Replies

• jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    edited October 2017
    blambo61 wrote: »
    jvcinv wrote: »
    29:42 5K race this morning!!
    I'm over the moon.

Sweet! Way to go Jim. How did you feel! Long ways from huffing and puffing walking up a flight of stairs!
    Bob it couldn't have gone any better. I felt great going in, well rested, fully fueled, nice crisp clear morning.
    After picking up my breathing and rhythm around the mile marker, I got into a sustained high pace for me, harder than any pace I've been able to sustain in training runs. I would have been happy with 34 or better, 29:36 was the official time they listed for me, I couldn't believe it. Indeed I've come a long ways in 2017.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited October 2017
    Just keep doing what your doing. DON'T jump in to too much fast training if your thinking about it. If you want to do that, ease into it. At our age injuries can happen very easily!

That's a 9:32 min/mile pace if it's a full 5k! Do you have a gps watch? I have a Garmin forrunner 230 which tells me pace, distance etc. I really love it!

The adrenaline can really get you going in a race! Are you going to do some more? I think I remember reading you have run a marathon before? Sounds like you have some race experience.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Just keep doing what your doing. DON'T jump in to too much fast training if your thinking about it. If you want to do that, ease into it. At our age injuries can happen very easily!

That's a 9:32 min/mile pace if it's a full 5k! Do you have a gps watch? I have a Garmin forrunner 230 which tells me pace, distance etc. I really love it!

The adrenaline can really get you going in a race! Are you going to do some more? I think I remember reading you have run a marathon before? Sounds like you have some race experience.
    No I'm not going to jump into any fast training. Since I first headed out to run my first priority has been to not get injured. I'm acutely aware of how even a small injury could sidetrack me for an extended period.
    I don't have a GPS watch, looked at them, haven't made up my mind if I want to go that way.
    My motto is to do everything by feel, I'm not sure I want to get caught up in focusing on all the little details. I'm mainly in it for fitness and fun.
    21 years ago I did some racing and yes one marathon. As I recall my best 5K was 25 and change, so I've lost 4 minutes over the two decades, but I'll bet if I apply myself and stay healthy I might be able to get down in the 25 range maybe next year. Little goals is all I'm looking for.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Wow, Congrats :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member

No I'm not going to jump into any fast training. Since I first headed out to run my first priority has been to not get injured. I'm acutely aware of how even a small injury could sidetrack me for an extended period.
    I don't have a GPS watch, looked at them, haven't made up my mind if I want to go that way.
    My motto is to do everything by feel, I'm not sure I want to get caught up in focusing on all the little details. I'm mainly in it for fitness and fun.
    21 years ago I did some racing and yes one marathon. As I recall my best 5K was 25 and change, so I've lost 4 minutes over the two decades, but I'll bet if I apply myself and stay healthy I might be able to get down in the 25 range maybe next year. Little goals is all I'm looking for.

Sounds good!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    That's an awesome time - well done!!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    I'm not going to jump into any fast training. Since I first headed out to run my first priority has been to not get injured. I'm acutely aware of how even a small injury could sidetrack me for an extended period.

Great philosophy.