October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    @7lenny7 who knew PBR got into the toe healing biz ;) . Hope its looking better tomorrow!

@girlinahat I too like to rely on my eyes running the dark wherever possible. I often see people with their lamps on at sunrise and I wonder about them :D

October 1- 28+7
    October 2- 18
    October 3- 20
    October 4- 15
    October 5- 18

106/450km
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @girlinahat I too like to rely on my eyes running the dark wherever possible. I often see people with their lamps on at sunrise and I wonder about them :D

October 1- 28+7
    October 2- 18
    October 3- 20
    October 4- 15
    October 5- 18

106/450km

when you've been wearing it for 2-4 hours, sometimes it's hard to remember it's on... My night vision stinks, so I need mine on trail... on road, the only time I have one is when I'm on the highway, 300-600 lumens beat reflective gear for visibility any time. Love running in the dark, just don't trust my eye sight for those dark runs.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    @navygrrl oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about the ankle break! I hope it's a swift, clean recovery for you!

You can definitely still stick around here. That's what I'm doing, even though I'm currently on the injured list as well. I just look at everyone else's posts and think, I'll be back there soon!

So yesterday was my first PT session for my IT Band Syndrome. The physical therapist was recommended by a couple of my running friends and I was really impressed! He did a very thorough evaluation, including filming me running, and really seemed to know his stuff. He and his facility are very much geared towards sports and performance so I know they're going to be really great at keeping me active and getting me back to being an even better runner than I was before, especially with his coaching on running form.

I'm not sure if it was a subconscious fear, or I was just too distracted taking everything in on my first visit, lol, but I didn't ask yet about whether he had any thoughts about me still making my first marathon on 11/19. I need to remember to ask at my next session tomorrow. Ugh. I'm kinda afraid to ask. But, all I can say right now is, WOW is my IT Band sore from the deep tissue work he did on it yesterday! Holy cow!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    10/1- 6 miles+ doggie walking
    10/2-P90X3 Total Synergystics+ doggie walking
    10/3-P90X3 Agility +7.1 hilly miles
    10/4- P90X3 yoga + hour of walking the pup

Uneventful day of rest yesterday, which included two walks with the pup and 30 minutes of P90X3 yoga, which felt great on my sore legs. My calf was hurting yesterday, which is a new one for me, so it made me raise an eyebrow, until I realized that the P90X3 Total Synergistics video I did on Monday has a bunch of calf work. Mystery solved, and no pain today.

Today I have a personal training session scheduled after work. My trainer is helping me to develop a total body plan with weights that I can do on my own two days per week. I had planned on running this morning in the dark to get used to using my headlamp again since it has been a few months since I have run with it. But when I went to head out the door, the rain was really coming down. I am all for running in the rain, but I don't usually head out the door into a downpour, so I decided to postpone that until after my gym session this evening. My legs should be good and tired by then...

Upcoming Races:
    10/13-14/17-Bourbon Chase 200 mile relay
    11/12/17-Honor Run half marathon, Florence, KY
    05/06/18-Flying Pig marathon
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    9/1 rest
    9/2 5.5miles 50m:22s
    9/3 5miles 45m:30s
    9/4 9miles 1h:24m:02s
    9/5 6miles 55:m:30s

Another 6 miles today. Weather has been wonderful, sunny and in the low sixties.

Tomorrow I’m going to do my long run, 11 miles. Not sure how my legs are going to hold up seeing that I just did 9, then 6. I guess it’s building up stamina.
  • lporter229
    Oh yeah, one more thing (sorry, I am chatty today and nobody here to talk to at work). I ran with my flipbelt on Sunday and loved it. I had bought it last spring, but still had not used it. As sad as this is, this was the first time that I have ever carried my phone with me on a run. I know it's stupid to go out without it, but I am a serious minimalist when it comes to running with gear and I never had any place to put it. But the belt was great! I did not even know it was there. Highly recommend for anyone looking for something to carry your phone, ID, gels, etc.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    I'm in for 40 miles in 16 runs.
    2 OCT 2.59 mi
    5 OCT 2.82 mi 5.41 mi total
  • Toni1071
    Toni1071 Posts: 12 Member
    Good morning! Pouring rain today so I grumbled all the way to the gym and ran on the treadmill.

October goal - 50 miles
    MTD - 7.3 miles
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Oct goal 120 miles
    Oct 1.......11 miles.......MTD 11
    Oct 2.......11 miles.......MTD 22
    Oct 3.....,,10 miles.......MTD 32
    Oct 4........6 miles........MTD 38

@navygrrl Sorry to hear about the injury. Hope you heal quickly.

@KatieJane Here's to hoping you hear good news regarding your injury from the PT and you can run your marathon.

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    @lporter229 that is a great question and I will be sure to ask. I'm assuming I'll be able to since one of the things I know he's going to be working with me on is fixing a couple things in my running form, and you can't do that without running, lol.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Oct 1 - rest day
    Oct 2 - 7.5 miles
    Oct 3 - rest day
    Oct 4 - 7.5 miles

I want to get one more shorter run in on Saturday, and then on Monday I'm running the Tufts Women's 10k in Boston. My training runs are always solitary affairs, and the majority of races I run tend to be smallish local 5k's with around 200 entrants. So the Tufts with its 6,000 runners is always a great experience. Not expecting a PR because it can get a bit congested at the beginning, but if I come in under an hour I'll be happy.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    10/1 – 6 miles
    10/2 – rest day
    10/3 – 8 miles
    10/4 - 5 miles
    10/5 - 10 miles

29 of 100 miles

exercise.png

What a beautiful morning, cooler and just nice. Started to run and felt good so I started to map out a longer run in my head and decided to get in my long run this morning. It's just lovely how I pretend I don't have a job to get to in the morning ha ha.

Off to do some work and then back to catch up on the thread.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, one more thing (sorry, I am chatty today and nobody here to talk to at work). I ran with my flipbelt on Sunday and loved it. I had bought it last spring, but still had not used it. As sad as this is, this was the first time that I have ever carried my phone with me on a run. I know it's stupid to go out without it, but I am a serious minimalist when it comes to running with gear and I never had any place to put it. But the belt was great! I did not even know it was there. Highly recommend for anyone looking for something to carry your phone, ID, gels, etc.

I bought one a year ago and my husband swiped it. I should get another, like you I don't carry anything on a run, unless I take my hydration pack. I have a tube belt that works great in the cooler months.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @lporter229 sounds like you're having fun with the cross-training is going well for you.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    10/1 = 15 miles
    10/2 = 6.5 miles and strength training
    10/3 = rest day
    10/4 = 8 miles
    10/5 = 6.5 easy miles and strength training

Just some easy morning miles and weights at the gym this morning before work.

@navygrrl - Ouch! I hope your ankle heals soon. Sending healing thoughts your way. :)

36/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    5.7 miles with 8 hill repeats

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    I have a question for the guys. This weekend is my anniversary and since we will be doing the Bourbon Chase next weekend and my husband has very little running gear, I thought that I might get him a few items of new clothing. I was looking at shorts (he definitely likes at least mid length or longer) and I am wondering if he would like the added support of the two-in-one compression lined type shorts. Do any of you guys have an opinion on these? Love them? Hate them? Are there any specific "guy" issues I might need to consider? Thanks in advance for your help!