Intermittent fasting and skipping breakfast

2»

Replies

• lynnbaum
    lynnbaum Posts: 310 Member
    I am feeling a lot better about skipping breakfast after reading these post. I do break the fast with coffee. I just like to kick back and enjoy quiet time with dear husband with a cup of coffee. Coffee on the deck in the morning or around the campfire with friends. I have to think the last time I had cereal in the morning. I do like frosted mini wheats when driving or if you want a snack. Replacement for high sugar item because it is a high sugar item. No milk I like them dry. I too don't really eat till 10 or 11 and then I could have a pc. of fruit.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    who believed that cereal would both improve Americans’ health and keep them from masturbating and desiring sex. "

well, it's hard to do with a spoon in one hand.

i've been both ways. i used to be able to get up and go until past lunchtime on coffee (with lots of milk), but lifting killed that. now it's more like 'food must be eaten, or else.' otoh, these days i take a huge pile of food in to work and just eat all day long to get through it all, so i only make dinner a few times a week.

not a policy i.f.-er, but it seems to be happening indirectly just as a side-effect of my current life.

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Actually, I have heard that nutritionists now tend to view breakfast as almost a kind of misconception, actually.
    Your caveman ancestors had no refrigerator. So they had nothing to open when they rose in the morning.
    So, if they woke up and wanted to eat, they would spend some time gathering or hunting first.
    The idea now is that that is the most natural way for the first meal -- after some kind of activity, not before.
    In addition, though some here have said that "your metabolism works 24 hours a day," your blood glucose levels do rise during the night, anticipating that you are not eating for a while. Nutritionists say that, therefore, first thing in the AM might be the worst time to eat: when your relevant hormone levels are low, your blood glucose is high, and you have been inactive.
    Unfortunately, I do not have a good reference for this. But I have seen it discussed a few different places.
    PS This is not a reference. But it is an article that discusses breakfast and intermittent fasting, and the authors conclude there may be benefits. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4042085/

That was very interesting, thank you!
  • warrrn69
    warrrn69 Posts: 42 Member
    Like previous posters have said, it all comes down to the individual as to if it is effective for you or not. Don't buy into the breakfast is the most Important / starving mode *kitten*. To put it simply IF has proven to work and not work depending on the individual, so I recommend sticking with it to see if it works for you. for me personally it fits my lifestyle great and yields results.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I think breakfast is important for people with low blood sugar problems and children. Everyone else can skip it if they wish.

Unless you have reactive hypoglyceamia, then eating breakfast and skipping lunch is a nightmare.
    I just start eating when I get hungry. Sometimes I have breakfast and sometimes Not, often my breakfast will actually be a banana at 11am.
    Find your own routine that works for You, and stick to it.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Actually, I have heard that nutritionists now tend to view breakfast as almost a kind of misconception, actually.
    Your caveman ancestors had no refrigerator. So they had nothing to open when they rose in the morning.
    So, if they woke up and wanted to eat, they would spend some time gathering or hunting first.
    The idea now is that that is the most natural way for the first meal -- after some kind of activity, not before.
    In addition, though some here have said that "your metabolism works 24 hours a day," your blood glucose levels do rise during the night, anticipating that you are not eating for a while. Nutritionists say that, therefore, first thing in the AM might be the worst time to eat: when your relevant hormone levels are low, your blood glucose is high, and you have been inactive.
    Unfortunately, I do not have a good reference for this. But I have seen it discussed a few different places.
    PS This is not a reference. But it is an article that discusses breakfast and intermittent fasting, and the authors conclude there may be benefits. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4042085/

It is true that your blood sugar levels ruse before dawn. This is known as the "dawn phenomenon" to diabetics, where their sugar is high in the morning despite no food, sometimes higher than when you go to bed.

Your blood sugar drops at night and then a couple hours before dawn your liver dumps glucose into your blood stream to prepare you for the energy intensive act of waking up and starting your day. Healthy people this is fine, but it can be a problem for a diabetic.

I can provide links on the subject of anyone wants more info. I don't have any handy, but I can find them again. A nurse told me this when I was a hospital one and my sugar was high one morning for no reason, and Google searches seemed to confirm that it's a thing.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    I personally have been fasting from 7pm-11am and love it!! Im not naturally hungry in the morning so its not a problem and I enjoy eating all of my food in a shorter window because Im hardly ever hungry. Ive lost weight with and without IMF but I find this to be a more comfortable eating pattern and my losses didnt slow down when I stopped forcing myself to eat breakfast :)
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    I never really consider what I do as fasting, but I try not to snack after supper...so I am essentially fasting from 6:30 PM until about 6:00 AM. Snacking after supper puts on the pounds for me.

P.S. Drinking wine or bourbon during this time does not count against fasting ;-)
  • lindalester
    lindalester Posts: 16 Member
    I am keto carb and intermittent fasting. I have lost 60 lbs so far and need to lose at least that much more. My hubby has been able to drop all blood pressure pills and all diabetes (8) pills as a result. I am committed as there is less inflammation for me and less pills for hubby.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited October 2017
    OP - good answers in this thread already. You might wanna read Jason Fung's _Complete Guide to Fasting_, as it's the best book on IF I've seen. Brad Pilon's _Eat Stop Eat_ is good too.

Point being, they address a lot of these outdated ideas.
    Breakfast = Break - Fast. There's no time allotment.
    And this! It's impossible to "skip breakfast"; it just confuses people. Half the replies in every thread about fasting are people misinterpreting this and thinking it means they can't eat in the morning.
    Daily windows mean you have an eating window and then when it's over, you're done. It's whenever you want it to be.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2017
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is marketing to sell cereal...

Your metabolism is firing 24/7...

From an evolutionary standpoint, we would have died off a long time ago if breakfast was a necessity...