Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far

• icemaker1
    icemaker1 Posts: 14 Member
    100 mile goal
    Miles to date: 20.41
    Miles to goal: 79.59

Looks like I am not the only one trying to get back into the groove after taking some time off. Just trying to chunk down the goal into bite sized chunks. So far, so good.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    File under running related injuries I never expected to get... I bashed up my THUMB really good. It got caught in the security gate on the way back in from my run yesterday morning. OUCH. Nice blackened thumbnail to match all the toenails that runners get I guess! I do not think it is broken, but still hurts pretty good this morning! Yay!

How's the thumb? Do you think you'll end up losing the nail?

Still sore and tender but much less so. Not sure about the nail yet.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    @stoshew71 are you looking to register for Oak Barrel? I see it’s coming up.

I was actually thinking about it. When is registration?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    ...taking the shoes off is just the beginning! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

:lol::lol::lol:

There's still a few days to sign up for this race:

https://runsignup.com/Race/AZ/NewRiver/Nude5k

• PastorVincent
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning I did the barefoot thing for around a year and had mixed feelings about it. Some of the bigger problems I hit:

Asphalt is stinking HOT in the summer. Like burn your flesh hot.
    Trails and rough terrain require a lot more care.
    Cold weather was completely unmanageable
    You have to be constantly on the watch for litter (glass, still lit cigs, and so on)
    Your foot is exposed if you have to fight off a dog (yes this happen to me)

It has its benefits, especially in some terrain, such as a beach, dunes, streams and the like but it has its drawbacks too. After a while decided that, for me, the drawbacks were greater than I wanted to deal with.

Ditto! I'm an urban runner, and I don't think I have the patience to take the time to toughen my feet to handle asphalt, concrete, and cobblestone. However, ever since my beach races this summer, I've been contemplating adding a barefoot beach run every other week or so. I think it might be good for my feet and legs.

I would 100% do beach runs / races barefoot. Once you get used to it, I bet you are faster.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Something tells me the start line photo on that page is not from a prior year of that event...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @stoshew71 October 29th at 6:00 am
  • PastorVincent
    10/01 - Rest
    10/02 - 10 miles Z2
    10/03 - 9 miles easy Z2 in the heat
    10/04 - Strength + 7 miles Z3/4
    10/05 - Strength + 6 miles Z2 in the rain

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

10/14/2017 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km
    10/14/2017 - HAWAIIANS LOVE S.P.A.M. (Skin Protection Against Melanoma)
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

It rained the whole time I was doing my strength stuff (picking up tiny weights and putting them back down) but by the time I was done it stopped. So I went out, did not get more than a few mins before it started to rain again. Legs were still tired from yesterday so I pulled back my pace to 9:30 and just did 6 miles, and then headed in.

Its ragweed season here so that is really hampering my... well everything. Grrr.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member

I know people who spend every weekend there...

And my in-laws live near there. No, my in-laws aren't the ones spending their weekends there. LOL

Part of the beach I walked along on a walking trip earlier this year is a designated nudist beach. Really, there’s nothing worth seeing there.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »

I know people who spend every weekend there...

And my in-laws live near there. No, my in-laws aren't the ones spending their weekends there. LOL

Part of the beach I walked along on a walking trip earlier this year is a designated nudist beach. Really, there’s nothing worth seeing there.

I went to a topless beach in Spain on my high school trip. Let's just say it did not live up to the boys hopes.

They bbq and stuff at Shangri La and that just seems dangerous to do nude. I've had oil and boiling water splash in my stomach when I'm cooking in my sports bra and shorts and vow every time to never do that again.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @lporter229 I have to Parrot the comments of @WhatMeRunning and
    I'm not a fan of built in liners in my running shorts. Now you asked about compression lined, and I'm talking about a regular liner, but my point is this...I find it far better to have a pair of underwear that work well with any shorts, than to deal with different liners in different shorts. But big picture, I think you'll find guys who love them and guys who hate them.
    I wear SAXX minimum 7" Inseam length, they have a Hammock built in that prevents accidental over-exposure. Never have any chaffing issues even if I am doing a HM with no Body Glide. I have 2 shorts that had ( since cut them out ) liners and they were both uncomfortable, uneven pressure, seams that chaffed etc.
    Like Lenny the SAXX fit into any Athletic/Running short that I have. They are a little pricey but comfort over rides cost. I mean there are some places you just don't want to suffer any chaffing. Why do you think all the Old Cowboys were Bull legged when they walked from there horse to the bar. B)
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Oct. 5 - 3K walk/run after work cuz I am sooooo not a morning person.
    MTD - 16.5K / 100K
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Oct goal 120 miles
    Oct 1.......11 miles.......MTD 11
    Oct 2.......11 miles.......MTD 22
    Oct 3.....,,10 miles.......MTD 32
    Oct 4........6 miles........MTD 38
    Oct 5........0 miles........MTD 38.

Much needed rest day. Stay safe everyone.