Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What the Health?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    stormcrow2 wrote: »

I know plenty of vegans that are unhealthy. The ones I came across just eats a bunch of Oreo cookies and low activity.

If only there were a Diet where I could eat bunches of Oreos!

Right? But just the traditional ones, none of those new fandangle ones.

Poppy*kitten*.

The double-stuff are awesome. Surprisingly, as much as I like the double-stuff, the new thin ones are really good too.

And the sparkly pink peep flavored ones will change the color of your poop.
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    I'm going to make a documentary as to why meat is awesome. I can make up lies and say that Kale causes osteoporosis and pancreatic cancer and people would believe me just because its in a documentary.

I think Atkins beat you to it.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

I know plenty of vegans that are unhealthy. The ones I came across just eats a bunch of Oreo cookies and low activity.

Poppy*kitten*.

The double-stuff are awesome. Surprisingly, as much as I like the double-stuff, the new thin ones are really good too.

Oh, fun! I'mma have to try that now. Is that why the Peep Cleanse (TM) included never eating the eyes? So that it wouldn't be staring up at you when you're finished?
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member

Poppy*kitten*.

Oh, fun! I'mma have to try that now. Is that why the Peep Cleanse (TM) included never eating the eyes? So that it wouldn't be staring up at you when you're finished?

I could get behind a peep cleanse. and Double Stuff are old school anyway I meant the new flavored ones, seem yucky to me. But I do like peeps. Must not eat the peeps. They resemble animals, that can't be vegan.

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Gummy bears then.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Peeps all the way! I always "accidently" over-buy at Easter and oops, can't let the extras go to waste...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Peeps get better the second year. Crunchy and chewy
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Peeps get better the second year. Crunchy and chewy

Ha ha like the stale ones you buy on sale.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm going to make a documentary as to why meat is awesome. I can make up lies and say that Kale causes osteoporosis and pancreatic cancer and people would believe me just because its in a documentary.

I think Atkins beat you to it.

Heh. Cute. Granted, that's not remotely like something Dr. Atkins would say (given his requirement of "foundational vegetables etc.), but a good joke nonetheless.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Okay, So I can only speak of myself from my own experience. I suffered for over a period of 5 years with severe gout. When I first had my gout attack I though I had broken my foot or fractured it. After some time of studying I realized that the Red meat is what caused the high uric acid in my body. So I went on and off of it. Every time I started eating red meat at a high rate, I felt the attack coming. I went off for about 6 months. Then started it back again, then boom, it was there. Not only that, I also experience heavy allergies during the season with servere red and itchy eyes. The allergies I had all my life and I would break out in hives just about every year. Also I had to get an allergy shot every year between August and October in order to just breathe. I live in the Dallas, TX area. Ragweed and pollen was high. I did hear claims that Plant based foods can revere all this.

So when I first started, and about 3 years of going on and off, My gout did not come back... However, my allergies did not go away. Well I was really confused about Vegan and Vegetarian and realized that I was still eating some dairy, especially in sweets since that's my weakness.

So I started the High Carb low Fat, no dairy, etc.. vegan. My allergies improved about 90%. Not all the way gone, but I haven't been to the doctor for shots in 2 years.

My mother also is a type II diabetic and she's been to the doctor for years, tried other diets, etc.. She has thyroid disease and severe knee pain. She recently started the HCLF vegan diet for about a month and I can honestly say, I've seen tremendous results. No blood test as of yet, but her energy is coming back and she is shredding pounds.

So about the Film. Is it a Propaganda? Yes I believe so. Just like with many other films out there. However, just like with any other film or study, it's best to do your due diligence to determine what's true and what's not.

I highly doubt that we can determine Absolute Truth to anything when it comes to health and scientific studies. I've heard and read some testimonies where a HCLF vegan didn't provide any benefits. I believe the point of the film is to get people to start talking and thinking and taking control over their health. Rather it's a 80% plant base and some meat or 100% plant based. I've seen people, for the first time in their lives, started to take control over their health. Will they stay on this vegan diet? I'm not sure, but the film caused some awareness that there is an epidemic problem with our society and culture.

Can we truly find 100% truth and facts from the best diet to eat? I'm not sure, but I want to believe that we can be pretty close to it. Obviously something has NOT been working right in the past 50 years, if obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease is on the rise.

Some things I can't tell you want I don't know, but I can surely tell you what I do know. I do know that the American culture has strayed away from plant and fiber foods and has consumed more meat and dairy than ever before. Is that a fact? Yes. Let that be the starting point. Now what I don't know is that Meat and Dairy is the main cause for every single disease. That for sure, I don't know. Could it be that we can have meat but need to increase our fiber and plants? Maybe.

What's the correlation between the them?

I'm curious. During this time how much weight did you lose? Did you increase your activity?

You are falling into a trap of confirmation bias. There are a multitude of changes you made during this process - some you are aware of, some you are not aware of. Note this is why scientists hold peer review to remove as much bias as possible from the process.

My guess is that you are feeling the results of a calorie deficit resulting in weight loss, which has caused a positive feedback - what you have experienced as increased energy, diminished allergic response, reduced inflammation, etc.

What you actually ate had little to do with this. This was simply your personal tactic to get to a caloric deficit.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    lauracups wrote: »
    Amy8Lyn wrote: »
    My vegan agenda and I enjoyed the film. I do think though as with any food or health documentary you need to do your own

Nota bene: Steak/bacon/burger jokes? Are we still doing this? I think there are ways to share your opinions without demeaning or making fun of others beliefs.

Or..you can have a sense of humor, life is too short to take oneself so serious

Or maybe meat eaters lifes are to short to take seriously. Lol before you get mad its a joke, you all can say its "over dramatized" but do your research and still meat is pretty bad for you. Not going to argue on here, just liked to make the joke/poke at someone. Sorry it had to be you.

Ever hear of the Blue Zones?

Vegan mockumentaries don't tend to acknowledge those

What I find so interesting about the Zones is that there's only one vegetarian group that meets the requirements, but of that group there's a sub-group that still eats fish, (so pescetarian), and they have even better longevity of life outcomes than their vegetarian counterparts. It's a very 'closed' community and they're pretty similar in other aspects, (it's the Seventh Day Adventist group in Loma Linda, CA).

I grew up Seventh-day Adventist. A large number of them are vegan, but most vegans would call them "plant based" because they do it only for health reasons and have no restrictions on leather or other animal products. I grew up calling them vegan though, so it's hard to adjust to the new term. I don't know how that affects the studies that shows longevity in my group.

A large number of them are also not vegetarian at all, but for the most part they do not eat the "unclean" animals (the animals listed in the bible as unclean). Mostly catfish, shrimp, and pork.

I'm now non-religious, but I have a hard time eating pork unless it's bacon or pepperoni. Consistency is the mark of a small mind. <Sarcasm emoji>