Do You Think C25K Increases Too Fast?

Just really a discussion here to see if others feel the same way.

I'm on my second round of C25K. Did it last Fall and made it through but week 8 was a sloppy mess! Then I spent the winter and the summer being an inactive slug. Decided to take it up again. I am pretty much at goal weight. I'm 5'7", 145 lbs, sedentary office worker that gets little other exercise.

I was mildly surprised and pleased with myself that when I restarted C25K, I was much better this time at Week 1 than last time. Must be some muscle memory there! I made it through Weeks 1 through 3 with no problem. Well, honestly, Week 3 was where it started to feel hard again, but, I actually ran a little bit longer in my cool down so was feeling pretty good. My app had Week 3 had 4 intervals: Two 90 second jogs alternating with two 3 minute jogs.

Yesterday was Week 4. I didn't make it, which for me means I will repeat the day until I make it. But I felt like the increase was a bit too much. I went from 90 second/3 minute intervals to 3 minute/5 minute intervals. I could not do but about 45 seconds of the last 5 minute interval. I'd like to say it was the heat (87 degrees yesterday) or maybe I was tired, who knows, but I honestly feel the increase just jumped too much. Maybe you "young'uns" don't have this issue. Anyway, no big deal, I will repeat, but I can't say it did a lot for me mentally and I *need* that mental reward of completion to feel good about myself. Tomorrow is the weekend so I'm going to be a bit more rested and I'll go out in the morning and see if that helps.

Not really complaining, just wondering if anyone else felt that sometimes the jumps were too much, or do you think they are just right?

Replies

• twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    I always wondered why on week 5, day 3 it jumps up to a full 20 minute run, then steps back to intervals for week 6, day 1. :confused:

But aside from that, I remember having trouble too on the jump from 90sec/3mins to 3mins/5mins and from 3mins/5mins to 5mins/8mins. Both of those I tend to repeat several times.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I couldn't stick to it. I ended up developing my own way that I was more comfortable with.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I did it years ago and I didn't think the jumps were too much. That said, a lot of people try to go too fast rather than just focusing on completing.

It could also be just a bad day...I did a 20K road ride on Wednesday and it was an off day...on a nice endurance cruise I average a little over 17 MPH and finish in about 42 minutes...I ended up finishing in 46 minutes...for whatever reason, I lost my legs at about half way which is not normal...but it happens.
  • jenno369
    jenno369 Posts: 24 Member
    I don't know much about it, but a friend of mine is using "none to run" instead of C25K (which I suggested) because she felt the jumps in C25K were too abrupt. She is finding NTR to be more gradual and is really enjoying it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I did it years ago and I didn't think the jumps were too much. That said, a lot of people try to go too fast rather than just focusing on completing.

It could also be just a bad day...I did a 20K road ride on Wednesday and it was an off day...on a nice endurance cruise I average a little over 17 MPH and finish in about 42 minutes...I ended up finishing in 46 minutes...for whatever reason, I lost my legs at about half way which is not normal...but it happens.
    ''

I agree. I don't think the jumps are too much. I think they're too much if you're running too fast or if you haven't built a sufficient walking base, maybe.

A lot of people really do try to run too fast, and that's not the point of C25K. Don't expect to run the full 5K when you finish. Just expect to run for half an hour.

If you're having trouble, SLOW DOWN. You should be able to sing along to your music while you're doing the run intervals. If you can't do that, you're going too fast.

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    jenno369 wrote: »
    I don't know much about it, but a friend of mine is using "none to run" instead of C25K (which I suggested) because she felt the jumps in C25K were too abrupt. She is finding NTR to be more gradual and is really enjoying it.

Oh, I should look at that (although I am on week 4 now!!).

As to the other comments on speed, I am "shuffling". Basically going through the motion of lifting the feet up in a semi-jog. I think walkers can pass me by. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    CMNVA wrote: »

As to the other comments on speed, I am "shuffling". Basically going through the motion of lifting the feet up in a semi-jog. I think walkers can pass me by. :)

And that's perfectly fine. Speed comes later. My "run" is barely faster than my walk - although the more races I do the better it gets.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

If both feet are off the floor, you're a runner...
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    The heat could be a perfectly good reason why it was an off day as well. I needed to do a timed mile yesterday and I headed out when it was 82 degrees without realizing how hot/humid it was yesterday. Now, since it was a timed mile, I was pushing to run faster than normal.. but I was also really struggling. Normally with a timed mile I would do both a warmup/cooldown jog. Yesterday, my cooldown was a pretty slow walk. (And this comes from someone that easily runs a 5k).

