Treadmill Running: how to not get bored?

I have a question for those of you who are doing your running on a treadmill instead of outside:

What do you do to keep from getting bored?

I set my treadmill up in the living room because that's the only place where there is room for it in my apartment. I have a "view" of the TV, a DVD bookcase, my wife's collectibles case, the coffee table, the side table, the clock, and some wall hangings. I've already counted all the DVD's a few times, looked at the collectibles time and time again, stared at the painting ahead of me, tried watching TV (when there are people moving on the TV it throws my pace off and I try moving with them, not good!), etc.

I'm up to 30+ minutes of running straight, and find myself getting bored after about 15 minutes. I have some "motivational" things taped to my treadmill control panel, and I look down at it many times during my runs, but that's still not enough. I can't close my eyes and concentrate more on my breathing and footfalls, or I'll run right off the treadmill. LOL.

So, what do you do to keep from getting too bored on a treadmill? And don't say "run outside instead" because that's an obvious answer. I'm asking for those who want to (or need to) use a treadmill for whatever reason.

Thanks!

Replies

• amyd03
    amyd03 Posts: 129 Member
    bump would like to know as well
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I only run for tops 20 minutes 2x a week. I do HIIT - which is 2 minutes 4.0, 1 minute 8.0, repeat until you get to 20 minutes. It gives you an amazing workout and you're not bored...you're too busy recovering from the 1 minute sprint to be bored...and it goes by fast and has been proven more effective than steady state running!

P.S. That is the only cardio I do at all.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    this is what I do. I also get bored after a certain period.

http://images.teamsugar.com/static/imgs/fit_treadmillworkout_final.pdf
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    I started taking my Kindle to the gym with me to read. Or, watch tv. I watch my recorded shows after my hubby goes to sleep, and while I watch them I do crunches and push ups. :bigsmile:
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    To be honest, I live inside my head more often than anywhere else. So it's not hard for me to just be on a treadmill for days and work up an entire Oscars acceptance speech as well cure cancer, feed the poor, star in an action film and knock out Jillian Michaels.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    I don't often run on a treadmill, but for any stationary machine exercise, here's what I do:
    ~ pop in an action DVD. During the fight scenes, I floor it and increase my speed as much as possible. I slow down for the talking scenes, and go at a moderate pace for music montages.
    ~ Have a music playlist and pace yourself to the beat of the music as it changes.
    Those are my only ideas at the moment. I particularly like watcing tv/movies while exercising because the time flies by. I've done 1.5 hours on an elliptical while watching Harry Potter :P
  • 1derwhy
    1derwhy Posts: 23 Member
    Granted, I'm walking, but I also walk on the treadmill from 45 minutes to an hour. Boredom IS an issue. I prop my iPad up on the treadmill and fire up an episode of some fun TV show. I use Netflix streaming instantly, and I usually have good luck with it - every now and then the streaming will stop or stutter, but I deal. The time really goes by when I'm watching something!

Since you're in view of your TV, maybe you could get some DVDs of shows or movies that you like, to watch while you run?
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    I want to follow this thread also....
  • Gessa007
    Gessa007 Posts: 50
    Music...music helps. Reading helps if im walking but I cant run and read at the same time obviously. Since your in the living room Id turn on the TV.
  • I used to do interval training when on a treadmill. Run at a set pace for 5 mins then either lower or higher the pace for another 5 mins and then after 5 mins set another pace. It's a great workout and it also works your heart better because it doesn't know whats coming next and how hard it's going to have to pump the blood around. Time also goes a lot faster and before you know it, time's up x
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    knock out Jillian Michaels.

You are my hero.

I usually run inside because I find the treadmill too boring, but when I am doing an intervals day, I use the treadmill. Do intervals - you can't focus on anything else except the run.
  • I don't often run on a treadmill, but for any stationary machine exercise, here's what I do:
    ~ pop in an action DVD. During the fight scenes, I floor it and increase my speed as much as possible. I slow down for the talking scenes, and go at a moderate pace for music montages.
    ~ Have a music playlist and pace yourself to the beat of the music as it changes.
    Those are my only ideas at the moment. I particularly like watcing tv/movies while exercising because the time flies by. I've done 1.5 hours on an elliptical while watching Harry Potter :P

This is what I do to an extent, minus going to the rhythm of the scenes....and I love watching movies! (I love harry potter btw)
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    I'm walking, not running, but I usually listen to music or watch whatever news channel they have on at the gym. It can get extremely repetitive, but it is what you make of it. Usually I just keep telling myself that I will look and feel better and that helps me. You could try reading, but if you're running fast it could make things difficult. Good luck!
  • TazzyDB
    TazzyDB Posts: 224
    I am learning Spanish while I am on the treadmill. Gives me a lot to think about while I am burning calories!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    my best advice is: run outside.
    seriously.
    i did the entire c25k program on the treadmill & was bored as sin
    i got over my fears of running in public (SO glad for that) because now i LOVE running outside. Treadmill time DRAGS ON AND ON, outside it goes so quickly, and feels much better.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I tend to think a lot when I am running....this can be good or bad depending on what I am thinking about (something I am excited about vs. mulling over an argument with someone for example). Do you listen to music? I have my Ipod but I also have a "running" playlist. Certain songs get me really pumped up and I feel great, even though I'm not a great runner.

Do you have access to a gym? I know you probably spent good money on your home treadmill, but sometimes I just need to be with other people. Running with my Ipod and people watching definitely makes the time go quicker. I still love my home treadmill and it's great when it's raining/when I don't feel like going out/or in the future when I have little ones, but changing it up and going to the gym sometimes also breaks the monotony.
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Maybe make a super good play list. Blast it super loud (make sure most people in your building are at work haha) and sing along. Most songs are only about 4 minutes long so maybe that will readjust your add ever 4 minutes or so.., You could also try and do your playlist with a mixture of long and short songs. Challenge yourself to running faster on one set up songs. Try doing intervals. Also, maybe try a book on tape if it's hard for you to read while running? I haven't done that but I've heard some people can get lost in the story....
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Audiobooks or interesting podcasts... I can't listen to them if I'm doing intervals but for steady running, they keep me good company.
  • sasham100
    sasham100 Posts: 24 Member
    Intervals are the way to go. I typically do a 5 minute walking warm-up with the incline turned way up (12.0 for me) and then 1 minute intervals of a slower speed followed by a faster speed. For me, that is 5.7 and 7.0 mph. I try to do 10 repeats of each for a total of 20 minutes. The time goes by quickly, since during the fast intervals you are simply trying to get through and during the slower intervals you are focused on catching your breathe and preparing for the next sprint. I don't even need music, since I'm so focusing on GETTING THRU the workout.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    http://www.spinervals.com/products/department10.cfm

I use & love his Spinerval DVD's for my bike trainer. He really is a great coach. I would love to get these DVD's, but that would mean I would have to get a treadmill & THAT would mean I would have to use it. LOL. Just don't need an expensive clothes rack. Haha!

I HAVE to run outdoors. Good luck!