Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    10/1- 6 miles+ doggie walking
    10/2-P90X3 Total Synergystics+ doggie walking
    10/3-P90X3 Agility +7.1 hilly miles
    10/4- P90X3 yoga + hour of walking the pup
    10/5-45 minute weight training+5 miles+15 min doggie walk

Last night was a good night. I had a 45 minute session with my trainer at the gym. We hit legs and chest pretty heavy, so I was a bit unsure about my run. I purposely waited until dark so I could run with my head lamp. It was such an eerie night. It had rained hard all day so there was a ton of fog in the valleys but there was also a full moon so it made for some pretty great views, especially coming over the hills. I hit some undeveloped territory adjacent to the subdivision across the street, the best I could do to simulate remote country roads without straying too far from my house. All in all it was a really cool run and has me (maybe) kind of looking forward to running my 3AM leg.

@_nikkiwolf_ - I love hearing your crazy running stories.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    I had a chance to assess the stairs at Red Rocks. Not gonna lie. Getting up them at the end of the race won't be easy. I don't think I'll be able to take them two at a time without falling on my face. I figure I'll know what to do when I get there and know as soon as I'm at the top, the finish line is 25 yards away.

I think even if you take them one at a time and kind of "skip" up there, you will sprint at the very end. You are killing it! I have walked those steps and know it is killer. AND, you are doing it at serious elevation! I can't wait to hear how it goes this weekend.

I'm excited and terrified. Skipping is a great idea. Not quite running, but not slowing to a walk. I think the trick is finding just the right momentum to keep going at a constant all the way up. I'll rely on my old, slow self when I first started running to remember how to go while still barely going.

My future self would really like to race at sea level, just to see what a difference the elevation makes. I live at close to 5400' elevation.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    @girlinahat that sounds like the most amazing strategy, and one I will remember in December when I go for the HM.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    hjeppley wrote: »
    Was proud that I managed to squeeze in a 3 mi run (and a quick shower) despite a fully scheduled day with two job candidates interviewing today. Saw a new PT for a running form analysis to help me fix issues, promote long term health and a return to longer mileage runs. She also did ASTYM all over my hip, groin, and quad area. It is already bruising! V. v. painful but hopefully will make a difference! 2 new strength and stretching things I am supposed to do daily for my calves, quads and hips. Little bit of stretching before bedtime too.

Goal: 75 mi
    Today (10/5): 3 mi
    Total: 11 mi
    To go: 64 mi

Once you mentioned "v. v. painful" and "already bruising!" I had to google ASTYM, because it sounded very similar to my first PT session on Wednesday, lol. And I'm pretty sure that's what my PT was doing too, or something similar. He used his hands but also this curved metal tool that he really worked into the ligament. Holy *kitten* was it painful and I, too, am bruising from it, but hopefully it really helps!

Thanks guys, and the internet, you learn something new every day!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited October 2017
    I hate crutches too @navygrrl. Oddly when I used them for a knee sprain a long, long time ago, my other healthy leg was the one that tended to give me more problems later on in the years after it all healed up. I'm definitely not saying to take it really easy, that is the worst thing to do. But do be mindful of putting too much wear and tear on the good leg. Granted, I was a complete idiot back then, with no concept of how to take care of myself. But still...
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    @navygrrl! You poor thing!!! I am so sorry. I have been there. You are more than welcome to hang out with us if you feel but we all understand. I hope you heal quickly!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I hate crutches too @navygrrl. Oddly when I used them for a knee sprain a long, long time ago, my other healthy leg was the one that tended to give me more problems later on in the years after it all healed up. I'm definitely not saying to take it really easy, that is the worst thing to do. But do be mindful of putting too much wear and tear on the good leg. Granted, I was a complete idiot back then, with no concept of how to take care of myself. But still...

Same here. I'm struggling with bursitis in the "good leg". I suspect crutches contributed.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    rest day
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @fitoverfortymom - I skipped to the end of my half-marathon. Basically I thought I saw the finish line, and decided on a sprint finish, but it was WAY further away than I realised. I wasn’t willing to lose face and slow to a walk with all those people staring at me ringing cow bells, so I put a grin on my face, skipping, dancing my tutu.

