October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    @ariceroni congrats on a great Chicago marathon! Great summary and photos - glad you had a wonderful experience.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @amymoreorless awesome pictures, looks like a fabulous day to pay hooky! Sweet pup!
    @elise4270 I'm always looking at the weirdest thing in people's pictures

That IS one wierd thing he's after :tongue:

ha ha for sure!
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    October 1 - 16 km
    October 2 - 16 km
    October 3 - 16 km
    October 4 - 16 km
    October 5 - 16 km
    October 6 - 16 km
    October 7 - rest day
    October 8 - 21 km
    October 9 - 16 km
    October 10 - 16 km
    October 11 - 16 km

Total km - 165 km out of 350 km

Horrible out running this morning gusts of wind all over the place and rain as well. Not pleasant :-(
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @ariceroni YAY!!! YOUSA SUPER STAR NOW!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2017
    garygse wrote: »
    I guess I should also put in my miles for the month so far. :smile:

02 - 5.26
    03 - 4.06
    04 - 4.07
    06 - 2.80
    07 - 2.01
    08 - 26.21

Total: 40.41 / 100 miles

Just read your marathon report @garygse A big congratulations. 9 minutes ahead of your goal is AWESOME!!!!!!
  • Stoshew71
    edited October 2017
    @ariceroni Congratulations on your marathon finish as well, beating even your stretch goal. AWESOME!!!

@kristinegift Sorry that you weren't able to race.
  • Stoshew71
    @ariceroni Congrats and super pictures. I'm off to read your longer report. BTW I had to giggle at the guy behind you in the medal photo, he looks to be in a bit of pain.

I don't know who looks more in pain, that guy or a Giants fan after this weekend.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Man y'all were really slacking last week. Its like all of you tapered at once! :smiley:

0zjia53kba2j.png

Jeez, I guess I was taking it easy.....
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @PastorVincent I was laughing at your comment so went to update my runs and OMG everyone is slacking! I'm never this high on the board ha ha

sfv557mmzqds.jpg

@Stoshew71 Amen to that.
  • PastorVincent
    OKAY SMART RUNNER TYPES

I can run my desired Marathon Pace for 7 or 8 miles. I can run much slower for 15-20 miles without a rest day. My Marathon is not until May. I have a few good weeks of Fall coming soon (I hope), but then Pittsburgh winter will hit. I plan to keep pushing for endurance (distance) while the weather lets me get outside.

SO, once weather hits and I am forced onto the dreadmill, how do I keep improving? Running 4 hours on the dreadmill at work is not an option. Hour is about the limit.

So what do I do? :smiley:

• PastorVincent
    Run outside all winter

HA! I plan to run as long as I can take it. I think last year I got to single digits air temp, not counting wind.
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    edited October 2017
    Did anyone else start out like me - super slow, can barely hang on - and improve?

I believe everyone, without exception, started slow - some might be too old to remember now, but I can assure you, everyone starts out slow. In my case, I can definitely still remember my first attempts to "jog", and despite having cycled and played some other sports, I had no running endurance whatsoever. It was painful, and I definitely did not last one mile.

If others in your family are "runners", you very likely have what it takes, too. My parents have started running just a few years ago as well, and my dad now puts me to shame (he started at 60, and at 67, he is running 48 minute 10ks)... so it's never too late to start either :)
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    Those of you running quite high mileages, if you aren't preparing for a particular race, do you still follow some kind of training plan, or how do you decide how far / how fast to run each day?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    Hey all - I am way behind on posts (as usual)...
    I do want to congratulate @garygse and @ariceroni on the awesome marathon runs!! You guys really smashed it! Also congratulations to anyone else racing last weekend if I missed your post/report!

I haven't run now since Saturday... I took Sunday completely off, we didn't end up even going to the dog beach as planned. We just hung out, watched football and did laundry and stuff that needed to be done around the house. It was also very hot, similar to Saturday and didn't cool off as expected. So Monday I got dragged into meetings and discussions early (I was all dressed to head out for a run) so at the last possible moment I was going to go even though it was hot, but I happened to look out the back door and the sky was black and red and smelled of smoke. I then spent most of the rest of the day watching the reports on the wild fire evacuation areas and where the fires were progressing. Wow they moved so fast! Our house was not in danger but my BIL's house burned to the ground a few years ago in a similar fire, we have lots of friends in the areas and much of it is part of our local community. 2 of my favorite regional parks were hit, one completely destroyed and so many neighborhoods are still evacuated. The smoke and ash has been terrible so we are told to stay inside with our air conditioners on. My regular gym is in the evacuation zone so no training but this afternoon I am going to the gym up the street just to run on the treadmill... I really need to get in a little interval run or something in and that is the only way I will get it done.
    I have to say all in all, we were pretty lucky here as it could have been so much worse, especially when you look at how No CA has been hit in Santa Rosa and throughout the Napa Valley, so many homes and lives lost there!
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Oct. 10 - 4.9km
    MTD - 35.4km/100km

So I did not make up for not running yesterday... Oh well there is always tomorrow.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Run outside all winter

HA! I plan to run as long as I can take it. I think last year I got to single digits air temp, not counting wind.

If there isn't a - in front of the temp, keep running outside... or even if it is single digits.... below 0f....
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Those of you running quite high mileages, if you aren't preparing for a particular race, do you still follow some kind of training plan, or how do you decide how far / how fast to run each day?

I figure I might fall into the category of "quite high mileage" :D . I am less than a week out from a 50 miler but the plan for my off season is to maintain 20k or so a day Tuesday-Friday, long run 40k+ Saturday, secondary long run between 30-35. Once I get closer to the on season again (January or so against an invitation only race in April) I'll start back into programming for 100 miles.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    edited October 2017
    Congrats @ariceron and @garygse on surpassing your goals for your marathons Great accomplishments.

@PastorVincent Wish you would have slacked off a little, and I could have finished first. LOL. Don't see myself getting that many miles again until after my HM in Nov. since I will only be doing one double digit run a week until I start to taper in a few weeks.

Oct goal 120 miles
    Oct 1.......11 miles.......MTD 11
    Oct 2.......11 miles.......MTD 22
    Oct 3.....,,10 miles.......MTD 32
    Oct 4........6 miles........MTD 38
    Oct 5........0 miles........MTD 38.
    Oct 6........5 miles........MTD 43
    Oct 7........13.1 miles...MTD 56.1
    Oct 8........11 miles......MTD 67.1
    Oct 9.........3.1 ez m.....MTD 70.1

Upcoming races
    Oct 14 Chick-Fil-A 5K in Sanford NC. Small town 5K with bonus that each AG winner gets free chicken meal weekly for a year. Competitor list is small right now at 63 and only 5 in my old fart age group, so definite incentive to run fast and give it everything I have.

Nov 18 Turkey Trot HM in Pinehurst NC. My first HM.

Stay safe and hydrated everyone.