Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited October 2017
    I go to a place called Asian Garden and all the staff are Chinese and the foods I choose are all Americanized (I'm too chicken to try the real Chinese food so I just stick to what I know I like) So how much did you gain from your big feast?

I gained about 3-lbs. Most of the stuff I ate at the Chinese place was low carb or I'm sure it would have been a lot more. I had 3-plates of stuff (2-large and one small) including some desert stuff but not a lot of the desert. I finish it off with stuffed mushrooms which are the real desert for me! After that, at home, I ended up having 3-pieces of apple pie (home-made) with some milk poured over them (we were out of ice-cream) and a couple of glasses of orange juice. It was all in the evening though and I did have a big deficit going into it yesterday after fasting all day and also running 6-miles in the hills in the morning. I probably put down 4000kcals or so (total guess, I don't know) but had a TDEE of about 3300kcal so not a ton overboard. That is only about 1/5 of a lb of potential fat gain if those number are correct. I might have gained that and also lost the opportunity to lose about 1/3 of a lb.

My wife is currently cooking something that smells very awesome but alas, I'm not eating tell 5!

She is frying up antelope backstrap, bell peppers, zuchinni, yellow crook-neck squash, and onions! This is torture for sure. Antelope is sooooooo good. It is our favorite game meat. Our neighbors gave it to us.

She is going to fix me up a plate which I will eat after 5! This is one of those really want to have it so need to make a plate and eat it later situations.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Great job on the new pants, Bob! I know that feels amazing :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited October 2017
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I go to a place called Asian Garden and all the staff are Chinese and the foods I choose are all Americanized (I'm too chicken to try the real Chinese food so I just stick to what I know I like) So how much did you gain from your big feast?

I gained about 3-lbs. Most of the stuff I ate at the Chinese place was low carb or I'm sure it would have been a lot more. I had 3-plates of stuff (2-large and one small) including some desert stuff but not a lot of the desert. I finish it off with stuffed mushrooms which are the real desert for me! After that, at home, I ended up having 3-pieces of apple pie (home-made) with some milk poured over them (we were out of ice-cream) and a couple of glasses of orange juice. It was all in the evening though and I did have a big deficit going into it yesterday after fasting all day and also running 6-miles in the hills in the morning. I probably put down 4000kcals or so (total guess, I don't know) but had a TDEE of about 3300kcal so not a ton overboard. That is only about 1/5 of a lb of potential fat gain if those number are correct. I might have gained that and also lost the opportunity to lose about 1/3 of a lb.

My wife is currently cooking something that smells very awesome but alas, I'm not eating tell 5!

She is frying up antelope backstrap, bell peppers, zuchinni, yellow crook-neck squash, and onions! This is torture for sure. Antelope is sooooooo good. It is our favorite game meat. Our neighbors gave it to us.

She is going to fix me up a plate which I will eat after 5! This is one of those really want to have it so need to make a plate and eat it later situations.

Thats good on the exercise, I did none :p Sadly I've never had antelope and your your wife is nice to save a plate for you o:)
  • blambo61
    Ran a 5k today and set a personal record by 1:01! It was a hard hilly course also! I jogged about 1-mile warmup, couple of 50-meter strides to warm up, 5K in 27:14 (previous best 28:15, this was an 8:47 min/mile pace), then a 2-mile easy cool-down jog. Total 6-miles.

I usually just eat 1-scoop of the UCAN super-starch about 45-min before the run but felt like I was still bonking and usually would only do well the first 2-miles, so this time I took a scoop like before but also ate 1-tsp of coconut oil about 35-min before the 5k. Did not have any stomach problems during the 5k even though I was pushing it hard. I think that made the difference in the performance. I've run 5ks before just off of a tsp of coconut oil and I felt it helped me a lot last year. This is the first time I've tried that and the starch together. Maybe all I need is just the oil. I might experiment to find out. Anyways, I'm really happy to have run that well and break 28-min and 9-min miles which were my goals. Next is breaking 27 min! Should be able to do that if feel as well and if it is a flatter course. Helps a lot losing some weight also!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Awesome time Bob!! :)
  • blambo61
    Thank! One other noteworthy thing. My appetite goes way down after a hard run. I eat way more on non-running days than I do on running days.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Bob that is interesting and an amazing PR especially on hills. Yay for coconut oil!

As you know I come at it from the other side, I run fasted and have been experiencing until recently clear signals (bonking) when I go too hard, although slow paced runs were not an issue.
    However I've been on a new diet last 8-9 days and I've noticed a clear difference in my run times and available energy. I still run fasted, usually 23 hours sometimes only 12 hours, but I've picked up the pace and can hold it much farther. Like my recent 5K for example. I'm only eating meat and some dairy and it just seems like a better fuel than packing away all the veggies, greens, and fruit that I used to eat. I did a 6 miler last night before dinner at a 10.5 pace, which is solid for me. Prior to the diet change my regular runs were more like an 11.5-12 pace.
  • blambo61
    edited October 2017
    jvcinv wrote: »
    Bob that is interesting and an amazing PR especially on hills. Yay for coconut oil!

