Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    okay - I'm all about snacking, so I will try the fig and bran bars ... my only experience with figs is Fig Newtons in sandwich baggies when I was about ten, so I could probably stand to update my palate. :)

I graze all day ... and by the time I'm home, we're just scavenging the kitchen for an "acceptable" variety of foods to call dinner. Not a good system at all. I'm going to the grocery store this evening. My daughter will probably fall over when she sees me pick out a fig. :) Thx!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I bought stuff for the fig bars. I'll make them in a bit.

Made the soup tonight with grilled cheese. Perdy good. Needed salt- I don't salt my food. I found out I love barley. The soup was insanely quick and easy to make.
  • 4leighbee
    I'm the absolute worst. I went grocery shopping after working all day and ended up with five kinds of cheese in my fridge - and ate Eggo waffles for dinner. :neutral:

I did think about buying a fig somewhere around the cereal, but (1) I couldn't remember the name of the new food I was going to try, and (2) I have no idea what a fig looks like.

Tomorrow is another day. I will have the energy to google "fig" tomorrow. LOL ... I have a week, right? I can do this!
  • Elise4270
    LOL! @4leighlee they are in the produce section in packages. I made it last night. Half way through, I remembered figs are preserved and on my no-no list. So I added an equal amount of frozen blueberries to the puree. I was supprised that the recipe actually made bars. I'm so bad at cooking. Haha! I'm just not the most patient person.

They are not very sweet. And if you can't find figs or want to use something else, I'm sure it'll work. I did double the filling portion- still worked fine.

I couldn't find wheat bran and substituted wheat germ. (Internet sad I could). I resisted grabbing some this morning with coffee. I really need to not eat today to make up for the damage the last 10 days! Maybe I'll have a soup.
  • 4leighbee
    You are wonderful. I will work on this Thursday night. I was hoping there would be others interested in this particular challenge. LOL ... best that it's just me - I will do it. People (you) are watching. My daughter will watch me try something new because it's healthy. Good stuff. Thank you.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Errr my gerhd traveling, with others, not solo like usual. I am fat, (hopefully just bloated from strange/salty food), over full, and overall disgruntled with food at the moment.
  • Elise4270
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Errr my gerhd traveling, with others, not solo like usual. I am fat, (hopefully just bloated from strange/salty food), over full, and overall disgruntled with food at the moment.

Haha! I feel ya. I finally got my new smaller sized work pants in. I've been overeating, underexercising and have PMS bloat. I will be wearing my old pants tomorrow.
  • Elise4270
    4leighbee wrote: »
    You are wonderful. I will work on this Thursday night. I was hoping there would be others interested in this particular challenge. LOL ... best that it's just me - I will do it. People (you) are watching. My daughter will watch me try something new because it's healthy. Good stuff. Thank you.

Me too. Maybe it'll catch momentum. I think it's a fine idea we have here. I put pieces of mine tonight in some Halo Top Lemon Cake light ice cream. It was very much like a treat with out much guilt. (Ok no guilt until I hit the chips and bean dip).

Run together, eat together.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    FOOD. I love the food. All the food.

Today I tried chocolate milk as "first breakfast" after my run, and now I am sad that I could have eaten a yogurt and cereal for those 150 calories. I hate having food regret almost more than I hate being hungry starving.

Gonna shift my meals around because that breakfast just isn't going to cut it all the way through lunch.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    I had to move my food around too. I usually eat nuts in the afternoon but moved it to this morning because I am starving today! And it is SOOOO hot outside. I think I will try that soup. I have one kid that will eat it. The other will want grilled cheese. The way @Elise4270 makes it! LOL. My husband is completely carb free (or less that 20g a day) so we don't typically do bread for dinner.

My go to lately has been Ole whole wheat high fiber low carb tortillas. I know, they sound like cardboard, but they really aren't! I put grilled chicken (tyson already cooked because I am an awful cook) with Boathouse avocado cilantro dressing, chopped tomatoes, corn and a little salsa. SOOOOO yummy.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Tyson pre-cooked chicken at my house is a staple! I have had a hankerin' for tomato soup and grilled cheese, so maybe that will happen tomorrow. My in-laws (also next door neighbors) are cooking spaghetti for us tonight or tomorrow, so I am pretty fired up about that. I don't mind cooking, but it's always better when someone else does it for me! Hubby is gluten free, but he's travelling this week, so my son and I get to enjoy some traditional pasta and I COULD NOT BE MORE EXCITED ABOUT IT.

I am the poster child for needing all the food groups. I don't have to have a lot of any one macro, but I gotta have some of them all or I feel like I'm gonna DIE.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    What on earth am I doing reading through this when I haven’t yet eaten and it’s 10.30am? You are all making me hungry, grilled cheese with hash browns would just about do it but a) I’m at work and b) there are no facilities apart from a microwave (and no potatoes).

