GIRLS ONLY~ Hunger during that time of the month?

Do you ladies experience increasing levels of hunger during your time of the month? Not even cravings, just wanting more food lol. I'm at goal weight and just trying to recomp but it still fascinates me how much my appetite is increased. I could eat normal what I usually do lol! How about you ladies ?

Replies

• Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Mine is the few days before i get it. More hungry and definitely craving the bad foods. Last month i was good and ate more but chose the right foods. This month was not good at all.
  • Pepsab wrote: »
    Mine is the few days before i get it. More hungry and definitely craving the bad foods. Last month i was good and ate more but chose the right foods. This month was not good at all.
    Yeah mine is two days before and the first two days! I don't really get crazy cravings as much as I did when I was younger but I still get suuuuuper hungry!

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Yep, it's an actual physiological thing. Not just in our pretty wee heads. We (or most of us) are flat out hungrier. To what degree depends on the individual, and for some people it's not even noticeable. Our metabolisms are actually higher the week prior to our periods too, though again, to what degree is variable.

Bottom line, if you know PMS/TOM hunger is an issue for you, plan for it.
  • littlelilikenn
    littlelilikenn Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2017
    Same for me! Actually I have just been dealing with this the past few days - where I'll eat a good, healthy satisfying meal hitting all my macros, and 30 mins later, could easily eat the exact same meal twice again.

I haven't been able to plan for it this month, but usually during PMS (I use Clue which reminds me when it's coming!) I plan to go to bed an hour earlier and allow myself to sleep in 30 min longer - and I find that giving myself more sleep helps with the hunger cravings. I think because PMS makes me feel a bit worn out, if i don't feed that extra tiredness with sleep, my body demands (truly demands!) food instead.

No idea if that would be helpful to anyone else, but would interesting to see if an extra hour and a half of sleep makes it easier for others to not go for that extra meal as well!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    This is well worth a watch/listen. The whole thing, but if you just want to hear the bit about the menstrual cycle it starts at 31 mins in:

https://youtu.be/6846ZTBu08k
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I have the same hunger/appetite pattern all the time - I always want to eat a little more :s
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Every. Dang. Time.
  • Same for me! Actually I have just been dealing with this the past few days - where I'll eat a good, healthy satisfying meal hitting all my macros, and 30 mins later, could easily eat the exact same meal twice again.

I haven't been able to plan for it this month, but usually during PMS (I use Clue which reminds me when it's coming!) I plan to go to bed an hour earlier and allow myself to sleep in 30 min longer - and I find that giving myself more sleep helps with the hunger cravings. I think because PMS makes me feel a bit worn out, if i don't feed that extra tiredness with sleep, my body demands (truly demands!) food instead.

No idea if that would be helpful to anyone else, but would interesting to see if an extra hour and a half of sleep makes it easier for others to not go for that extra meal as well!

Yeah that's probably a really good idea. Sleep always helps. For some reason I tend to sleep less at this time of month so maybe that's contributing!

But yeah same- I'll have a big soup and a bunch of veggies with some potatoes- usually it would totally fill me up but at this time of the month I'm like- "Hmm.. I could go for seconds"

At least I'm past the chips and chocolate cravings cause that stuff adds up really quickly ! Not that it's an issue if you want that.. I can just be compulsive with those foods lol. No stopping me when I get started!!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    I used to. Since starting LCHF eating I don't any more. I didn't really think about it until I saw this post.
  • nursebravo14
    nursebravo14 Posts: 23 Member
    Wow, that's a lot of good advice. I'm motivated to not pick up fast food now. I'm about to start. So hard.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Wow, that's a lot of good advice. I'm motivated to not pick up fast food now. I'm about to start. So hard.
    What are you motivated to start? What is hard about it?
  • danyeljking
    danyeljking Posts: 23 Member
    Oh yes, definitely a thing for me. I noticed my cravings correlate with protein though. My cravings are usually for deli meats (I know, weird). Not the worst thing to crave.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    And around ovulation I get like that... some suggest taking magnesium if you don't already and then toe at at maintenance those days if you are in a deficit. I just happen to eat whatever because I can't control my mouth and then I just deal with it because I'm already pmsing so no point in trying to piss me off more!!! It usually comes off towards end of my period and then I'm back with more energy ready to take on the world and then that last 7-10 days and it starts all over!!! Yippie!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Some months are worse than others, but yeah. It's awful. It's not even hunger like usual, it's a weird feeling that I need to eat something because I'm feeling weak and dizzy and it doesn't go away until I actually eat. Also, I can NEVER feel full during those days. Like I can eat 4000 calories and still not feel full. But I know I'm not really hungry, that it's just hormones... but I feel horrible until I eat anyway, and the only thing that seems to satisfy me is carby/bready things (pizza, bread, pasta etc). Not exactly calorie friendly.

I never noticed it until I got below the overweight BMI weight either. I'm not sure how I would have lost the weight otherwise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Both during ovulation and a couple of days prior to actual menses. I have two weeks in the month where my energy is horrible and lack strength to in my workouts. The Lyle McDonald video up thread explains all this very well.

The day of menses its usually gone, and my energy is back plus more. Sometimes I just have to eat more and it really is cravings for me as in carbs for some reason.
  • cara2411
    cara2411 Posts: 13 Member
    Yep. Every month.
    It's always the few days leading up to the start. I snack all day and feel a constant hunger. I'm just trying to snack on healthy foods, but a lot of the time i just want junk.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Some months are worse than others, but yeah. It's awful. It's not even hunger like usual, it's a weird feeling that I need to eat something because I'm feeling weak and dizzy and it doesn't go away until I actually eat. Also, I can NEVER feel full during those days. Like I can eat 4000 calories and still not feel full. But I know I'm not really hungry, that it's just hormones... but I feel horrible until I eat anyway, and the only thing that seems to satisfy me is carby/bready things (pizza, bread, pasta etc). Not exactly calorie friendly.

I never noticed it until I got below the overweight BMI weight either. I'm not sure how I would have lost the weight otherwise.

Wow I never really thought about it but my pre menstrual hunger has definitely got worse the more weight I have lost. Maybe our bodies were better at using the reserves that we already have for energy when we were overweight.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Same for me! Actually I have just been dealing with this the past few days - where I'll eat a good, healthy satisfying meal hitting all my macros, and 30 mins later, could easily eat the exact same meal twice again.

I should try this. I am so low energy during those couple of days, and when I'm tired my willpower to not snack and eat crap food is lower than it usually is.