Keto, anyone?

Replies

• browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Do any of y'all do bulletproof coffee?

Every morning (except today, I left my coffee in my car). Because of the fats and calories, it is my breakfast most mornings.
  • kortneyderouen
    kortneyderouen Posts: 1 Member
    I'm just starting on this journey (this is day 10 for me), and I'm still feeling my way through this. After just these few days, I feel better than I have in a very long time.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories, and I hope you all have a great day!
  • ikeandmike1212
    ikeandmike1212 Posts: 77 Member
    Do any of y'all do bulletproof coffee?

I've hard of it but I haven't tried it yet.

• ikeandmike1212
    I'm on day 10 of keto. I lost 8 lbs the first week. I was diagnosed with Lupus last year, but only because my blood work shows large amounts of inflammation. I don't have any other Lupus symptoms. I wanted to be a couples month in on the keto diet before seeing my rheumatologist again in November, when I will have more blood work done. I'm hoping this WOE will decrease my inflammation. I'm still learning as I go. I learned that you cannot compare your results to others. Everybody is different. I obviously had a lot of water weight, so losing 8 lbs the first week is ok. Some people may not lose that much, some may lose more.

I am continuously amazed at how internal inflammation can affect the human body. I hope keto gives you some relief.

• EllyAHJ
    EllyAHJ Posts: 27 Member
    I have just started Keto after being moderately low carb for a few months. I have felt transformed by low carb, but I haven't managed to lose a pound...

I would really like to meet some friends to share this change.
  • desertsprout
    desertsprout Posts: 3 Member
    Hubby and I do bulletproof coffee, but it's honestly a pain! I just ordered keto coffee and it's going to be SO much more convenient. It's already got MCT oil, grass-fed butter, and pink salt in it. They're in on-the-go packs so all we have to do is mix them in water, hot or cold. We're super excited about it! :)
  • ikeandmike1212
    I have just started Keto after being moderately low carb for a few months. I have felt transformed by low carb, but I haven't managed to lose a pound...

I would really like to meet some friends to share this change.

Hello Elizabeth. Hopefully you can get some information here that can help bet a better re-start. As I've posted before, it may be a good idea to get some information about keto. Dr. Eric Berg and others on Youtube are great professional resources. Keto can be challenging however; it's like anything else a person is serious about doing. I think having a full understanding of what you need to do and being prepared is going to be the key to your success.

Fortunately, I had previously included lots of raw/cooked vegetable in my diet, so that was not an issue for me. I find that adjusting to not consuming refined foods, processed foods, rice, corn soy, most dairy, soda, tea, has really not been that bad. I really thought I'd miss sweets (I ate sugary treats all the time).

In following all the conventional diet advice, I restricted carbs, with a low fat diet. The fist thing that always happened is that a ended up with unbearable headaches. Having history of migraines, you can guess that didn't last very long. Then I stumbled onto keto... <3<3<3

In this short thread, myself and others had/have health issues, on top of the desire to loose weight. I think the general consensus here is that keto has/can demonstrate positive health-related results.
  • I am not on the keto diet...yet. I am very interested as clearly the reviews and results speak for themselves. However I am soooo confused. All of this information is so overwhelming. I don't know where to start. I don't have a caliper to check my body fat percentage, I have no idea how much protein to eat. I am a very busy mom of two kids and I have tried other diets which require meal prep and I always fail (there aren't enough hours in the day). I am very discouraged and need to lose weight (25lbs). This seems doable but my main hurdle is going to be those bad carbs. Sweets, chips, crackers etc.

Can anyone tell me where to start (that isn't so confusing)?
  • My apologies, I didn't see there was a second page with resources :)
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    I've been doing keto for a month now and feel great. I was doing 5:2 fasting and when I stopped losing weight I started keto. Fat loss is slow but I feel so much better and clothes fit better as I no longer retain fluid. I had read that keto can improve memory - I hope that's true but haven't find it so just yet. I do sometimes miss carbs so have a slice of bread or muffin once a week as treat. I feel like such a rebel eating high fat food!
  • ikeandmike1212
    My apologies, I didn't see there was a second page with resources :)

As you are preparing for your keto journey, when you get time, check out Dr. Berg's videos on Youtube. Watch them all. He speaks in plain language, the videos are fairly short (or a busy mom) and I think that will help you with your questions. Being informed and planning is critical to success.
  • Kastastrophie
    Kastastrophie Posts: 2,918 Member
    I love keto!
  • ikeandmike1212
    kimothy38 wrote: »
    I've been doing keto for a month now and feel great. I was doing 5:2 fasting and when I stopped losing weight I started keto. Fat loss is slow but I feel so much better and clothes fit better as I no longer retain fluid. I had read that keto can improve memory - I hope that's true but haven't find it so just yet. I do sometimes miss carbs so have a slice of bread or muffin once a week as treat. I feel like such a rebel eating high fat food!

