Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Lunch of the week. Tip: when roasting veggies for meal prep, slightly undercook them so they are perfect after heating in the microwave:
    200g butternut
    200g zucchini
    200g bell peppers (yellow, red, orange)
    100g eggplant

Could add broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower or whatever you like to mix it up

I roast 4 days worth on Sunday, pack in large ziplock bowls then add a different protein every day. Today was spicy roasted chickpeas. Next few days might be black beans, salmon or shrimp.

Follow with an apple and Dannon yogurt. Big, colorful and filling meal for under 500 cals.

Those measurements are for one serving, yes?

Yes. I start with one huge butternut, big eggplant, 4 large zucchini and 4 bell peppers. Using nonstick foil let's you use even less EVOO
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Does anyone else make roasted chickpeas? They were delicious right out of the oven, bushy mushy the next day. What's the proper way to store them?
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    I dunno what happened to my post. Sorry if this has already been discussed on here......I usually just lurk on here, but I was wondering if you can please post the recipe you used to make this fluff

I'm still eating this nearly every day it's so darn good......

1.Cover blades of food processor with ice and run until you have snow
    2. Add 1/2 scoop salted caramel and 1/2 scoop cinnamon crunch, squirt Splenda, squirt vanilla extract.
    3. Add 4oz unsweet almond milk and mix until consistency of soft serve
    3. topped with one toasted Van's protein waffle, 100g sliced banana and Smuckers sugar free syrup

Thanks so much!! :) So you don't add any xathan gum?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Does anyone else make roasted chickpeas? They were delicious right out of the oven, bushy mushy the next day. What's the proper way to store them?

We make them from dried beans and it's a bit more involved. It's a different kind of dish, more like roasted nuts. They never get soggy and they turn out extra crunchy. Basically, you soak the dried chickpeas in warm water for 24 hours or parboil, strain. At this point you could peel them or leave them unpeeled, up to you. Salt them to taste while still wet, let stand in a strainer overnight or until completely dry.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius (too lazy to convert).

Spread a generous amount of coarse kosher salt (or clean sand) to cover the whole bottom of a wide baking sheet. Spread the chickpeas over the salt/sand and bake, stirring every 10-15 minutes or so. It's okay to stir into the salt, in fact that's the whole point of using salt. After an hour or so they should be done. Use a strainer with large holes to sift out the salt/sand. If you taste them and they're not adequately seasoned or if you want to add other seasonings, mix whatever seasoning you want to use into a few drops of water to help it stick, mix thoroughly into the chickpeas (after they've cooled), and let dry.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'd make those chickpeas, but roasted chickpeas are a no brakes food for me. I adore them.
  • amusedmonkey
    crazyravr wrote: »

They should not get soggy once baked. They dry out in the process.
    Canned, drained and dried overnight. Cover with spices you like. Bake at 400F turning every now and then. Store in a jar once cool.

Note: chickpeas or any legume is not a volume eater food at all. Its a calorie bomb lol

Sadly, yes.. Especially roasted.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I volume ate 7 donuts today. I would never choose Dunkin Donuts for a treat, but they were free in the reception area. If it wasn't for the security cameras and people around, I would have taken one bite of each flavor, then tossed the rest. But oh no.....I felt compelled to eat one, then go back for another, and another. I'm not sure why free food is so appealing. Or why they serve donuts in a health care office building.

Yeah "volume eating" isn't code for over eating or binge behaviour. High volume for a good calorie spend is where we're at.
    I dunno what happened to my post. Sorry if this has already been discussed on here......I usually just lurk on here, but I was wondering if you can please post the recipe you used to make this fluff

Please go browse the thread, 20-something pages isn't tons to scroll through and we really did this to death already. There are probably 10-12 pages of all the variations people tried and liked best.
  • amusedmonkey

Canned, drained and dried overnight. Cover with spices you like. Bake at 400F turning every now and then. Store in a jar once cool.