So, I don’t think I’ve ever got this weight loss thing figured out. I lost about 20lbs when I first started running, but I suspect that was due to running and not to diet, since I haven’t lost anything since about the new year. Eating less is a difficult thing for me – I’m short, my MAINTENANCE at sedentary is only 1500 calories, and I love food. I don’t love fired food, pizza, ice cream and all the bad stuff (don’t get me wrong, I’ll eat it but not all day long). I DO love good food, well-prepared dishes, wine, beer, vegetables slathered in butter etc. But I can’t quite seem to keep my calories down. Every time I do I have a day where I average them all back up again. My body hates me.

I could lose about 10-15lbs to be an ‘ideal’ weight. But just even losing half a pound is not really happening right now. So my next plan is to put on muscle. Someone earlier in the thread suggested it’s hard to equate fueling running with losing weight, so it may be that the traditional ‘bulk/cut’ cycle works easier for me. I have a Half Marathon coming up at the beginning of November, so am running training for that, keeping my eating at a moderate level but not ACTIVELY trying to lose weight. Then I’m thinking of trying Crossfit for the following three months. That’s probably going to mean very little running during that time, but I figure if I can build strength and muscle, it’ll help in the long run (haw haw)

I like the idea of recipe challenges, that soup looks simple and good. I’ve been having salad for lunch all summer but it’s getting colder now and salad is way less appealing, so soup might start to be the way to go….

My usual eating strategy is:
    Weekdays –
    Nothing but tea and coffee until morning teabreak, then
    Seeds soaked in kefir and some fruit.
    Lunch – salad, mixed leaves with olives, avocado, cheese/protein etc. today has a sprinkling of couscous mixed in
    Dinner – steamed vegetables with butter, then lamb kebabs or some protein element.

Weekends – a good old-fashioned fry up (eggs, bacon). Maybe some cereal to tide me over until I get to the shops.
    Wine, beer, burgers, eating out you name it…….
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Do any of you have the SkinnyTaste cookbooks? I have two and love them. The recipes were yummy and she has the calorie/macro break down for each. My problem is I get excited, meal plan for like a week or two and then fall back into my same old and get bored. Plus, most recipes take way too long for me to make. I like quick. LOL

Recipes with figs & dates scare me. I've never made stuff with those before so I'm all like what are these?!?
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Off topic to a degree...
    @RunsOnEspresso if you truly like your caffeine, I will gladly tell you to come over to the dark side and order yourself some Deathwish Coffee :)

You'll thank me later....when you stop zinging off the walls.
  • Elise4270
    Do any of you have the SkinnyTaste cookbooks? I have two and love them. The recipes were yummy and she has the calorie/macro break down for each. My problem is I get excited, meal plan for like a week or two and then fall back into my same old and get bored. Plus, most recipes take way too long for me to make. I like quick. LOL

Recipes with figs & dates scare me. I've never made stuff with those before so I'm all like what are these?!?

You can use berries instead of the figs. I think I'll make some more. They don't really fit in my macros. But I have I been looking for an alternative to running fuel. So they may be a nice pre, mid or post snack. If you can do chocolate, and nuts, I bet that'd be yummy.

I don't have the skinny taste cookbook. The Racing Weight Cookbook has it broken up into sections, meals referenced by macro, dietary needs, and time. I really like it. That soup was super fast. The bars were easy too.

I'm up 3 pounds the last 2 weeks. PMS, pizza, and niggles. Ugh.
  • Elise4270
    @greenolivetree I'm not short. Just old with little muscle and by my count, my BMR is 1200-1400. If I wanna lose, I set my goal 900-1100. Of course, I may also be sloppy at counting. 1600 is fueled and ready for 20-25mpw.

I like your diet. Sounds good and balanced.

Idk what my goal is today. I think I'm burned out on salad. If I skip lunch, I'll wah wah about not being fueled for a run. If I head out to lunch unplanned, I'll go to Arby's or somewhere equally as stupid and buy fried cheese. I could order a steak and veggies from Chili's... Think that works. I knew y'all'd help me.
  • fitoverfortymom
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    Off topic to a degree...
    @RunsOnEspresso if you truly like your caffeine, I will gladly tell you to come over to the dark side and order yourself some Deathwish Coffee :)

I gotta get me some of this...
  • dudasd1973
    Off topic to a degree...

Just in case you like to see numbers compared....

https://www.consumerreports.org/coffee/the-buzz-on-death-wish-coffee/

Yeah... :)

And it's really good coffee too!
  • fitoverfortymom
    Off topic to a degree...

Just in case you like to see numbers compared....

https://www.consumerreports.org/coffee/the-buzz-on-death-wish-coffee/

Yeah... :)

And it's really good coffee too!

I adore coffee. This is a must. No wonder I missed the commercial for it during the Super Bowl. I'm in Denver so I actually was watching that game.
  • dudasd1973
    I've been buying form them for years. The core following is insane. They literally won that commercial based on a small group of hard core caffeine fiends :)