Is anyone else like this.. please help

2»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Most of us don't eat enough potassium to balance out the salt in our system. Salt and potassium work hand in hand to control water levels in the cells. Salt draws water into the cell and potassium releases it. You might try eating foods that are rich in potassium and see if that helps.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    I know how much water weight I carry because I weigh myself daily. Just from last week I'm up 7 pounds, but I'm dieting. I can't get rid of the excess water. I have to completely eat things without salt to get rid of the salt. Then when I eat normal it comes right back on. When I'm not carrying around extra salt water I feel great. I can't go without eating salt. It's impossible

You could talk to the doctor about a dieuretic or something if it's really bad. But iny experience, even diuretics can be harmful if not taken as directed. But yeah that'd be for a doctor to help u with.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Basically my stomach just pouches out, my face and stomach get bloated. The only way to get it off is to eat cereal and pb sandwiches for 5 days straight. Then I lose the water weight. When I go back to normal everyday eating it comes right back on. It's like I'm carrying this constant 5 pounds of water weight that makes me fell like crap. That's the best way to describe it. I can't get rid of the water weight no mater how much water I drink on a daily basis

Cereal and bread (pb sandwiches) have quite a bit of sodium as a rule. It is odd to me that eating those things exclusively would get RID of the water weight. Are you on any medications which may cause water retention?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Hello all, it does not matter how much water I drink, when I eat foods with salt in them I retain water. The foods I eat aren't really all that high in salt, but for me any salt is a problem. I must eat protein and most proteins have salt. I drink and drink and my weight still stays up 5 or 6 pounds. I drink 80 ounces a day of water. That is plenty for me who is 5 foot. I also have coffee. They only way I can get rid of the salt is to not eat any salt for 5 days and then the water weight comes off. That's impossible. It's also hard to see what I have lost for the week because I'm carrying so much water on me.Please advise.
    Water weight isn't FAT weight. If your clothes are looser, then who cares what the scale says.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Are you sure it is water retention? You say you are "Dieting" how much weight have you lost overall?

If your weight is going up and down by 5 pounds or so I would suggest that perhaps you are eating at maintenance and that when you go on the 5 day PB sandwich and cereal diet to get rid of the "water" you are actually cutting your calories back to a deficit and that is why the weight comes off. When you go back to eating normally the weight comes back on again.

If you are sure it is water retention then like the other posters I would suggest getting a proper diagnoses from your doctor as this could be a sign of an underlying health issue. You can't deal with any problem until you have verified the cause.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    You mention bloating being in the mid section.

Are you eating a lot of vegetables and fibre?

Fluid retention will affect extremities more so than the midsection.