Note: chickpeas or any legume is not a volume eater food at all. Its a calorie bomb lol

Some of us volume eaters incorporate portions of "calorie bomb" foods into our meals for satiety.

Beans are volume foods for me in my 600 calorie meal of the day. I had an entire tin of British Heinz beans in tomato sauce the other day, it was 300 calories. I had it with rice and some spinach. Total meal was around 650 calories.

I don't get this "it can't be higher calorie" to have in volume mentality thing. If I want to eat 300 calories of beans or potatoes, I'm going to. That's a lot of food, it fills me up, and it's part of volume eating.

Who said that there's a rule that everything HAS to be low calorie to be in volume?

I space and plan my meals and have the calories for it.

I always use legume. They may not be the perfect volume food, but they're super satiating for me. Vegetables alone don't do it. A great dish for hunger often contains vegetables for volume plus the kinds of food that are inherently filling for me. Roasted chickpeas, on the other hand are too calorie dense to be filling so I rarely have them. I can easily overeat them, but it's not as bad as nuts because they aren't as calorie dense as nuts. We rarely make them because the process is involved and they're a traditional snack (prepared as described above) so they're sold everywhere. They're sold plain, salted, sweetened, and sugar coated.

15.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I eat a lot of vegetables. Cooked. A lot of root vegetables. I also eat eggs, chicken, occasional hamburger. Salad. Fruit salad.w1coxwhirkna.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    5evcoumoj0lx.jpg
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017

Some of us volume eaters incorporate portions of "calorie bomb" foods into our meals for satiety.

Beans are volume foods for me in my 600 calorie meal of the day. I had an entire tin of British Heinz beans in tomato sauce the other day, it was 300 calories. I had it with rice and some spinach. Total meal was around 650 calories.

I don't get this "it can't be higher calorie" to have in volume mentality thing. If I want to eat 300 calories of beans or potatoes, I'm going to. That's a lot of food, it fills me up, and it's part of volume eating.

Who said that there's a rule that everything HAS to be low calorie to be in volume?

I always use legume. They may not be the perfect volume food, but they're super satiating for me. Vegetables alone don't do it. A great dish for hunger often contains vegetables for volume plus the kinds of food that are inherently filling for me. Roasted chickpeas, on the other hand are too calorie dense to be filling so I rarely have them. I can easily overeat them, but it's not as bad as nuts because they aren't as calorie dense as nuts. We rarely make them because the process is involved and they're a traditional snack (prepared as described above) so they're sold everywhere. They're sold plain, salted, sweetened, and sugar coated.

15.jpg

The point was that legumes couldn't be part of volume eating, and yup, they can :) It depends how you plan your meal.

Now roasted chickpeas, I agree. I also don't find them as filling for some reason, and as I said earlier, they are just a no brakes food for me. I can't stop eating them once I start.

Those in your picture are amazing looking. They look like tiny brains!
  • cheatday4lyfe
    cheatday4lyfe Posts: 7 Member
    I do love eating huge salads, it gives me something to eat for an hour, but I don't eat that way every day.
  • BigSherly
    BigSherly Posts: 2 Member
    HELP! I just started to watch what I eat (at WW, but needed to tweak some things). I am a VOLUME Eater. I am committed to getting healthy. I just don't want to be hungry. I am looking for take and go recipes, low fat batch cooking ideas. Any help that you all can offer would be awesome!
  • amusedmonkey

15.jpg

The point was that legumes couldn't be part of volume eating, and yup, they can :) It depends how you plan your meal.

Now roasted chickpeas, I agree. I also don't find them as filling for some reason, and as I said earlier, they are just a no brakes food for me. I can't stop eating them once I start.

Those in your picture are amazing looking. They look like tiny brains!

That's what happens when you roast them without peel and the thin candy coating only enhances that! The ridges become deeper. Of course the sort of chickpea matters as well, but yes I totally agree with you.