Juicing?

Hi all. Probably most of you saw fat sick and nearly dead movies?! Anyway just saw couple more movies and people state that juicing can really help you. Thought I might give a try say once a week? Anyone tried it, any thoughts? How to make juices tasty as I bet in the beginning drink broccoli and kale is not the most tastiest thing lol

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    There are so many tasty ways to get in broccoli and kale, but juicing is kinda hip in certain parts of the population, so you'll just have to figure out what is most important to you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    how are they stating that juicing can help you?
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    The concept does not make sense. They take out all the pulp (FIBER!) and drink all the sugar. How is that helpful? You do not get all the nutrients the body needs by drinking just juice. At least if you eat the whole fruit, or the whole veg, you get the fiber that goes along with it.

You can do something similar, like with a NutriBullet or a Ninja. Stick some greens and fruit together in there, add some water, and make a smoothie. You can add that to a healthy diet. I used to make green smoothies with my Ninja all the time. Tons of fiber. So good. But don't waste your time with a juicer.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    The guy who produced that movie is in the business of selling juicers........

If you want to increase your fruit and vegetable intake (usually a good thing) and don't want to have to chew them make smoothies & keep the fibre. Many people juicing report serious bouts of diarrhea....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Detox and apparently it gives you loads of energy, clears your skin, nourishes your body, helps to stop craving for bad foods etc in the movies they make it so appealing!! They also states that any animal based food is destroying our health so changing to plant based is the best

Yeah, they make it sound appealing because it's basically a sponsored ad for juicing.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member

Detox and apparently it gives you loads of energy, clears your skin, nourishes your body, helps to stop craving for bad foods etc in the movies they make it so appealing!! They also states that any animal based food is destroying our health so changing to plant based is the best

Detox isn't a thing (unless you've overdosed in which case you better get to a hospital). Don't fall for it. Save your money and learn how to eat for life. The diet industry will bombard you with flashy looking movies and books designed to sell you on some idea so they make money. It is mostly made up BS. There are no shortcuts and it doesn't have to be complicated or hard. Just watch what you eat. Track your calories in and your calories out. When the out is more than the in, you lose weight. No juice or detox required.

Good luck.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

yea, that is all a bunch of malarkey. If your livers and kidneys are working then you are all ready detoxing...
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Well yea, because they have an agenda. All documentaries have an agenda. They lost weight because they were in a calorie deficit. Period.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I've used juicing in the past as an addition to my diet, but never as a replacement. Currently, I use smoothies instead, due to the fibre removal in the juicing process. Juice lacks some of the essential nutrition our bodies need (fibre, fat, protein) and would not be balanced for micronutrients. If you are only thinking about doing it one day a week, I doubt it would be harmful, but I cant' see any great advantage to it either. In fact, you may find it incredibly miserable. Learn new habits that you can sustain a lifetime.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    I do smoothies once in a while instead of juice avocado, blueberry and chocolate protein powder is really good, so is spinach, banana, honey and almond milk (or regular milk) so go for on the go.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    I used to juice a lot, and at the time loved it. I agree with all naysayers above, that it's not sustainable, but it did give me tons of energy. I don't promote it, but go ahead and try it! I loved trying new combinations. I replaced lunch or dinner with it. But like everyone said above, you are throwing away the fiber...and there is so much pulp, it's hard to keep up with if you try to use it. I would make soups with the pulp, or bake muffins or quick breads with it, but there was so much, I just ended up composting it! Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

You need to take these crockumentaries with a huge grain of salt. In most cases, regardless of topic, documentaries are highly agenda driven.

Animal based food isn't destroying our health. Eating copious amounts of food is destroying our health. Eating diets with considerable amounts of highly processed, low nutrient foods is destroying our health. Not eating enough fruits and vegetables is destroying our health. Eating copious amounts of free sugars is destroying our health. Not moving and living sedentary lifestyles is destroying our health.

Pretty much any movement away from the SAD is going to result in improved health markers whether that diet includes animal products or not. I eat a very healthy diet...lots of veg...couple servings of fruit...lentils, beans, potatoes, lots of fish, some chicken and beef and healthy fats from nuts, avocados, good cooking oils, etc...All of my health markers improved from where I was 5 years ago and I'm pretty golden now...all the while eating animal products.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,155 Member
    I'm a fan of green juice, personally. I had a period of stomach paralysis several years ago and had to eliminate pretty much all fiber and fat in order to let my stomach heal, so juicing was a nutritional godsend and a blessed relief from endless sips of Ensure and protein powders. I still do occasional "resets" where I'll do 3 days of juicing. Those are generally after my busiest season at work and a brief juice fast with a variety of juices and nut milks helps break me from the caffeine and junk food habit I can get into during that time of year. I will say though, that while the reset feels good, I'm ALWAYS glad to go back to solid food when it's over and since I usually do the juice while on a vacation or a long weekend, I can tell you I could never, ever survive my usual schedule on nothing but juice. I would hate the world and the world would hate me.

However, I don't think juicing is worth much in the normal course of things. First, if you're making your own juice, it's incredibly time, waste and mess intensive. It also adds up quickly in terms of cost. You have to consider that it takes probably 10 pounds of produce to make a glass of juice. That giant bunch of kale you've just washed and stemmed? It *might* yield a quarter cup of juice. Also, keep in mind that everything has to be trimmed down to fit into the juicer, just like with a food processor, so that's a lot of time and effort too. Citrus peels aren't great for the juicer, so all of those either need to be peeled or juiced with a citrus juicer. Then you have to scrub the leftover pulp and goo out of the mesh basket and throw away most of the actual vegetable. For every glass of juice I made, I'd have at least two filled-up produce bags of pulp to toss. You'll also be finding that pulp EVERYWHERE next time you wipe down your kitchen. Keep in mind, this was all with a high-end Breville juicer. I imagine if you went with anything under $150 or so, the time it would take to prep food for a less powerful motor and the resulting mess would be even greater.

It's an expensive and time-intensive hobby. Especially to dabble one day a week. But there are a ton of recipes out there, Pinterest is good and there are lots of free or 99-cent books for Kindle with recipes. I just found it wasn't really worth the effort once I could eat solid food again...
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    IMO here's the only way juicing might benefit you

Step 1 juice

Step 2 pour the juice down the sink

Step 3 eat what was left of the fruits and
    vegetables you juiced
  • csneely
    csneely Posts: 3 Member
    I just finished a 11 day juice cleanse but I modified and added all vegetable pureed soups for dinner and sometimes I did smoothies for breakfast. I think that it's about the same is just eating fruits and veggies calorie wise, but less fiber. My tastes definitely changed and was adding lots more kale/greens to my juices after the first few days, and less apple/pineapple. I would suggest a few days rather than 1 day at a time if it's something you want to do.
  • Brimixed
    Brimixed Posts: 186 Member
    I love juicing... Pinterest has a lot of great ideas. I guarantee that you'll get sick and tired of cleaning the juicer though! Lol My favorite includes ginger, apples, and carrots! There is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding juicing... just make sure it's a supplement to your regular diet