The other part is that I have found that most of my runs are mental. I used to ride my bike a lot more than I ran. After a few weeks of running, I went out on a ride. I realized that when I hit a difficult part of my ride, I would have positive thoughts knowing I could do it. With running, I would spend my time counting down the minutes or miles. I found myself saying "if I run another 1/2 mile, I can quit." Now, I usually didn't quit, but once I changed the self talk to knowing I could do it- I just went out and did it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Not really complaining, just wondering if anyone else felt that sometimes the jumps were too much, or do you think they are just right?

It's not so much the individual intervals that you need to think about, but how the whole session fits together. Also worth looking at the general structure of the plan.

I'd also observe that about 80% of running is the mental aspect, it's very easy to psych yourself out.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Thanks for all your thoughts. I'm excited to see how I do tomorrow morning. This little heat wave we are having is probably not helping!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    I was a walker before I became a runner, so had pretty good fitness. I had no problem with C25k except the jump to 20 minutes. I split the difference the first time because I lacked confidence in my abilities. The next time I did it just fine.

I agree that for most people, if you are having problems, slow down.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    No, the opposite for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    I completed it at age 62, having never run more than 100 yds in my life! I didn't understand the reason behind some of the programming but was able to do everything the first time. But it was scary to try some of those weeks! When starting, I was just hoping to make it to 1 mile. But I would never run in 87 degrees. I don't like it over 70!
    Kudos to everyone working their way through it, no matter what you have to repeat. It just shows that you have more courage to try!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Don't underestimate how much impact heat and humidity has on you. Running in this weather is tough. It will slow you down/make things harder.

A little info on the structure of running plans.... In most plans you have several weeks of building followed by a week of easy runs. This is so you body has time to adapt and recover. No one can keep increasing steadily without taking some breaks. This is true even for plans like I am doing for my marathon training. There are always built in 'easy' weeks.

Good luck.
  • nomorewombat
    nomorewombat Posts: 25 Member
    Because I am starting from being very overweight, I developed my own version which will see a gradual increase over 40 weeks to be able to run 30mins continuously and hopefully be injury free in the process. I think people forget just how much of a pounding the legs take when heavy people start to run, so a more gradual increase in running times is less daunting and less stressful on the body.
    Basically for my version I did this - Week 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 5, 4, 5, 6 etc.
  • ashley52601
    ashley52601 Posts: 42 Member
    Having completed it about 5 years ago, I can say now that I don't think it increases too quickly. At the time, it seemed completely unreasonable when it jumped to 20 minutes but you know what? I did it. I told myself if the program was designed as such, it was for a reason, that I could do it and just made myself keep going. As others have said running is almost completely a mental game, once you can get over the mental hurdle, you're golden. A few months after finishing my c25k, I went from never running more then 5 miles at a time to deciding I wanted to run a half marathon. New Years Eve I ran 5 miles, made the decision that night and the next morning (New Years Day at 4am) ran 13 miles straight, not stopping once, just to prove it to myself. Looking back, it was INCREDIBLY dumb but it just goes to show how much of it is mental. I went on to run 13 miles for the next 3 weekends and then completed my half marathon. I was so lucky not to injure myself. Anyway, having said all of that, you must be crazy to be running in that heat! That will have a huge impact and is just one reason why I run at 4am. If you need more time, then take it. The important thing is that you're moving at all. Just try not to doubt yourself and see how far it will take you. Best of luck!
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    I did it last year and was pretty miserable. Made it though and haven't run since lol. I wanted to know I could do it but bad back big boobs and a dislike for pain didn't make it my favorite form of workout.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    For me C2K would be way too fast but I also now why it would be too fast for me.
    I have exercise induced asthma. Basically if I exercise and I am not trained well then I get and asthma attack; no air and a heart rate that is insane. I resemble one of those cartoon characters that is floored.Sounds funny but is in fact rather scary.
    I now run 4-6 km as a distance but basically got there by building at just under half speed of the C2K. I am aiming to be at 10K by the end of the year and I am going slow slow slow Listen to my body.
    I should not that running is not my only exercise I also do weights, walking, cycling and a cardioclass (total body workout). Personally I think the variety also helps me to increase my running at a slightly higher than would be natural for me