I have vowed ever since to skip finish every race.

THAT. IS. AWESOME!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @fitoverfortymom - I skipped to the end of my half-marathon. Basically I thought I saw the finish line, and decided on a sprint finish, but it was WAY further away than I realised. I wasn’t willing to lose face and slow to a walk with all those people staring at me ringing cow bells, so I put a grin on my face, skipping, dancing my tutu.

I have vowed ever since to skip finish every race.

I've done the sprint too soon thing many and just always kept pushing. I never thought to skip/dance. Which is probably smarter than mine seeing as I basically collapse after. LOL
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    October Running Challenge
    Goal: 80 km
    Ran: 31.5/80 km

6/10/17 Run 8.5 km
    5/10/17 Run 7 km
    4/10/17 Run 7 km
    3/10/17 Run 9 km
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    garygse wrote: »
    Yesterday was spent travelling to Long Beach CA, so running was out of the question, but I met up with the other two runners from my morning group and we had dinner while talking about the upcoming race. Today was supposed to be a rest day, but due to yesterday's lack of running, I switched it with today and got 2.8 miles in this morning running around the harbor

The expo also starts today at noon, so I'll be there to pick up my race packet before the crowds fully arrive. The bonus to that is that I can take in the expo today and rest my legs nicely tomorrow.

And finally, the original plan to drive north today to meet up with an old friend isn't going to happen...his sister became sick this past week and sadly passed away, so he's in a bit of a state of shock and making plans to fly back to the UK. One of the downsides to being an expat is the distance to family in times like this.

Good luck this weekend. I am confident you will crush it. We will all be pulling for you!

This weekend is also the Chicago marathon. I am pretty sure that is @ariceroni 's race. Just wanted to wish you good luck lady. I know you said you probably wouldn't check in, but sending good vibes your way!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    garygse wrote: »
    Yesterday was spent travelling to Long Beach CA, so running was out of the question, but I met up with the other two runners from my morning group and we had dinner while talking about the upcoming race. Today was supposed to be a rest day, but due to yesterday's lack of running, I switched it with today and got 2.8 miles in this morning running around the harbor

The expo also starts today at noon, so I'll be there to pick up my race packet before the crowds fully arrive. The bonus to that is that I can take in the expo today and rest my legs nicely tomorrow.

And finally, the original plan to drive north today to meet up with an old friend isn't going to happen...his sister became sick this past week and sadly passed away, so he's in a bit of a state of shock and making plans to fly back to the UK. One of the downsides to being an expat is the distance to family in times like this.
    Good luck man, hope you have a smooth run.

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Well, I sure missed a lot. You guys are very talkative. :smile:

Yesterday I was able to get in 10k. It's getting dark earlier now so I'm eventually going to have to retreat to the treadmill. Trouble is, I can no longer go to the gym. It just upsets my anxiety too much with it being so crowded. So either I have to find a gym with no people, or get my own treadmill which I cannot afford.

I'm really bummed about this. I may not be able to run in the winter because of this situation. It's made me very upset.

There's always my Daily Burn app, I guess, but I really want to run too.

I can't run in the dark. It's too dangerous. So no early mornings, no after work. When the hell am I going to run? Just weekends? That sucks.

I don't suppose anyone out there has a treadmill they don't want? :neutral:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited October 2017
    Good luck this weekend @garygse, @BruinsGal_91 and @ariceroni! (and anyone else racing this weekend) :wink:

I pushed the pace on today's one miler in my bare socks now that I am more comfortable running that way. Made it without stopping even though I was huffing and puffing at the top of the hill at the halfway point where I was pushing near my maxHR. But I still had a full tank in the running chain department and I have certainly felt far worse for the wear on longer runs in the past, so I kept on without issue for the rest of the way back which was basically all downhill. I pushed a bit harder every time a realization occurred to me that I thought I might be going easier than required to reach the mile point. I probably could have pushed harder at some points on the way back, but I'm OK with feeling this stuff out in the beginning.

10/2 - 1 mile
    10/3 - 1 mile
    10/5 - 1 mile
    10/6 - 1 mile

4 of 20 total miles complete

exercise.png