As you know I come at it from the other side, I run fasted and have been experiencing until recently clear signals (bonking) when I go too hard, although slow paced runs were not an issue.
    However I've been on a new diet last 8-9 days and I've noticed a clear difference in my run times and available energy. I still run fasted, usually 23 hours sometimes only 12 hours, but I've picked up the pace and can hold it much farther. Like my recent 5K for example. I'm only eating meat and some dairy and it just seems like a better fuel than packing away all the veggies, greens, and fruit that I used to eat. I did a 6 miler last night before dinner at a 10.5 pace, which is solid for me. Prior to the diet change my regular runs were more like an 11.5-12 pace.

People who go low carb have reported an increase in endurance. I think the mechanism is probably you get more used to producing keytones and not eating carbs keeps you burning keytones. Also spikes in insulin (caused by carbs) causes fat metabolism to stop and shuts off that fuel. For a very interesting read, see eatingacademy.com and read the authors story on how going low carb affected his endurance performance. He also reported though that while his aerobic capacity increased substantially, his anaerobic performance dropped off a bit which meant hard hill climbs and sprint finishes in his bike races could take a hit.

I've got mixed feelings about low carb or keto diets. I do think we should limit refined sugars as much as possible (but still have a splurge now and then). I don't go for never eating fruit, legumes, whole grains. I think they are too yummy and also I think some nutrients might not get taken doing that. A lot of the keto dieters do eat a ton of salads though (not fruit) and they probably get a lot of nutrients that ways. I'm middle road and will allow carbs but do try to limit refined grains and sugars and allow legumes, fruit, and whole grains.

The site's author that I referenced was a keto person for a long time and then has recently backed off of it. He did OMAD also for about 6-months but didn't write about it much. He is an engineer, physician, surgeon, bio-physical researcher, and an endurance athlete and knows a LOT! He was working out 4-hrs a day (swimming/biking) and was 20% bf. Went keto and went to 7% while increasing calories from about 4000kcal/day to 4500kcal/day.

I'm convinced the coconut oil helped me a lot on the run and your diet sounds like it is helping you. I've been running fasted too for all my runs and 5ks with the exception of the starch I've taken but I don't think it is enough whereas the oil seems to take me to a fueled state. I did have one lunch this week on Tues (new boss visiting me) and ran later that day and could tell a difference so I can tell the starch isn't fueling me enough after the fast.

Way to go on your 6-mile run at 10.5-min/mile pace!

• blambo61
    edited October 2017
    WEEKLY REPORT

WEIGHT:
    Date........Weight (lbs)......Loss (lbs)......Total Loss (lbs)......4-Wk Ave Loss (lbs)
    09/01/17............211
    09/08/17............209................2......................2
    09/15/17............208................1......................3
    09/22/17............203................5......................8
    09/29/17............201................2....................10........................2.5
    10/06/17...........200.................1....................11........................2.25

EATING:
    Saturday had a big feed at buffet
    Tuesday had a lunch cause new boss was in town and wanted to do lunch
    Tuesday night had a big scout activity with lots of treats and I ate a lot of that

Rest of time fasted tell 5 or later. 34/35 days I've fasted tell 5 or later.

Not counting taking a little starch or coconut oil before a run.

EXERCISE:
    Fri: Rest

Sat: Run - moderate 6.0-miles in foothills of mountains (very pretty with fall colors)

Sun: Rest

Mon: stretch,1-mile warmup run (11:00-min/mile), stretch, rest, 5x50-m strides with walk in-between, rest, stretch, 3 x 1/2-mile @ 7:30-min/mile pace and 1 x 1/4-mile @ 8:34-min/miles pace all with 1/4 mile walk in-between, rest, 1-mile slow cool down. Total 4-miles. Did the faster stuff on a treadmill and the warmup and cool-down on a track. This was a hard workout for me.

Tues: Run - 3.1-miles at moderate pace. Pre-ran 5k course.

Wed: Rest

Thurs: stretch, 1-mile warmup (11:00 min), rest, stretch, 2x50m strides with walk in-between, rest, stretch, 3.12-miles @ 8:47-min/mile pace (27:22), rest, 2.0-mile cool down. Was a hilly course but I set a big PR! Ate starch and coconut oil before and the coconut oil made the difference since otherwise, I was fasted. Total 6-miles.

Will be trying to break 27-min now in 5ks.

RBPM:
    Timed it at 38 one morning a few times using an oximeter! I'm concerned how low it is so I'm looking at my blood oxygen saturation % with the oxymiter. It was 96 or so at 38 beats per minute so I guess that is ok still. Crazy!

