Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    AB0215 wrote: »
    A calorie is not always a calorie...and it's not always just about calories in and calories out.

A 200 calorie donut is definitely going to affect the body differently than a 200 calorie avocado....or 200 calories of steak...

Can you elaborate here? Are you talking about weight loss or nutrition? If you're talking about nutrition, this is the least controversial concept on these boards.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I asked Google. Apple cider is what we would probably call cloudy apple juice.

that's it. you folks need to better distribute words

Hard Cider
    Apple Juice
    Apple Cider

Cider
    Apple Juice
    Cloudy Apple Juice

Your language just needs a good re-balancing.

Well no. We invented cider so we get to stipulate that it's always and forever alcoholic.

There's apple juice from the supermarket, of varying qualities with cloudy being the fanciest but likely still pasteurised. Or you can buy apples/go to a hipster juice shop and get fresh/freshly squeezed apple juice.

Calling any apple juice sans alcohol cider makes no sense whatsoever. Ask the Romans and native Britons who got together at the time and cemented the beverage as a staple drink.

I think we can blame those Puritans you guys foisted over onto our continent for de-alcoholizing things. We're still dealing from the hangover those joyless gits left behind.

Do you at least have alcoholic eggnogg? Cause that *kitten* is awesome.

Yeah, we have both kinds of eggnog.
  • lemurcat12
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Yes, people. Please remember that if any part of the country/world does something differently than Texas does it, they're doing it wrong and should be shamed for not being just like Texas.
    KC BBQ? Garbage cuz not just like Texas.
    Chili anywhere? Garbage cuz not just like Texas.
    Montana rodeos? Garbage cuz not just like Texas.
    Alabama football? Garbage cuz not in Texas.

People shouldn't even be allowed to use these words to describe these things because Texas does them slightly different which completely invalidates what the entire rest of the country does.

I don't know that Texas has its own style of pizza but if so, Chicago, NY and St Louis definitely need to stop calling their stuff pizza and start calling it garbage.

I love Memphis BBQ personally, but NC and KC have good versions too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    On that note, if I visit Texas for food, I'm getting TexMex. For BBQ, I'm going to Alabama, Tennessee, KC or the Carolinas.

For North Carolina BBQ, eastern or western?

Though I'm veggie and no longer would consume, I lived in NC for a while, and hubby and I developed opinions about this.

Not trying to supplant (or dis) Pork Culture, but jackfruit with good BBQ sauce is tasty.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Nah. Just KC barbecue is trash. I can get down on some Carolina style pork BBQ any day, and those vinegar and mustard based sauces are awesome.

Not enough experience with Memphis BBQ to make a judgement, but as long as they don't smear it with sugar and tomato sauce, I think we'd get along.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Nah. Just KC barbecue is trash. I can get down on some Carolina style pork BBQ any day, and those vinegar and mustard based sauces are awesome.

Not enough experience with Memphis BBQ to make a judgement, but as long as they don't smear it with sugar and tomato sauce, I think we'd get along.

It's kind of like Kansas City, but it's often a thinner sauce and has more vinegar for a sweet-and-sour kinda thing. It's the one that tastes "right" to me, because I grew up not too far from there. Dry rubs are really popular for ribs in Memphis-style too.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    I love a good dry rib.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    On that note, if I visit Texas for food, I'm getting TexMex. For BBQ, I'm going to Alabama, Tennessee, KC or the Carolinas.

Though I'm veggie and no longer would consume, I lived in NC for a while, and hubby and I developed opinions about this.

I'll eat all of it. I just love BBQ. All sorts.

Sort of like pizza. Thin crust, thick crust, Chicago, New York, fancy, papa john's...I like it all.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Not trying to supplant (or dis) Pork Culture, but jackfruit with good BBQ sauce is tasty.

I keep meaning to try that stuff, if only for the excuse to eat baked beans on the side for protein.
  • trinateegardens
    trinateegardens Posts: 15 Member
    It's unpopular to say that you exercise for calories, many often feel the goal would be superior if it's done for fitness. I exercise for calories and I don't mind not being superior. Fitness and enjoyment are just pleasant side effects.

Many would discourage eating when not hungry. I don't find anything wrong with that. If my calories are accounted for, you bet your boots I'm going to eat hedonically and enjoy every single bite without the least bit of guilt, and I don't consider it to be an unhealthy relationship with food. I think it's perfectly normal to eat for the sole purpose of enjoying food as long as it's not detrimental to the weight loss process as a whole.

Many people would consider going very low on calories after a high calorie day to be detrimental and something that could fuel a binge and restrict mentality. I'm not afraid of these tactics because I've never had an eating disorder and it's all calculated, planned, and relatively anxiety-free. I do it as a "naturally thin people mimicking" strategy not as a punishment. The way you mentally approach such a practice makes all the difference.

If a high protein diet is not sustainable I feel it's perfectly okay to eat as much protein as is reasonably manageable. I feel for some people "high protein" is the new "low carb" (which was the new "low fat"), that is, a rigid panic inducing requirement for weight loss with no middle ground. A person's goals don't need to be identical to everyone else's, so if slightly higher muscle loss (the difference is not even that large) is an acceptable tradeoff for someone, then so be it.

I don't believe that crash dieting is always bad. I'm very careful when I voice this opinion and I don't voice it often because it may be mistaken for promoting crash dieting for everyone, but there are cases where I believe it could be okay.

I don't think people "need" to lift any more than they "need" to run. It's perfectly okay to not enjoy lifting and you're not inferior if you don't.

Yes, I like using the treadmill. Sue me.

Thsnk you for the comment on lifting. Lots of lifters look down on those who dont lift. I do what i enjoy, lots of different things
  • fatgirlandrobin
    fatgirlandrobin Posts: 34 Member
    My unpopular opinion is people need to focus on themselves and stop projecting onto/trying to "solve" other peoples problems for them, especially unsolicited advice. IE, telling a fat person what to do with their body. Like, who freaking cares if a person is fat? It's up to them to decide if they want to lose weight and how. Especially when it's strangers on the internet who have no personal connection to them. If it bothers you so much, speak out against businesses that profit on people being fat like the fast food and dieting industries. Telling a fat person they're "unhealthy" or "not doing enough" isn't anyone's business.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

I really don't care what the yankees up in Ohio do with their stews.

IT'S NOT STEW! Ground beef does not a stew make.
    earlnabby wrote: »
    We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.

This is all correct.

My family's cuisine is Eastern-European. "Lukshen" (i.e. egg noodles) are a thing in soup and casseroles. I wouldn't really class them as Asian nor Italian.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

I really don't care what the yankees up in Ohio do with their stews.

IT'S NOT STEW! Ground beef does not a stew make.
    earlnabby wrote: »
    We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.

This is all correct.

My family's cuisine is Eastern-European. "Lukshen" (i.e. egg noodles) are a thing in soup and casseroles. I wouldn't really class them as Asian nor Italian.

Yeah, I actually agree that central European noodles (and Eastern too) are a thing, they are the first I had, and I would agree that noodles is the generic and includes pasta. Clarified in a post on noodles specifically after the one you quoted. (Noodle casserole was a thing in '70s midwestern and western US cuisine too, but one I opted out of strenuously and am glad is less common too, although I found the cream of mushroom soup or canned tuna or ruining perfectly good leftover turkey the real crimes thereof.)

I do agree with what I saw as the key points of VintageFeline's post (not all that seriously) re stew and chili with noodles.
This discussion has been closed.