Calf issues - trainers or doctors

Been running on and off for 3 years but only ever managed to get to 5km.

I have previously had problem with pain in my arches and eventually went to a running shop to have my gait analysed (treadmill not natural) and they recommended some shoes that solved that problem completely. However since day one of having them I have been getting excruciating cramp in both calves as soon as I start to run. I put it down to teething issues and thought it would go away. Over the last 3 months I dialed my runs right back to try and get used to them but it has only lessened slightly.

I have signed up for a half marathon in March so I am desperate to get this sorted and would very much like to avoid the dr if it is at all possible.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Try stretching your calves every single hour for 30 seconds, and right before running too. Use a reminder app if you forget. Post an update in a few days. :+1:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    sounds like the shoes are the problem - can you return them?

what is the drop in the shoes (if there is a large change that can cause calf cramps - especially if they are like zero drop)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Yeah, sounds like the shoes...

Do you have a training plan to get you from 5k to HM?
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member

what is the drop in the shoes (if there is a large change that can cause calf cramps - especially if they are like zero drop)

I went from new balance 860 v3 with a heel drop of 11.4mm to Mizuno wave inspire with a heel drop of 12mm so a 6mm change seems significant to me.

Unfortunately as I thought I could work through it I have gone past my return date so that's not an option
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Try stretching your calves every single hour for 30 seconds, and right before running too. Use a reminder app if you forget. Post an update in a few days. :+1:

Thanks I will give it a go
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Try foam/stick rolling the calves and arch to make sure they are loose to start with.
    Also- the new shoes maybe have less of a heel drop than the old ones -- and you might be feeling that extra stretch a lot, especially if you normally wear heels/ have plantar-fascii or tight achilles.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

I went from new balance 860 v3 with a heel drop of 11.4mm to Mizuno wave inspire with a heel drop of 12mm so a 6mm change seems significant to me.

Unfortunately as I thought I could work through it I have gone past my return date so that's not an option

11.4mm to 12mm - is pretty much the same (.6mm is miniscule) - what you are describing sounds like you got stability shoes when you need neutral
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

11.4mm to 12mm - is pretty much the same (.6mm is miniscule) - what you are describing sounds like you got stability shoes when you need neutral

NB 860's are a stability shoe, I wear them.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Another vote for shoes being at least part of the issue. Normally if it was a matter of cramping due to overuse or dehydration etc one would expect it to be one calf or the other not both.

It may well be worth your while to book an appointment with either a physiotherapist or athletic therapist just to rule out other issues. (Don't be surprised if they recommend hip & glute exercises as weakness & imbalances can create pain in other parts of your legs)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Reducing by 6mm could be an issue, but both of those models have the same heel-toe elevation.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I would try to return or exchange them anyway. They fitted you with an incorrect shoe. I was mis-fitted twice! I too was given an anti-pronation shoe instead of neutral The store had a good return policy. A store doesn't want to be known for improper fittings.
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    edited September 2017
    I sorted mine by wearing a decent pair of calf compression sleeves. Not cheap at £40 but worked 100% for me. Tried cheaper ones but they never worked.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0711B9GRP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member

Reducing by 6mm could be an issue, but both of those models have the same heel-toe elevation.

It's 0.6 mm, no one can see, or probably feel the difference .
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    icemom011 wrote: »

It's 0.6 mm, no one can see, or probably feel the difference .

Yes, essentially they're both the same. If it had been 6mm down I would have agreed with the point above, but it's not.

What I couldn't find was whether one is a motion control model or not, but even then the symptoms described suggest something other than shoe mechanics.