Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    The interesting thing about this is that he now thinks 1 day isn't enough for most people (I think RFL/PSMF is a bit different but if you know what that is then you know, you know?) and this concept of having one refeed a week is pretty pointless in terms of restoring leptin levels to their optimum. You need to overfeed for longer and it has to be very carb heavy. Or in terms of a full diet break then, again, it has to be at least a week and include significant increase of carbs.

But I again admit I haven't yet listened to all of it.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    O/T slightly but I just re-introduced baby new potatoes into my diet and they are yummy

been eating organic brown rice as my main carb source for weeks

damm that was good

Any specific reason for the brown rice? It's actually not that much different from white rice nutrition wise.

fills me up better than white rice and is slower to digest

The quantity of white rice I can have with a meal is just not worth it bulk wise
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Noobish question, are refeeds only for low-carb dieters? I've mostly seen them in the context of keto/low-carb diets.

What they said!!

My take from the podcast is that refeeds are beneficial for everyone, not just those already lean or doing competition stuff, but they become increasingly important the leaner you get.

I really, really want him to finish his new book for women.

Yes, that's what I meant but didn't put it too well. There can be some benefit for pretty much anyone, but they become pretty important when you're lean already and trying to get that extra bit.

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant, just clarifying for anyone who may read and think 'oh, I don't have to worry about that yet'. I think both refeeds and diet breaks should be incorporated by everyone from early on.

Lyle does make the point that those first four to six weeks at a deficit for a lot of people (esp long term overweight) may need to be pretty tunnel vision deficit, 'healthy' foods, because they're resetting taste buds and solidifying new behaviours.
  • Nony_Mouse
    The interesting thing about this is that he now thinks 1 day isn't enough for most people (I think RFL/PSMF is a bit different but if you know what that is then you know, you know?) and this concept of having one refeed a week is pretty pointless in terms of restoring leptin levels to their optimum. You need to overfeed for longer and it has to be very carb heavy. Or in terms of a full diet break then, again, it has to be at least a week and include significant increase of carbs.

But I again admit I haven't yet listened to all of it.

Yep, that's pretty much what I got from watching the whole thing. A one day refeed may help psychologically, but it does squat all to leptin (actually, nothing). Two days seems to do the trick, three is probably even better, but then you are getting into either having to have a huge deficit on your other days, or tiny, tiny weight loss.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    Only got through about 1/2 so far but this ties in with the MATADOR Study, his article on Full Diet Breaks and his diets like UD2. I agree that he is saying that 1 day refeeds aren't enough and in the Diet Break article, he talks about the adaptions not normalizing till the 10 day to 2 week point.
  • Nony_Mouse
    mmapags wrote: »
    Only got through about 1/2 so far but this ties in with the MATADOR Study, his article on Full Diet Breaks and his diets like UD2. I agree that he is saying that 1 day refeeds aren't enough and in the Diet Break article, he talks about the adaptions not normalizing till the 10 day to 2 week point.

Yes, my understanding is that the refeeds will bring leptin back up, but the adaptations are still happening over time, they just take longer.
  • Rickster1967

Yes, my understanding is that the refeeds will bring leptin back up, but the adaptations are still happening over time, they just take longer.

remind me why we need leptin back up? thx
  • Rickster1967

remind me why we need leptin back up? thx

Leptin is the hunger/satiety hormone, when it drops, you feel hungrier (your body
    s way of telling you you need to look for food). It also drives the other hormones that get out of whack when we diet, primarily thyroid and cortisol (thyroid goes down, cortisol goes up). Both leptin and thyroid are sensitive to carbohydrate intake, hence the need to increase carbs on refeeds/diet breaks. Lyle has a six part (!!) article all about leptin (which I haven't read). Here's the link to part one: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-1.html/

right yes, thanks

I haven't got hungry yet but I am eating 2000 cals of nutrient dense food every day. PT said 'it will take a fair while yet for your leptin level to drop'

I didn't understand that at the time, been a few weeks since then but still no noticeable increase in hunger. Often I am eating my final 300 cals of the day when not at all hungry but been told not to skip it.

I was BMI 50+12 weeks ago coming off fast food addiction. Probably why I still don't feel hungry yet.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    save to watch video later.