New Phase: Empty Nest

Just wanted to hear some feedback on this topic.

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    It's a good time to take the time and make your health and fitness a priority. Our kids are out of the house now and I find it easier to make time to work out! Add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • darlamiller
    darlamiller Posts: 27 Member
    For me it was terrible, I was lost and it took me awhile to find myself !! I missed my girls so much , I didn't know what my role was anymore!! Now my husband and I fish together, etc.. we are best friends too.
    It just takes time !!
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    I'm not looking forward to it. My son is 18 and graciously has decided to stay at home until after his bachelors degree. My daughter is 15 and plans to move out just as soon as she turns 18. She plans to get a job at 16 and save every last dime to buy a cheap house and invite her besties to live with her as roommates.. I'm not ready for this crap.. I already had their lives planned out where we all lived together forever and would somehow become immortal and plot world domination.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    I've found it easier to focus on me.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I totally love being a retired empty-nester. I agree with many here; it leaves you plenty of time to focus on YOU and do what you need to keep yourself healthy and engaged. Hubby and I spend lots of quality time together, and (just as important) our own personal quality time apart. It takes time to find a new rhythm to your days, but you'll get there.
  • Princess6062
    Princess6062 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm single. When my daughter moved out I was happy as a lark :-) we were always fighting about something.. when my son moved out it was hard.. he only comes to visit once a year.. I miss him every time he leaves.. my daughter now lives in Vietnam with her new husband and my son is starting a new business in South Carolina. He just bought a new car which he is naming velociraptor :-)
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    I have one daughter who just went away to college. My husband travels for his job (he's typically away 6 - 8 weeks then home one week). It takes a little getting used to - the house is very quiet! The pros' - I don't have to cut my workouts short to make dinner; I can make whatever I want for dinner. The cons' - the house is quiet, quiet, quiet! I'm making an effort to go out more, and try new things.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    I am not there yet, I have a 22, 19, 13 year in the house so I have a ways to go. However, my 19 year old just joined the Army National Guard and will be shipped out to boot camp in November-January and I am out of mind at the moment. First holidays in 19 years we will not spend as a family :o:'( While I am looking forward to the empty nest in the aspect that I will have more alone time with my husband and freedom to do whatever, I know I will be a damn hot mess at first. But like I said, that 13 year gives me a while before I have to deal with a total empty nest.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    I can't fathom feeling any joy when my kids leave the nest.. We all get along great. My mom and I fought constantly but this isn't the case between my kids and I. We have our moments, but 90% of our relationship is nothing but FUN.
    Everyone I know whose kids have left the nest says my attitude towards it will change, but all I feel is a choking panic. What if they die in a car accident? What if they get shot or stabbed like my uncles and cousins? What if there is a tornado or earthquake or alien invasion??
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    I can't fathom feeling any joy when my kids leave the nest.. We all get along great. My mom and I fought constantly but this isn't the case between my kids and I. We have our moments, but 90% of our relationship is nothing but FUN.
    Everyone I know whose kids have left the nest says my attitude towards it will change, but all I feel is a choking panic. What if they die in a car accident? What if they get shot or stabbed like my uncles and cousins? What if there is a tornado or earthquake or alien invasion??

I agree... this is why I had another one.. :laugh:

Kidding... not really.
  • rundgrenrocks
    rundgrenrocks Posts: 105 Member
    GlassAngyl wrote: »

We just sent our first to college and I have an eleventh grader at home. I'm only now not crying about it every day! We are all extremely close and yes I miss her, but staring into the end of my 20-year "career" of raising them is what's getting to me. I'm going to need to join a lot of book clubs or something in two years! My husband has quite a few years of work left.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I like it, but I've had time to adjust. My kids are approaching forty. Two words; free time. You'll fill it up fast enough. This is time to explore hobbies and interests that have nothing to do with raising children or keeping a roof over your head. Find you again.
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    I have one, she's 8 and I have been crying about her leaving home for 8 years.. literally I was pregnant and would cry just thinking about it, still do...I know how pathetic that sounds.. but her and her daddy are my whole life!
    Not looking forward to that at all!!!!
    Hugs to all of you that have already been through this or is going through it now <3
  • rundgrenrocks
    rundgrenrocks Posts: 105 Member
    I have one, she's 8 and I have been crying about her leaving home for 8 years.. literally I was pregnant and would cry just thinking about it, still do...I know how pathetic that sounds.. but her and her daddy are my whole life!
    Not looking forward to that at all!!!!
    Hugs to all of you that have already been through this or is going through it now <3

I totally get that. The day they stop fitting in the car-shaped grocery cart, their last ballet recital, outgrowing clothes. Tears every time!

Like Louis CK says: “It’s true, everything that makes you happy is going to end at some point, and nothing good ends well. It’s like, if you buy a puppy, you’re bringing it home to your family’s saying, hey, look, everyone, we’re all gonna cry soon. Look at what I brought home. I brought home us crying in a few years. Here we go. Countdown to sorrow with a puppy.”