Just an update

NIce work!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Only got through about 1/2 so far but this ties in with the MATADOR Study, his article on Full Diet Breaks and his diets like UD2. I agree that he is saying that 1 day refeeds aren't enough and in the Diet Break article, he talks about the adaptions not normalizing till the 10 day to 2 week point.

Yes, my understanding is that the refeeds will bring leptin back up, but the adaptations are still happening over time, they just take longer.

remind me why we need leptin back up? thx

Leptin is the hunger/satiety hormone, when it drops, you feel hungrier (your body
    s way of telling you you need to look for food). It also drives the other hormones that get out of whack when we diet, primarily thyroid and cortisol (thyroid goes down, cortisol goes up). Both leptin and thyroid are sensitive to carbohydrate intake, hence the need to increase carbs on refeeds/diet breaks. Lyle has a six part (!!) article all about leptin (which I haven't read). Here's the link to part one: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-1.html/

right yes, thanks

I haven't got hungry yet but I am eating 2000 cals of nutrient dense food every day. PT said 'it will take a fair while yet for your leptin level to drop'

I didn't understand that at the time, been a few weeks since then but still no noticeable increase in hunger. Often I am eating my final 300 cals of the day when not at all hungry but been told not to skip it.

I was BMI 50+12 weeks ago coming off fast food addiction. Probably why I still don't feel hungry yet.

Being at a BMI of 50+ previously, your body can afford the deficit without much noticeable change in leptin signaling. Basically, you have enough stored energy to keep your body perceiving that there is enough energy substrate to produce leptin.

As you get leaner, the metabolic adaptations are much more pronounced and it's when structured refeed frequency, if any is needed at that time, become much more necessary to allow for continued fat loss if that is your goal.

In context, if you're not feeling the negative effects of calorie reduction yet, you're in a much more optimal state of weight and fat loss, since the psychological drive for cravings haven't occurred, which is the premise of restoring leptin signaling, just to mitigate those perceived negative adaptations.

Thanks!

I've read a whole load of the guy in the videos' website now and it all makes so much sense

My trainer says it will be another 60lbs or so before I really start to get hungry at which point he'll give me re-feed instructions. I may even suggest to him the full 'diet break' that is spoken about.

This information fills me with confidence as understanding the process makes it much easier to comply with the requirements. Logging on the app daily really helps too, just completing the day is all it takes

Knowledge is power ;) and good work on the weight loss!!

• cefleischman
    cefleischman Posts: 46 Member
    Thanks for posting this! I haven't watched the video yet and I don't know if this was discussed, but on the two days where you "re-feed" and increase your calories and carbs, is there a consensus on what should be consumed? Like does the person in the video advocate nutrient dense carbs ("healthy" food) or whatever the person wants, like pizza and donuts? Just curious if the person in the video had a recommendation for food during re-feed days or if it was personal preference?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Thanks for posting this! I haven't watched the video yet and I don't know if this was discussed, but on the two days where you "re-feed" and increase your calories and carbs, is there a consensus on what should be consumed? Like does the person in the video advocate nutrient dense carbs ("healthy" food) or whatever the person wants, like pizza and donuts? Just curious if the person in the video had a recommendation for food during re-feed days or if it was personal preference?

For a refeed, it's a bit more specific than for a diet break (in which the main thing is eat at maintenance and make sure your carbs are at least 100-150g). The refeed should be carb heavy, but not high on fats (not low either, he doesn't specify exactly, but I'm guessing about 0.4g of fat per lb of body weight based on what he says, which is still within the recommended minimum intake). So alas, I can't default to pizza to get my carbs up for refeed because it will put me over on fat. Aside from that, it's personal preference. But watch the video.
  • cefleischman
    cefleischman Posts: 46 Member
    Thank you for all of the info!!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

I tend to generalize a lot of my responses, but you're welcome @Nony_Mouse

I have the tendency to get up my own hole regarding being neurotic about the nuances of stuff like fluctuations, macros, micros, labs, etc., so it becomes a reminder if I express to everyone else that being on my level of insanity isn't recommended haha. Cheers!