Strict Diet!

13»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Dozer8814 wrote: »
    I'm not diabetic yet. I'm on a diabetic diet. And low is however low I can get them! He's concerned about carbs because I choose unhealthy carbs. He's worried about sodium because I eat too much. And sodium retains water and leads to weight gain. Calories should be self explanatory... thank you everyone that contributed positive advice and recipes or food ideas here. I appreciate it!!

This is what I suspected... he just wants you to lose weight. Losing weight is the single most important thing a person can do to get his or her health markers under control. Losing 65 lbs got me from one of the highest cardiac risk categories to one of the lowest, and cut my bad cholesterol & blood sugars substantially, all while still indulging in some "bad carbs" (though obviously in much lower quantities so I could still meet my calorie goals). To lose weight, you are going to have to limit your choices to things that will keep you within your calorie allowance period, regardless of what those foods are. We all end up modifying our diets somewhat to meet our calorie goals, and in my case, I do choose fewer carbs now, not because they're carbs, but because they just don't fill me up enough for the calories. But my diet definitely doesn't qualify as low-carb. Many doctors throw low-carb out there as a blanket solution to cut calories out of a person's diet... it's not born from medical necessity. You've made it clear you want to do it this way, and that's perfectly fine. But for the benefit or lurkers, many posters are trying to point out that, by choosing a more restrictive route, it may in fact limit a person's long-term success. Your own initial post seemed to indicate you were unhappy with the plan, which can make it difficult to stick to. But that doesn't mean you are doomed to failure, either! I hope you find a way that works for you :)
  • Dozer8814
    Dozer8814 Posts: 29 Member
    Ok! I didn't wanna just blast my business! But here goes. I am sorry first and foremost. I have gone without caffeine and I'm sort of a hag. BUT! Here goes everything you should know. I am not diabetic. I have extremely low blood pressure. My triglyceride levels were 150 over what is normal. My doctor and I have decided that we were going to stick to this "diet" for 2 weeks and come back to retest and it's more of a jump to get my body to detox and to reset. Also, when people say things like have diet soda, etc. I appreciate that advice. Truly. BUT. My body and my mind become so addicted to things that I can't just have one, OR I switch to regular again. So we cold turkey cut out soda and coffee because I can't drink my coffee black and don't want to waste calories on creamer. He recommended to cold turkey everything that is addictive to me for 2 weeks. Then I go back and discuss how I want things to be. Do I want to be able to have a soda once a week? Once a month? What can I do? OR if I feel so great I just don't want the soda and coffee. As for the carbs, I love my bad carbs. I could sit there and snack on some chips, but again, I would sit and eat the whole bag. I can't just stop. My body and willpower SUCKS! So anything that I love becomes an addiction. A snickers bar a week turns into a snickers bar a day, then more a day. It's just how I am and I hate it, which is why we chose this diet for a temporary fix. Later on, if i can retrain my body, I will be adding in some of the foods I love and see if they won't become addictive. That being said, I truly am thankful for the advice given by all you people. I just have so many stipulations that prevent me from "just have some so often..." I hope this helps!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Ok! I didn't wanna just blast my business! But here goes. I am sorry first and foremost. I have gone without caffeine and I'm sort of a hag. BUT! Here goes everything you should know. I am not diabetic. I have extremely low blood pressure. My triglyceride levels were 150 over what is normal. My doctor and I have decided that we were going to stick to this "diet" for 2 weeks and come back to retest and it's more of a jump to get my body to detox and to reset. Also, when people say things like have diet soda, etc. I appreciate that advice. Truly. BUT. My body and my mind become so addicted to things that I can't just have one, OR I switch to regular again. So we cold turkey cut out soda and coffee because I can't drink my coffee black and don't want to waste calories on creamer. He recommended to cold turkey everything that is addictive to me for 2 weeks. Then I go back and discuss how I want things to be. Do I want to be able to have a soda once a week? Once a month? What can I do? OR if I feel so great I just don't want the soda and coffee. As for the carbs, I love my bad carbs. I could sit there and snack on some chips, but again, I would sit and eat the whole bag. I can't just stop. My body and willpower SUCKS! So anything that I love becomes an addiction. A snickers bar a week turns into a snickers bar a day, then more a day. It's just how I am and I hate it, which is why we chose this diet for a temporary fix. Later on, if i can retrain my body, I will be adding in some of the foods I love and see if they won't become addictive. That being said, I truly am thankful for the advice given by all you people. I just have so many stipulations that prevent me from "just have some so often..." I hope this helps!

