I'm deciding to end my Vegan journey after 1 year.

Replies

• Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    Look in the mirror and smile and you'll see two reasons why you should not be vegetarian

1). Your eyes are in the front of your head. You're a hunter. Plant eating animals have eyes on the side of their heads.

2). You have canine teeth. Used to bite and tear meat, not plants .

What about hippos and gorillas? lol
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    So after a year of going strong with plant based, trying raw, high carb-low fat/protein, and other strategies, I have decided to add Fish into my diet. I noticed that I do not process grains very well and I believe it's the reason for my Chronic Fatigue. Most of the foods causes bloating, and it's a back and forth trying to find the right foods. Yes I still believe it's the healthiest lifestyle, but my body is not accepting it as I like.

I've read and heard several testimonials of high energy and this is something that I Just don't get. I want to be as natural as possible, but B12 is not found in any plants or foods, unless it's fortified. So it makes me think, about how our ancestors really managed. Fish will only make up about 10% of my protein and the rest is plant based.

I have read tons of books and researched everything possible so, nothing is new to me. I just came to the conclusion that our bodies are jacked up from centuries over time.

Any thoughts.

I commend you on what you have done so far. I have found it is always an experiment until we get it down. Keep experimenting until you find what works for you.
  • Lavelle1980
    Well, one of the benefits of meta-cognition is that we don't have to act like our evolutionary ancestors and cousins.

We can do whatever we want. We can have diets for philosophical reasons, or not...

It sounds like you are doing the right thing to make a change, though. Being tired all of the time must wear on you...I would want a really REALLY good philosophical reason to make myself be tired all of the time if you suspect diet is the culprit.

Thanks. I was preaching this Vegan lifestyle to a lot and it has actually helped with a few I known to reverse diabetes. But I couldn't fake it any longer and pretend I felt like a super hero. I still believe in plants as this optimum source, but omega 3's from fish and complete proteins are essential as well as b12 from animals instead of relying on a pill to take each day. Why take pills if it was all natural anyways.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    So after a year of going strong with plant based, trying raw, high carb-low fat/protein, and other strategies, I have decided to add Fish into my diet. I noticed that I do not process grains very well and I believe it's the reason for my Chronic Fatigue. Most of the foods causes bloating, and it's a back and forth trying to find the right foods. Yes I still believe it's the healthiest lifestyle, but my body is not accepting it as I like.

I've read and heard several testimonials of high energy and this is something that I Just don't get. I want to be as natural as possible, but B12 is not found in any plants or foods, unless it's fortified. So it makes me think, about how our ancestors really managed. Fish will only make up about 10% of my protein and the rest is plant based.

I have read tons of books and researched everything possible so, nothing is new to me. I just came to the conclusion that our bodies are jacked up from centuries over time.

Any thoughts.

The best thing to do is talk to your doctor. Maybe you're not getting enough vitamin D, or maybe it is a different reason. Maybe it's because of your diet, or maybe it's not.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Look in the mirror and smile and you'll see two reasons why you should not be vegetarian

1). Your eyes are in the front of your head. You're a hunter. Plant eating animals have eyes on the side of their heads.

Monkeys have canines and front eyes and they don't eat meat. Do they?
    Chimps will eat each other

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member

Chimps will eat each other

Chimps aren't monkeys.
  • 150by60
    150by60 Posts: 2 Member
    It makes sense to listen to your body.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

Humans are plant eating animals. The fact that we eat meat doesn't change the fact that we eat plants.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    edited October 2017

Our odontology shows that we actually have a diverse diet. biting, tearing, sheering meat and vegetation.

Monkeys eat living things if that counts? Much better vision/smell than us humans to hunt.

Chimpanzees who are wayyyyyy more related to humans do eat meat better comparison.

I heard oreos are vegan, is this true?
  • Lavelle1980
    ZodFit wrote: »

Our odontology shows that we actually have a diverse diet. biting, tearing, sheering meat and vegetation.

Monkeys eat living things if that counts? Much better vision/smell than us humans to hunt.

