn't.

ZOMG no Canadians.

Nanaimo Bars in BC.

Cheers, h.

Oh! Oh 'murica. Maybe I'll try one next time I'm over. If for no other reason than to feel comforted by our largely good quality cake culture. Except anything covered in marzipan. That you can have to do what you want with.

Too bad, because I have the nicest recipe for a fresh red raspberry almond cake with marzipan in it. Guess I'll have to eat the whole thing myself.

Oh, and: If you can find a Sno Ball, don't eat it. Seriously. Brought to you by the same people who made Twinkies. You've been warned.

In my final year of primary school I went on a trip to Amsterdam, one of the outings whilst there was to a marzipan factory. We got to taste it fresh off the..whatever it comes fresh of of. Only time I found it vaguely acceptable. But it's one of the very few things I don't eat. I'm sorry about your cake, I'm sure it's delicious to everyone else.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    b1fnrsoy632c.jpg

Stop teasing us, yogurt is soooooooo good! I totally had one this morning. I get so much joy from thinking about, discussing, and looking at pics of yogurt!!!!

What aspect of yogurt do you wish to discuss? I keep meaning to try making it myself.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    It's a little early but can I post the cake I make once-a-year?

lahgdo1t76sd.jpg

Yule log is one of my favourites. My prior not yet obese but definitely nearly self once bought one that was in the reduced section of one of our upmarket supermarkets. I didn't finish it (I live alone) but I gave it a damn good shot!

I have mad a couple of variations (always with a chocolate sponge cake) and my family had agreed that the original is the best: chocolate sponge cake roll with mocha filling and chocolate frosting. I have done it with vanilla filling and even ice cream filling but the mocha is best.

Which reminds me . . . chocolate ice cream cake roll! Yummy and a favorite treat as a kid.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    I am shocked and appalled that we have gotten this far in the cake debate without talking about the value of the cake sandwich.
    That guy doesn't come in here. We like it that way.
  • VintageFeline
    My unpopular opinion is the September is too *kitten* early for pumpkin spice anything.

All the Christmas chocolate was out at the supermarket on Monday. I took an incredulous photo. We haven't even had Halloween yet people!

Well if you're Canadian, Thanksgiving is coming up very soon. And pumpkin pie. My best friend made one especially for me last year because she wasn't hosting anything as she usually does (and hasn't for three years while she retrained as a midwife, I'm not too bitter about it). So I can let the pumpkin spice slide.
  • VintageFeline
    The thing with cake, however, is that just the way it looks allows for discussion.

I happen to like to make pies for major holidays, and strawberry-rhubarb is my usual for Easter. Something like this:

1bhyskcjztph.jpg

But Easter provides for some of the most delightful cake fails and just plain horrifying cakes. I quite like this one, but they are endless:

bgegs1airmfg.jpg

Would still eat. Sans 3 inch thick icing if the cake is good underneath. Something endearing about him actually.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    b1fnrsoy632c.jpg

Stop teasing us, yogurt is soooooooo good! I totally had one this morning. I get so much joy from thinking about, discussing, and looking at pics of yogurt!!!!

I like adding a little protein powder to greek yogurt to make it even thicker. YUM! don't need ice cream..
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    My unpopular opinion is the September is too *kitten* early for pumpkin spice anything.

All the Christmas chocolate was out at the supermarket on Monday. I took an incredulous photo. We haven't even had Halloween yet people!

Well if you're Canadian, Thanksgiving is coming up very soon. And pumpkin pie. My best friend made one especially for me last year because she wasn't hosting anything as she usually does (and hasn't for three years while she retrained as a midwife, I'm not too bitter about it). So I can let the pumpkin spice slide.

We don't have Thanksgiving, and Halloween isn't big here, so ALL the Christmas stuff went up in shops this week. I can now go buy a Christmas tree, fruit mince pies, plum puddings, tinsel, decorations, dancing f'ing reindeer... IT'S MID-SEPTEMBER!!!!

Ugh.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    b1fnrsoy632c.jpg

What aspect of yogurt do you wish to discuss? I keep meaning to try making it myself.

Yoghurt culture!! Defs try making your own. I did for awhile, but then a low fat Greek yoghurt came out here that was exactly the same, less fuss, and not that much more expensive. It seems to have gone up in price when they rebranded it a couple of months ago though (from Greek yoghurt to Protein +, cos obviously appealing to a particular market). I'm considering buying a second yoghurt maker and starting to make my own again (I go through so much that a single batch, once the whey is drained off, only lasts a couple of days, and I don't want to be making yoghurt every few days).
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member

Snipped the other picture for space.
    But Easter provides for some of the most delightful cake fails and just plain horrifying cakes. I quite like this one, but they are endless:

bgegs1airmfg.jpg

That poor Easter bunny looks like he's trying to poop one of his eggs out.

This discussion has been closed.