I think you may be underestimating how many people on here have been capable of polishing off a package of oreos or a bag of potato chips in a sitting ;)

Many people do benefit from temporarily avoiding foods that they have a hard time moderating. I just hope you will enjoy a large variety of the foods that don't pose issues for you. I hope your trial period goes well and that you will continue to utilize MFP and benefit from the wealth of experience you will find here. If you haven't already, you may want to take a look at the stickied posts at the top of the Getting Started & General Diet & Fitness sections. :)
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    If your doctor is using words like "jump start" and "detox" your body, you should find a better doctor.

Switch to a zero or diet soda if you can. You can have multiple, they don't affect your calories.

Restricting yourself this much may lead to a binge habit. Learn better habits, eat what you want within a deficit, and ENJOY your weight loss.
  • kaye4health
    kaye4health Posts: 115 Member
    edited October 2017
    try2again wrote: »
    I've been following this discussion and just want to point something out. While I always put a disclaimer in there that you should defer to your doctor, I think it's important to understand *why* your doctor specified low-carb. Was he just spouting the standard advice based on the assumption that you eat too much bread & pasta and in the interest of you losing weight fast, or is it specifically to target something related to your diabetes? (I don't know much about diabetes.) If it's the first one, there's really no reason for it (although many find empty carbs the most expendable when trying to limit calories). In either case, if you aren't going to be able to stick with it because it's too restrictive, it's not going to help. But I do hope you can commit to whatever needs done to get your health under control. Wish you the best :)

Type 2 Diabetes is a disease of insulin resistance - the pancreas and liver don't work together properly to process glucose, which is made from carbs. So yes, it's very important for type 2 diabetics to limit carbs. How much they need to limit carbs is a matter of contention, with the ADA recommending no more than 60g per meal and 150g per day net carbs, and some doctors such as Bernstein recommending a strict low carb diet without even fruit.

On the diabetes support forum here, I have friends with well controlled type 2 who eat high, low, and moderate carb diets. The most important thing is learning your own tolerances and "eating to the meter."

^^^^ this. I too am diabetic type 2 and yes, I eat fruit, but some fruits I cannot eat (like banana's) an apple only by itself. etc. Most diabetic's can eat any berry fruit. (they are low on carbs, natural sugars and low GI index). Also like above poster said. some diabetics can eat 200 carbs a day, others 100, others 50 and some cannot go over 10 or 20 in a day. You need to test test and test to see where your body is at in tolerance of the carbs per meal/snack. Then you will know how to distribute those carbs. I can eat approx. 100 per day. I have an open food diary if anyone wants to take a look.

Oppps, just saw where you posted your not diabetic. Still, you may like what my diary shows to help you with your restrictions. I feel your on the right path. you are trying this for 2 weeks. and your here on MFP. That is a foot in the right direction. If you find the restrictions too hard for the 2 weeks, you should talk to your dr and let him/her know, Maybe they will let you add a bit more to the diet plan to get you started. (I do agree there is a carb addiction, and for him to say low carbs, I get the impression it is to break you of that addiction. (some people it takes 3 weeks, but most in 2 weeks find they don't crave the "bad" carbs like they use to and actually start to look forward to eating fruits instead, or some veggies.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I can oversimplify what your doctor wants you to do. It addresses the "reset" from "addictive foods" and will likely create a deficit: Season and cook your own meat (anything from the protein family) and vegetables; drink water and if you need something sweet, take a shot of pickle juice. Do it for 2 weeks.

If it sounds like woo and *kitten* juice, you're right. It's a high protein/low carb diet. It's the exact opposite of what you've stated that you're prone to eating now. It's also super simple and limits any real variety. It's also satiating. Generally, most women don't eat enough protein and crave carbs. That's fine if you had a satiety limit, but for those that don't, they screw up their hormone response anyway, even with the carbs because hyperpalatable foods were designed to make you eat more of them.

