Sodium / Salt

After a good few years I come back to MyFitnessPal to find nothing has been done to this fiasco. There are so many incorrect entries because people think salt and sodium are the same. Why doesn’t MyFitnessPal let the user decide which to use, much like a weather app lets u use either farenheight or centigrade.

People are inputting salt numbers in sodium thinking they are the same. The app needs to let people enter actual salt figures and show that rather then display sodium figures unless that’s what the user uses.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    You can edit the numbers if they're incorrect.

I personally don't track sodium, so whilst I'll always enter it (according to the nutritional panel of a food) I never pay any attention to whether other entries I use are correct in that respect.
  • jbauer83
    jbauer83 Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2017
    Yes but you don’t always know that they are incorrect unless u have the food label there to compare.

Also not sure if I’m being stupid but the only thing I can change is the serving size. Nothing else.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    As far as I know, you have to be on the website to edit nutrition information of foods.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    neldabg wrote: »
    As far as I know, you have to be on the website to edit nutrition information of foods.

This and the food cannot be a verified entry
  • jbauer83
    The app needs to let users pick which they use for this. There’s too many people entering salt numbers into the sodium field even though they are not the same values. MFP needs to realise not every country uses Sodium numbers. In fact most use salt. And like weather apps give us the option which one we see, ie. Fahrenheit or Centigrade! Here we want either Salt or Sodium.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    The US and Australia have Sodium on the nutrional labels. As MFP is heavy on American members, where would the people be getting Salt numbers?
  • jbauer83
    I’ve just gone round my house scanning barcodes every item that has a sodium number on the app is wrong. People are thinking salt and sodium are the same nunber!!! Worst still the salt on packaging is measured in Grams but on the app sodium is measured in MG. so if the packet says 0.3g salt people are putting in 0.3 in the sodium too!!! Instead of 750!!

How have the creators of MyFitnessPal not done anything about this?!?! Or is it cos they only care about the USA?!?
  • jbauer83
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    The US and Australia have Sodium on the nutrional labels. As MFP is heavy on American members, where would the people be getting Salt numbers?

U.K. AND EUROPE!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    jbauer83 wrote: »
    The app needs to let users pick which they use for this. There’s too many people entering salt numbers into the sodium field even though they are not the same values. MFP needs to realise not every country uses Sodium numbers. In fact most use salt. And like weather apps give us the option which one we see, ie. Fahrenheit or Centigrade! Here we want either Salt or Sodium.

Very insightful. I always thought they were the same. Now I'm searching my house and can't find a single label that says Salt, so I guess my situation is different to yours. Even the Salt label listed how much Sodium is in it per serving!!
  • moestavern
    moestavern Posts: 8 Member
    I’ve just gone round my house scanning barcodes every item that has a sodium number on the app is wrong. People are thinking salt and sodium are the same nunber!!! Worst still the salt on packaging is measured in Grams but on the app sodium is measured in MG. so if the packet says 0.3g salt people are putting in 0.3 in the sodium too!!! Instead of 750!!

How have the creators of MyFitnessPal not done anything about this?!?! Or is it cos they only care about the USA?!?

• jbauer83
    moestavern wrote: »
    0.3grams of salt isn’t 750mg, it’s 120mg of sodium.

If you need to work out your intake from grams salt to milligrams of sodium, then follow this......

Grams of salt (in ur case as example 0.3)
    Now divide that by 2.5 then multiply it by a 1000.

So 0.3 grams of salt contains 120mg of sodium.

I stand corrected. This is even more of a reason why we should have the option to either enter the salt or sodium value!!!

• moestavern
    moestavern Posts: 8 Member
    If your anything like me, I buy more or less the same weekly shop every week, so all my entries I have created and entered myself manually, I’d never use mfp entries as I don’t think I’ve ever found 1 complete and correct
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    If your anything like me, I buy more or less the same weekly shop every week, so all my entries I have created and entered myself manually, I’d never use mfp entries as I don’t think I’ve ever found 1 complete and correct
    This.

I enter everything I use in My Foods and don't share with the database. This lets me customize the name and I know that I've entered the information the way I want it entered and no one can edit it but me. I do double-check items periodically to make sure the nutrition info hasn't been changed by the manufacturer.

It takes a bit of time to set up but it's so much faster and easier in the long run.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I watch sodium- why you only watch salt? I check the sodium numbers against the labels and they are usually pretty accurate. I’m not sure where this is coming from.
  • cmtigger
    edited October 2017

If you need to work out your intake from grams salt to milligrams of sodium, then follow this......

I stand corrected. This is even more of a reason why we should have the option to either enter the salt or sodium value!!!

Why would you want to only track salt? If you have a medical condition the doctors give you a total sodium number, not just added salt.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2017
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I watch sodium- why you only watch salt? I check the sodium numbers against the labels and they are usually pretty accurate. I’m not sure where this is coming from.

Why would you want to only track salt? If you have a medical condition the doctors give you a total sodium number, not just added salt.
    It's not just added salt.

United States (and some other areas) nutrition labels show sodium in milligrams.

hgr9q3cb8hi9.jpg

EU (and some other areas) nutrition labels show salt in grams so doctors would likely discuss grams of salt rather than milligrams of sodium.

kqe1vdx395gg.jpg

Salt (well, table salt which is the salt we are talking about here) is sodium chloride. 40% of the weight of sodium chloride comes from the sodium.

2400 mg of sodium is the same amount of sodium as is found in 6 grams of salt. It's easy enough to use math to convert between the two but, I'm sure, a pain to have to constantly watch for whether the database entry is really meaning sodium or salt.
  • cmtigger
    seska422 wrote: »

It's not just added salt.

United States (and some other areas) nutrition labels show sodium in milligrams.

hgr9q3cb8hi9.jpg

EU (and some other areas) nutrition labels show salt in grams so doctors would likely discuss grams of salt rather than milligrams of sodium.

kqe1vdx395gg.jpg

Salt (well, table salt which is the salt we are talking about here) is sodium chloride. 40% of the weight of sodium chloride comes from the sodium.

2400 mg of sodium is the same amount of sodium as is found in 6 grams of salt. It's easy enough to use math to convert between the two but, I'm sure, a pain to have to constantly watch for whether the database entry is really meaning sodium or salt.

It’s not really an issue in the US, and it is a US based company. I don’t expect UK based companies to cater to some of the US labeling laws.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm in Australia and our sodium labeling is the same as the US. But when i buy foods from the UK/Europe i go here to get the conversion.

https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/healthy-eating/food-and-nutrition/salt/sodium-and-salt-converter
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Does the sodium listed on U.S. nutrition labels only include sodium from (table) salt (NaCl)? What if there are other compounds with sodium in the food, like baking soda (NaHCO3) or monosodium glutamate? Doesn't the label include that sodium as well?

The EU label seems weird to me, saying "Salt content is exclusively due to the presence of naturally occurring sodium," since you can have tons of naturally occurring sodium, but if there are no chloride ions, there's no salt. And it's sodium that's the concern (for those for whom it is a concern), not just sodium in salt, right?