October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @allyphoe Yuck. Sorry about your teen's head. :(
    @garygse - Awesome! You crushed your first marathon!
    @lporter229 - Happy Anniversary!!!!
    I guess I would say my goal would be to run 60 miles by the end of this month. (God, I hope that's not crazy for someone like me starting out?!)

Hard to say without knowing your condition - Can you run say 15-20 miles in a week? To get to 60 that is what you are looking at now. Say 5-7 miles on 3 days a week? Or 4-5 miles on 4 days a week? You will want at least 2 rest days if you are just starting out, maybe more.
  • PastorVincent
    Phew! WORD OT THE WISE: if you take a rest day, you need to stay up with this thread anyways! LOL

I think I read most of the posts I was behind, if I missed anything important, sorry! :)
  • PastorVincent
    Hey guys guess what. I got a treadmill!!!

I went on Craigslist and found a guy in the next town over who was selling one for $280. It works great too.

Getting it home was an adventure. We hauled it home in the back of my Kia Soul. Luckily it folds up so it fit okay, but it hung out the back a bit so we had to drive with the trunk open. Then we had to get it in the house. It JUST cleared the doors, phew.

Now it's in the back room, ready for winter. Thanks to everyone who suggested looking online. Now I can go cancel my gym membership. :smile:

Yay!!
  • ACJones82
    ACJones82 Posts: 53 Member
    It's tapper week. Extra rest day today. 5km speed session at the track on Tuesday. Time Trial at the clubhouse on Thursday. Half Marathon on Saturday.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @navygrrl Workers Comp always take forever. I'm sorry you have to deal with that but zooming around a grocery store could be fun!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited October 2017
    October Running Challenge
    Goal: 80 km
    Ran: 36.8/80 km

9/10/17 Run 5.3 km
    6/10/17 Run 8.5 km
    5/10/17 Run 7 km
    4/10/17 Run 7 km
    3/10/17 Run 9 km
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I had to cut my long run short this morning so I only got 5.7 miles in.

@kgirlhart - When you're feeling just a little bummed because you didn't run as far as you wanted, throw that line at some non-runners and watch their reaction. That can be kind of fun.
    kevaasen wrote: »
    Ran a fantastic and very fast (for me) 12k race in San Fran (7:40 per mile avg) and ran most of my total mileage above in the city with some fantastic views of the bay. Finished the rest of my mileage with a 10K race on Saturday and while I improved my official race time from my last 10k race earlier this summer it ended up being a slower pace than the slightly longer 12k a few days prior. Ultimately I think I started out to fast and it ended up teaching me a lesson that I will be sure to try and remember on future races.

@kevaasen - Race pacing is an art, and it can take a few tries to get it right. The theory is easy enough; you run a 10K slower than a 5K but faster than a 12K. But finding the right pace *for you* can be tricky. I don't think I got 5K race pacing right until after I'd done a few 3 mile tempo intervals in marathon training.

Thanks @MobyCarp. 100% agree on it being an art. I was "fooled" by my split paces on the 12K and was applying the logic that I could do the 10K faster, however I was way too aggressive in the first 5K (might have been a good target pace for only a 5K). Net is I ended up slowing down for the 2nd half. In retrospect, if I would have started slower - in theory, I should have had some more gas in the tank to finish with a stronger 2nd half i.e. negative splits and perhaps an overall faster time. Still was a 10K race PR....so I am happy with the overall result.

Also, my other thought is, better to practice and experience this now on a relatively short race vs on my 2nd half marathon in late Nov or when I look to run a full marathon sometime next year.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Jeebus, why's it still pushin' 90 here? I was seriously gonna get a lunch run in today, but gah... Where's the cooler weather?

Doubt if I make it out after work. My cat got (I think snake bit, vet thought another cat... She's not the fighting type and there are 2 puncture wounds on her low back like she was just laying somewhere and it got her. *shrugs*) and is fine but she's my baby, I wanna check up on her. Last night my dogs encountered a skunk.... So... Pew. DH has the day off and had bathe the dogs and do the vet with the biggest cry baby cat. Animals.