COMMENTS:
    Coconut oil really works when trying to work out while fasted. Still not sure if I want to eat a lot of coconut oil though. I have read it has really helped some folks with alzheimers and some other things (other threads in mfp). I should be under 200 next week. I'm at an all-time low right now for about 21 or 22 years!

Tossed two suits (50-R was the biggest, I'm 44-R right now) and 3 other blazer jackets! Gave them to good-will store. Also bought pants and I'm at a 36 right now (started at 43 I believe).
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Yeah I'm doing it as an experiment. At this point I'm not really expecting it to be a permanent eating solution. Not because of nutrients though, from what I've been reading there is really nothing except for perhaps vitamin C that you can only get in plants. Meat supplies pretty much everything you need and usually in larger quantities. With many veggies you also get a bit of poison especially in the skin and seeds. There are a number of nutrients that plants alone do not supply.
    Mainly I'm doing it because I read that several people who ate this way had their rosacea clear up within 30 days. I've always had it around and on my nose so would love to see if this works for me.
    Down the road I'll probably start adding back to the diet. I like my avocado's and to have a bit of melon after the meal.
  • blambo61
    jvcinv wrote: »
    Yeah I'm doing it as an experiment. At this point I'm not really expecting it to be a permanent eating solution. Not because of nutrients though, from what I've been reading there is really nothing except for perhaps vitamin C that you can only get in plants. Meat supplies pretty much everything you need and usually in larger quantities. With many veggies you also get a bit of poison especially in the skin and seeds. There are a number of nutrients that plants alone do not supply.
    Mainly I'm doing it because I read that several people who ate this way had their rosacea clear up within 30 days. I've always had it around and on my nose so would love to see if this works for me.
    Down the road I'll probably start adding back to the diet. I like my avocado's and to have a bit of melon after the meal.

In the LCHF forum, lots of people use the kind of diet you mentioned to combat diabetes and inflamation.
  • Brendalea69
    Good job :)
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    I really admire your successes in running!
  • blambo61
    edited October 2017
    Thanks all!

I'm really more convinced that the coconut oil helps a lot. Ran same grass run today as I did two weeks ago and went 10:04-min/mile today. Went 12:02 two weeks ago (it takes a lot more energy to run on grass than pavement or other hard surface but it saves you feet and knees). I took just the oil today and just the starch last time. Last time went 6-miles. Today just went 4 but I also did a very steep 2-mile round trip hike up a mountain this morning with family. When I ran today, I did the first two miles in about 9:30-min/mile pace and then ran out of fuel and slowed to 10:30-min/mile pace for average of 10:04 pace. The oil helped for the first bit but the starch was needed for the end I think.

I think my pre-run fasted protcol will be, 1) scoop of starch 1-hr before run (digests slow and lasts long time) and 2) 1-tsp of coconut oil about 30-min before the run (acts really quick but doesn't last long).

The bodies two primary fuels are ketones and glucose. That protocol provides both. I will experiment some more and see what happens.

While fasted, I think the muscles have plenty of glycogen in them but the liver isn't providing enough fuel for the brain (glucose or ketones) so the brain shuts down the system and that is what I think is causing what I'm calling a "bonk" which is the brains way of protecting itself (muscles can't share glycogen with the brain and it can only be used in the muscle it is stored in). Eating the starch and keytones allows the brain to be fueled enough so that it allows the body to run. I'm eating about 250 kcals (for the brain) and I'm burning about 1000kcals during the run with a lot of that being the stored glycogen in the muscles feeding the muscles that the brain will now allow since it is being fed adequately.

I believe that is what is happening. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Nice to be armed with information on our inner workings. It's always been a mystery to me that I haven't really explored. I'm learning a lot from you and the board. Thanks!
  • blambo61
    Cleaned out garden this last weekend. Lots of squash and a few mellons. Yum!

• minigrrll
    Oh so jealous of your squash harvest!
  • Brendalea69
    Jealousy here too, My parents usually have tons of veggies from their garden but this year they didn't have a good turnout because the weather was horrible :(
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Wow! Yeah that's a whole lot of veggies to eat! I freak out when I have 4 different veggies in the frig crisper. Great that you're figuring out what you need to keep feeling good throughout your run. Funny the difference between running and walking. My sis and I walked 10-14 miles every single day for a month when I visited her. We ate OMAD the whole time. Never once did I feel depleted.
  • minigrrll
    I would be just cutting them all up (with the skins still on) and throwing them in the oven with olive oil and a bit of spicy seasoning salt and roasting them up. Did that with a bunch on the weekend and have been eating them (cold with hot sauce!) all week. Even the skins are delicious, in fact, once they are roasted, I think the skins are my favourite part!

But the nice thing about the winter squash is that they last for ages before you have to use them... I think that's actually why they are called winter squash? Because you grow them in the summer and can eat them in the winter (of course I may be totally wrong about that!)