Take the good stuff away, and you're left with protein and veggies/fruit. Magically that's the science of every freaking diet in existence. Reduce/cut out the hyperpalatable refined food sources as a majority of the diet AKA increase the nutrient density = weight loss happens, general health markers get better, mood stability hopefully occurs, etc.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    the thing is when dieting to bring cholesterol down 2 weeks is not enough, you should be retested at least 3 months from now if they are truly worried. and you cannot reset your body or detox it from anything it doesnt already detox naturally on its own. cholesterol numbers can also raise when cutting carbs at first as well. when you lose weight it can raise for a short time as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    180 degree approaches rarely work because the stipulation is that you quit everything you like to ZERO. It's rare that this switch is a life or death situation.
    It's like going to the gym. If you've been sedentary your whole life, then all of a sudden go to the gym and do everything, you'd hate it and likely not go back. But if you EASED into it and learned the basics and went from there progressively, you're more likely to learn more and adapt faster.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Dozer8814
    Again, I truly thank all of you for the advice! I can't say this is a 2 week diet to magically change my health. It's a two week diet to kick me of my cravings! I still eat the junk! Just not as much as I used to! I have started eating a TON of proteins and veggies and less candy and junk. I feel better so far and I am on my 5th day of ZERO caffeine! I am proud of myself and even if I haven't lost any weight, I feel great. I've eaten a lot of nuts, meat, and veggies just this last week and can feel a difference in my body. Basically what we want to achieve is to lose weight and feel better. But feeling better is number one to me. If I want a candy bar, I'll eat a flippin candy bar! You guys have inspired me to eat what I want... Just to be careful with it. My addictions were soda and starbucks venti caramel hazelnut frapps. ALL FAT! Without those, I should lose a bit of weight in itself. :) Again, Thank you guys! If you want to add me and let me know how my diary looks everyday I would appreciate that as well!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Again, I truly thank all of you for the advice! I can't say this is a 2 week diet to magically change my health. It's a two week diet to kick me of my cravings! I still eat the junk! Just not as much as I used to! I have started eating a TON of proteins and veggies and less candy and junk. I feel better so far and I am on my 5th day of ZERO caffeine! I am proud of myself and even if I haven't lost any weight, I feel great. I've eaten a lot of nuts, meat, and veggies just this last week and can feel a difference in my body. Basically what we want to achieve is to lose weight and feel better. But feeling better is number one to me. If I want a candy bar, I'll eat a flippin candy bar! You guys have inspired me to eat what I want... Just to be careful with it. My addictions were soda and starbucks venti caramel hazelnut frapps. ALL FAT! Without those, I should lose a bit of weight in itself. :) Again, Thank you guys! If you want to add me and let me know how my diary looks everyday I would appreciate that as well!

fat doesnt cause you to become fat or to not lose weight. you need some fat for hormones to function properly and to help digest certain vitamins and minerals. but cutting those things out can help with a calorie deficit if you werent in one before or they were putting you over your calories
  • Dozer8814

fat doesnt cause you to become fat or to not lose weight. you need some fat for hormones to function properly and to help digest certain vitamins and minerals. but cutting those things out can help with a calorie deficit if you werent in one before or they were putting you over your calories

The coffee alone was over 600 calories... :(
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

The coffee alone was over 600 calories... :(

then make those a treat say once a month. if the 600 calories put you over mainteanance then yes cutting it out would help.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

I found if one can go very low carb for two weeks then one should be able to do it for a lifetime if they wish.

The first two weeks was hard for me to power through being a power carb abuser and at the age of 63.

Keep in mind in my case it was day 45 of LCHF before I lost the first pound of weight.

Some strong carb addicts may give up and go back on carbs in a major way but I found it was worth the risk in my case.

Low Carb fixing my 30 years of IBS in the first 180 days was an awesome side effect as is the reversing of my cataracts. When I focused only on improving my general health the weight loss was automatically without thought to counting and measuring. I found over the prior 40 years I could lose weight thinking about CICO but at some point I would stop thinking about CICO/calorie counting and have a 100%+ weight gain over and over.

Finding a Way Of Eating that cut out all of my carb cravings and over eating. Best of success in finding your WOE that does this for you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

I found if one can go very low carb for two weeks then one should be able to do it for a lifetime if they wish.

The first two weeks was hard for me to power through being a power carb abuser and at the age of 63.

Keep in mind in my case it was day 45 of LCHF before I lost the first pound of weight.

Some strong carb addicts may give up and go back on carbs in a major way but I found it was worth the risk in my case.

Low Carb fixing my 30 years of IBS in the first 180 days was an awesome side effect as is the reversing of my cataracts. When I focused only on improving my general health the weight loss was automatically without thought to counting and measuring. I found over the prior 40 years I could lose weight thinking about CICO but at some point I would stop thinking about CICO/calorie counting and have a 100%+ weight gain over and over.

Finding a Way Of Eating that cut out all of my carb cravings and over eating. Best of success in finding your WOE that does this for you.

I did it for 2 months and couldnt sustain it. I also did it again a lmost a month ago and couldnt even last 2 weeks. lol