Think I'll do some clean up in the woods, discourage the snakes and skunks. Call it cross training.

@WhatMeRunning I do love the new shoes!
  • PastorVincent
    10/01 - Rest
    10/02 - 10 miles Z2
    10/03 - 9 miles easy Z2 in the heat
    10/04 - Strength + 7 miles Z3/4
    10/05 - Strength + 6 miles Z2 in the rain
    10/06 - 11 Miles Z2
    10/07 - 16 Miles Z2
    10/08 - Rest
    10/09 - 9 Miles Z2

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

10/14/2017 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km
    10/14/2017 - HAWAIIANS LOVE S.P.A.M. (Skin Protection Against Melanoma)
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Today was a very slow 9 miles. 95% humidity and a dewpoint of 70 meant I was lucky not to die, never mind finish. I took the flattest route around here, so only 600 feet of elevation. Pretty miserable, but eh, still better than sitting at a desk all day. :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    @WhatMeRunning

I used to run in Vibrams - there were not much different than what you are attempting to make. Might be easier to just get them and save yourself the trouble? I do not know what they go for these days, but I know there was a large knockoff market at one point so that should drive the price down.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    @mobycarp Thanks! That really made me feel good about my short, long run. And you are so right. I have family members who think I run crazy amounts. They don't realize that there are people who run in a week what I run in a month.

@elise4270 We are at 86 today but tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 68. It works out for me that today is a rest day. I'm looking forward to running tomorrow.

Dogs and skunks are not a good mix. I hope the kitty is better soon.

Today is a rest day for me, but as usual I am reading this thread so I don't get too far behind.

I am trying to decide if I should sign up for a HM in the spring or not. The one I am looking at is May 19th. How far before a HM should you start training? And does anyone know of any good training plans that run 4 days a week? Or would I need to run 5 days a week? Four days really works well for me. Typically the only "cross-training" I do is about 30 minutes or so of yoga M-F before work. I usually run Tues, Wed and Thurs about 3 miles and Sunday I am up to about 7.5 for my long run.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    @PastorVincent - If I buy barefoot/minimalist shoes, I'm not sure yet what brand I'll go with. This was something I recall seeing some time back and thought to share again recently. I decided, "what the heck, only one way to find out".

I still have several pairs of regular running shoes to wear out. It just doesn't feel right to give up on them and buying those barefoot shoes. But, I know it will be done at some point in the not so distant future (just hopefully not this week).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Thanks @kgirlhart . Looks like we'll be in the low 50's in the AM... Maybe I can get a before work run, and a lunch run in. Ya know- if I get my lazy scared of the dark kitten up.

@WhatMeRunning I saw a guy today on Strava post pics of himself. He was running barefoot in a grassy area, not an area I'd run barefoot in as I've seen posionous snakes out there. Maybe you can find a football field for barefoot sprints? Or sneak in to a golf course LOL! Ohh I bet that'd be some good running!
  • PastorVincent
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I am trying to decide if I should sign up for a HM in the spring or not. The one I am looking at is May 19th. How far before a HM should you start training? And does anyone know of any good training plans that run 4 days a week? Or would I need to run 5 days a week? Four days really works well for me. Typically the only "cross-training" I do is about 30 minutes or so of yoga M-F before work. I usually run Tues, Wed and Thurs about 3 miles and Sunday I am up to about 7.5 for my long run.

12-18 weeks is where most Half and Full Marathon training plans that I have seen fall. My Full Marathon is So you would be looking at a late January early February for your training to start pending what plan you go with.

May also, but the first Sunday so even a bit earlier than yours. For me, that means early January start. Dead of winter here in N/E USA. Fun.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    @PastorVincent @WhatMeRunning most advice on starting shoeless running - ie. with no shoes at all, actually recommends starting on concrete. That way the foot learns proprioception.

I love the dipped shoe idea - I’m on a running vacation this weekend with a couple of barefoot runners so will see what morsels of advice I can get!!!