October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I have another goal for the month, and that is no alcohol. Yesterday I woke up tired from a night out to celebrate my birthday (it's today!!) and pretty much canned ALL of my plans. Not stupidly hungover, but just didn't do anything. I don't drink excessively all the time, but can have weekends where I don't do what I want to do, get tired, and don't meet my running goals. So I'm having a month off alcohol to see what it does to my body. It won't be a permanent change as I like the odd beer, cocktail or glass of wine, but it will be nice to have a break.

Or force yourself to run 2 miles for every beer. :smiley:

Happy Birthday!

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    As @skippygirlsmom has said - Those in the Vegas area please check in <3
    orlybayu wrote: »
    It might be a stupid question, but do you all include your warm-up/cool down mileage? Should I cut those out and only count the times I'm running or jogging?
    @orlybayu There are no stupid questions in this group. Maybe some Funny Answers as we poke fun at our own personal quirks. I think it has been well answered by those before me.
    I like the answers provided by
    It is your goal, your rules.
    and
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    You need a rule that makes sense in the context of how you manage your running. I count what I measure with the Garmin.
    Personally when doing Track/Speed Work since I build the complete work-out in the Garmin watch I count it. When it comes to general running I don't do a warm-up, rather the first km is at a slightly slower pace to act as a warm-up so since my watch is started and tracking I include it in my record.

@hjeppley Sometimes the Ticker takes a little while to update the Posted amount. Not sure why - I just know that when you go back later the result will be correct.

Yesterday I posted that our weather is going to make a quick change in October, well its here for a large part of our province, ironically the south/central area is getting slammed while we are cold but clear.
    xl8ety1l0uxj.jpg
  • LC0924
    LC0924 Posts: 71 Member
    Hello, all! Joined in last month and then sucked at checking in...

October's goal is to continue rehabbing with a run/walk/run deal - I'm hoping to have worked up to 25 minutes twice a week by the end of the month :) And consistent strength training and crosstraining to avoid making the injury angry again, heh.

Oct 1 - 15 min RWR

Happy birthday, @girlinahat!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited October 2017
    @juliet3455 bbbrrrrrr
    @girlinahat Happy Birthday!

10/1 - 6 miles
    10/2 - so far unscheduled rest day

6 of 100 miles

Got up, good
    Got dressed, good
    Laid on bed, bad
    fell back to sleep ha ha

I'll try to get out later but I think I'm supposed to be selling tickets at a football later.

• weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Well I didn't run yesterday but had a few great games of horseshoes with the hubby and one of the guys from work, so much fun! I'll be going for my regular 4+km walk today.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    Happy Birthday @girlinahat!

@juliet3455 I will run when it is 92F (33C), but if it is 33F (1C) I am pretty likely to take a weather day.

Welcome @springtimez

Today will be a rest day for me. I am planning to take the dogs to the park for a walk though. Last night I took the nail polish off my toes and discovered that one of my toes has a black nail. Not entirely black, but definitely bruised.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    orlybayu wrote: »
    I'm in for 20 miles.

It might be a stupid question, but do you all include your warm-up/cool down mileage? Should I cut those out and only count the times I'm running or jogging?

I count running warm up but not walking warm up
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    anyone entered the London MArathon ballot? waiting for my result here!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Welcome @springtimez !

Congratulations @carolineb81 on the distance!!!

@orlybayu Like others mentioned, count what works for you. There is no rule amoungst us regarding what counts and what doesn't. I've had plenty of months my miles were all walking. I count anything intentional. If I go for a run and it turns into a walk, I count all of it. Sometimes I count the walking warm up, it just depends on how fast my Garmin locks on to the satellite. I typically run a kilometre, then walk a tenth of a mile (if it's hot and I want to pace better for a longer distance) . See? We are all different.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Call me a fairweather friend.. but I'm back after most the summer off. I'm going slowly back into it and hopefully seeing a podiatrist this month to figure out ongoing aches in my flat feet. I don't really have a goal except to stay able to run 5k races whenever I see one that looks interesting. My next 5k is 10/21 with a Thomas Rhett concert the night before.. should be interesting?
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @girlinahat Happy birthday and that donut looks amazing!

Not sure what my plan is today. My hubby says he wants to walk with me after work but he's been saying this 2 weeks and has yet to muster up the energy after work to get out the door. IF he does, I'm wondering if he'll mind if I run home after (because we were gonna drive the mile over and walk the park area - if we walked the mile over he'd be ready to turn back immediately and the walk over isn't particularly nice!) So I don't know. Figure something out.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    10/1 = 15 miles
    10/2 = 6.5 miles and strength training

6.5 slow creaky miles. I am super sore from yesterday’s long run. I tried to do squats at the gym today and my hips said - NOPE! Rest day tomorrow (and maybe Wednesday).

21.5/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    10/1 13.3
    10/2 Rest

Total 13.3 / goal 120

Upcoming races
    TBD
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Question:

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping after running a long distance? I had a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep last night after my HM. I had the same problem the last time I ran a HM. What's up with that? You'd think I'd be exhausted.
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    I'm in to shoot for 60ish. September was a let down for me, so I need to rebound in October.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Question:

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping after running a long distance? I had a lot of trouble falling asleep and staying asleep last night after my HM. I had the same problem the last time I ran a HM. What's up with that? You'd think I'd be exhausted.

sometimes.really depends on how the run went and how the rest of the day goes. If I'm at home and it's a daddy duty day, I have zero problem falling asleep. If I have an open day where I don't have much fore responsibilities, then I can be up all night.