I haven't cheated at this point; October 6 will be my 3 mo anniversary and weigh-in time. I don't want to sabotage myself. when I started this journey, I just knew I'd be craving sweets, however, to my surprise, I missed bread. So before that drove me crazy, I figured I'd better locate a low carb bread recipe, just in case. Being the researcher, I scoured Youtube, paying attention to not just the videos, but the responses from those who already tried the recipes. I passed on the cloud bread and the oopsie bread. I settled on one and hit the jackpot! I was so thrilled that I immediately doubled the recipe, which created a 9x5 loaf. The best part of all, NO carbs!!!! It's made from almond flour, which makes it taste nutty and it is delicious. It you like nuts, you'll love it.

When "life slows down a bit", I'll share the recipe.
  • if one has had gallbladder issues and its been removed how does one do keto? high fat diets for most who have had theirs removed usually causes diarrhea and other stomach issues. I know 2 of my sisters had theirs out and they cant eat high fat, a friend of ours has the same issues,.you cant make enough bile to break down the fat. so Im wondering why and how it could be healthy?
  • kimothy38 wrote: »

I haven't cheated at this point; October 6 will be my 3 mo anniversary and weigh-in time. I don't want to sabotage myself. when I started this journey, I just knew I'd be craving sweets, however, to my surprise, I missed bread. So before that drove me crazy, I figured I'd better locate a low carb bread recipe, just in case. Being the researcher, I scoured Youtube, paying attention to not just the videos, but the responses from those who already tried the recipes. I passed on the cloud bread and the oopsie bread. I settled on one and hit the jackpot! I was so thrilled that I immediately doubled the recipe, which created a 9x5 loaf. The best part of all, NO carbs!!!! It's made from almond flour, which makes it taste nutty and it is delicious. It you like nuts, you'll love it.

almond flour has carbs
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    if one has had gallbladder issues and its been removed how does one do keto? high fat diets for most who have had theirs removed usually causes diarrhea and other stomach issues. I know 2 of my sisters had theirs out and they cant eat high fat, a friend of ours has the same issues,.you cant make enough bile to break down the fat. so Im wondering why and how it could be healthy?

I don't have a gallbladder. Haven't had one in 10 years. This diet has actually STOPPED the diarrhea. I was told by doctors to stay away from fats, and I did. Had stomach issues the entire 10 years. Go on keto and poof.. gone. Hate the constipation though..
  • ikeandmike1212
    Ok, so I'm sharing one of my favorite snack recipes. This one is so easy and quick, you only need: 1) parchment paper, 2) cheddar cheese, and 3) favorite seeds (I used Hemp seeds);

Preheat oven to 350 F;
    Line a cookie sheet with the parchment. Slice cheese so that you get 1" squares; top with 1/4 tsp of seeds;
    Bake 12 - 15 minutes, until cheese is completely melted and slightly darkened in color; remove with spatula and drain on paper towels. They will become crisp like potato chips after they cool.

I have place this in the food database: "Homemade Cheddar Cheese Crisps (Cash)"
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    edited September 2017
    f5lglr42rbuh.png

Nuts flour has carbs. Just not a whole lot.
  • ikeandmike1212
    GlassAngyl wrote: »

Nuts have carbs

Correction, when I doubled the recipe, each slice contained 4 gms of carbs, as compared to 23 gms/slice of the whole wheat I have for the family.
  • GlassAngyl wrote: »

Nuts have carbs

Correction, when I doubled the recipe, each slice contained 4 gms of carbs, as compared to 23 gms/slice of the whole wheat I have for the family.

1/4 cup of almond flour has 6g carbs. how much did you use? and why do you feel like a rebel eating high fat food?