Chimpanzees who are wayyyyyy more related to humans do eat meat better comparison.

I'm starting to agree on this as well. I just took a bite from a paleo - frozen chicken meal, 30 mins later, I'm starting to feel energized again. From a logical perspective: we have a sense of taste and we love the way meat and fish taste. It's the reason why dogs do not eat fruit because of the smell and the taste. Why do we have these sense if they do not work for fruits and plants the same. We only use our sense of sight, but then again, there are tons of beautiful berries and plants that will kill us. This too makes me wonder about how we are designed biologically.

We can smell roast beef from a mile away. I guess my cognitive dissonance is being kicking of what I wanted to be true about veganism. Now I'm questioning the true nature of the human. Maybe it's a balance of life and death, likewise a balance of night & day, and so on.

Why did I just receive energy after digesting a skinless chicken breast? Maybe both aspects are just as important.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited October 2017
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I think most of the ocean is a garbage dump and too much fish is dangerous these days.

Isn’t there b12 in brewers yeast? I thought I read that once, could be wrong.

Brewers and Nutritional yeast only have b12 if they are fortified with it (nutritional yeast often is, no idea about brewers yeast). Plant milks also are fortified with b12 frequently. Even if you consume fortified foods, I think it's worth taking a supplement.

http://veganhealth.org/b12/vegansources
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2017
    Well, one of the benefits of meta-cognition is that we don't have to act like our evolutionary ancestors and cousins.

We can do whatever we want. We can have diets for philosophical reasons, or not...

It sounds like you are doing the right thing to make a change, though. Being tired all of the time must wear on you...I would want a really REALLY good philosophical reason to make myself be tired all of the time if you suspect diet is the culprit.

Thanks. I was preaching this Vegan lifestyle to a lot and it has actually helped with a few I known to reverse diabetes. But I couldn't fake it any longer and pretend I felt like a super hero. I still believe in plants as this optimum source, but omega 3's from fish and complete proteins are essential as well as b12 from animals instead of relying on a pill to take each day. Why take pills if it was all natural anyways.

Here's the thing: there are alternate sources for Omega 3 (I get mine from algae) and you can get complete proteins from plants (a few plants are complete and your body can easily combine the proteins in other foods).

I'm not sure why you are convinced that veganism has to be all natural. We do tons of things that aren't natural (you're having a discussion on a computer right now) and I don't know relevance "natural" has for your actions in 2017.

If you no longer wish to be vegan, I don't think there is anything anyone can say to convince you otherwise. But I hope when you explain your reasons why, you keep it factual.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ZodFit wrote: »

I'm starting to agree on this as well. I just took a bite from a paleo - frozen chicken meal, 30 mins later, I'm starting to feel energized again. From a logical perspective: we have a sense of taste and we love the way meat and fish taste. It's the reason why dogs do not eat fruit because of the smell and the taste. Why do we have these sense if they do not work for fruits and plants the same. We only use our sense of sight, but then again, there are tons of beautiful berries and plants that will kill us. This too makes me wonder about how we are designed biologically.

We can smell roast beef from a mile away. I guess my cognitive dissonance is being kicking of what I wanted to be true about veganism. Now I'm questioning the true nature of the human. Maybe it's a balance of life and death, likewise a balance of night & day, and so on.

Why did I just receive energy after digesting a skinless chicken breast? Maybe both aspects are just as important.

Humans are omnivores, biologically. We're capable of getting energy and nutrition from all types of foods, including chicken.

Also, some dogs do eat fruit. One of my dogs loves to get bits of apple, mango, or strawberries as a snack.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Do what feels right for you, boo.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I had a dog that would sit in command and way home tail for apple slices. I think he hoped for something better but he ate anything he could get his mouth on.

Also dogs eat what they find in cat boxes, they're not a good role model for eating.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    150by60 wrote: »
    It makes sense to listen to your body.

I dunno, my body (and mind) says some pretty creepy *kitten*.

.... I only listen to it half the time.