Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is the September is too *kitten* early for pumpkin spice anything.

All the Christmas chocolate was out at the supermarket on Monday. I took an incredulous photo. We haven't even had Halloween yet people!

Well if you're Canadian, Thanksgiving is coming up very soon. And pumpkin pie. My best friend made one especially for me last year because she wasn't hosting anything as she usually does (and hasn't for three years while she retrained as a midwife, I'm not too bitter about it). So I can let the pumpkin spice slide.

We don't have Thanksgiving, and Halloween isn't big here, so ALL the Christmas stuff went up in shops this week. I can now go buy a Christmas tree, fruit mince pies, plum puddings, tinsel, decorations, dancing f'ing reindeer... IT'S MID-SEPTEMBER!!!!

Ugh.

At least hot cross buns have disappeared! I think it's ridiculous having Christmas stuff available so early! Halloween seems to be becoming more popular too - there's decorations and treats everywhere for that too. Urgh.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Here's a disturbing Easter veggie snack, should one try to change cake culture:

k5uv5bwkt4a4.jpg

I am weirdly drawn to that bunny.....

That said, the fact I would eat just about everything in this thread so far would indicate my "nope" food threshold is low. I'm not saying I'd like it all but I'd give it a go.

But not subterranean, because marzipan.

Hrumpf.

What is wrong with marzipan? I make a bunch of these every holiday season:
    am9mujl72hq5.jpg

Me, I love marzipan. But @VintageFeline - she doesn't like it. Which provoked "hrumpf", until I realized the implication: She's willing to let you and me have all of it! That nice @VintageFeline!

I think your marzipan fruits look superb, BTW. Yum!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Before I started using MFP I honestly never realized that so many people have food on their mind all of the time.

Maybe it just comes up a lot since this is a diet and fitness site?

And a 500 calorie piece of cake is the perfect food for someone looking to eat a nutritional low calorie diet?

Were you here for the ten pages of debate where we beat to death the notion that people actually eat cake on a daily basis?
    Clif's notes: It's hard to pin weight problems on "cake culture" when people only eat cake a few times per year.

People sure love posting pictures of what they eat a few times a year.

It's kind of boring to post photos of your every day food, IMO. Especially since there is no need to illustrate to other posters what an "omelet" is.

I'd rather see your omelets than pictures of my cottage cheese.

:open_mouth:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

k5uv5bwkt4a4.jpg

That said, the fact I would eat just about everything in this thread so far would indicate my "nope" food threshold is low. I'm not saying I'd like it all but I'd give it a go.

Hrumpf.

am9mujl72hq5.jpg

Me, I love marzipan. But @VintageFeline - she doesn't like it. Which provoked "hrumpf", until I realized the implication: She's willing to let you and me have all of it! That nice @VintageFeline!

I think your marzipan fruits look superb, BTW. Yum!

You are very welcome! I don't know why I don't like because the ingredients are fine. But I am a wee bit weird about nuts. Given the choice they would be exclusively a snack item and not in food. Although I can make an exception for frangipane, not my favourite but I do enjoy a pear and frangipane tart on occasion.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

k5uv5bwkt4a4.jpg

Hrumpf.

am9mujl72hq5.jpg

Serious Skills! Very impressive!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2017

k5uv5bwkt4a4.jpg

Hrumpf.

am9mujl72hq5.jpg

Those are so cute!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Marzipan is disgusting. No idea how people actually eat it.

I agree with this.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Before I started using MFP I honestly never realized that so many people have food on their mind all of the time.

And a 500 calorie piece of cake is the perfect food for someone looking to eat a nutritional low calorie diet?

Depends. Low calorie compared to what. And what is the composition of the rest of said persons diet that day/week. Context and dose dude. Context and dose. It always amazes me how some people consistently struggle with this concept.

Cakes, cookies and other grain based desserts make up the highest percentage of calories out of 25 food groups in the US diet.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/foods-that-make-up-most-of-the-calories-american-consume-2015-2

70% of Americans are overweight/obese.

Yep, context and dose dude, context and dose.

It's great that 5-6 posters on this topic have no issue with controlling these item, not like that out in the real world.

but even your link says out of a 2100 cal diet only 138 on average come from that particular food group...so that's not even 1 donut a day.

not a lot nor would it be the cause of obesity....food in general eaten in excess is the cause of obesity.

For example all those wraps with the dressings, bacon and cheese from Micky dees or Subway are probably more of a culprit than cake...you take the foods from spot 2, 3 and 4 and bam...subway sub...."the healthy alternative" but way more calories than the cookie for dessert.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    annaskiski wrote: »
    b1fnrsoy632c.jpg

Stop teasing us, yogurt is soooooooo good! I totally had one this morning. I get so much joy from thinking about, discussing, and looking at pics of yogurt!!!!

I like adding a little protein powder to greek yogurt to make it even thicker. YUM! don't need ice cream..

I put a half scoop of cookies and cream protein powder in my fat free Greek yougurt, delish! I will have to snap a pic of it tomorrow morning, along with a partially eaten Quest bar, a bowl of maple and brown sugar oatmeal, and a steaming cup of black coffee!

I can't stand protein powder in greek yogurt, not sure why not. I can only deal with it in a smoothie (or actual shake, but I don't tend to waste calories on them). I like it in steel cut oats (vanilla) on a rare occasion when I have my oats on the sweeter side (not too sweet, I like berries and the protein powder, def no maple or brown sugar!).

For adding to greek yogurt, if you don't just want it plain (I love it plain) my favorite thing is walnut butter.

0% Fage is also amazing on roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    mmapags wrote: »

Depends. Low calorie compared to what. And what is the composition of the rest of said persons diet that day/week. Context and dose dude. Context and dose. It always amazes me how some people consistently struggle with this concept.

Cakes, cookies and other grain based desserts make up the highest percentage of calories out of 25 food groups in the US diet.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/foods-that-make-up-most-of-the-calories-american-consume-2015-2

Does not surprise me.

But I suspect that only a tiny percentage of those are the kind of "look, this is what this dessert you may not have in your culture is" foods or decorated cakes like the type photos were being shared of.

I don't really like cake (I like plenty of desserts, don't worry!), but even so the number of times per year cake is available at work is pretty small (I think 3 or 4 times last year, once when the Cubs won the World Series, once at the holiday party, once when several birthdays were in the week we had a work lunch, so they got Portillo's (sigh, I hate Portillo's) and the chocolate cake, and we may have had a goodbye party for someone.

So hardly why one is fat. (And when I was fat, I was less likely to partake in sweet eating in public, because I felt like I was being judged. I recall during period when I frequently had lunch with others at the Union League Club (I think you are local) everyone else would get a big cookie after lunch (they were all normal weight) and I never would.) I'd obviously eat extra calories elsewhere, of course, not saying otherwise.

Anyway, I think more run of the mill snacking (or other ways to consume excess calories) is likely part of it.

The 138 cal for grain-based sweets per day is actually not that huge, kind of surprised me, given how much is in that category, so I think that supports the idea that people are getting excess calories from a big mix of foods. You could also say that some (most) of the categories are ridiculously narrow which pre-determines the results.
This discussion has been closed.