Only Lost 30 Pounds In 1 Year

Well, I lied. It took me a full year to lose 27 pounds.

I am 23, 5'5, and started out at 204 pounds. I have been counting calories (1700) and working out 5 days a week (2 days weightlifting, 3 days cardio). I'll admit I fell off the wagon quite a few times at the beginning, but never for longer than a week. I've figured out that I've averaged about .5 pounds a week, which seems quite small...

Seeing the scale move SOOOO SLOWLYYYY is a bit discouraging when it seems to take 6 months for other people to lose 100 pounds or whatever. I'm happy that I am still losing, but I just wish that it was more in line with other people. I feel like when I get closer to my goal weight my weightloss will stall even more, making it almost impossible to make that little number budge. I guess I don't really have a question, just came to b*tch and moan :D

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    be proud of what you HAVE achieved - it is awesome-
  • cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    Have you updated your goals on here? Once you put in your current weight will change your recommended intake from what they recommended 30 lbs ago.
  • KayTeeOne
    KayTeeOne Posts: 123 Member
    That is not only... that’s awesome! Well done keep going and you will reach your goal...remember slow and steady wins the race so keep going. Feel free to add me I’m 25 and 5’5” trying to lose 25 lbs
  • ilovemyfreckles
    ilovemyfreckles Posts: 8 Member
    Have you updated your goals on here? Once you put in your current weight will change your recommended intake from what they recommended 30 lbs ago.

I actually haven't, I should have thought of that! Will go update now and see what the new recommendation is
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You don't have 100 pounds to lose. Someone who does will lose a lot faster than someone who has 30 or 50 to lose. I lost 100 pounds in 14 months, but it took another 14 to lose the last 50. And I never "fell off the wagon." Those choices to go off your plan can definitely add up and slow down your progress. 27 is great progress for a year and it would make no sense to stop now just because someone else lost faster than you. Congrats!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Did your arms always look like that??? Even though 27 pounds doesn't seem like a great deal it really is. Yes, you could have gained, you could have stayed the same but YOU LOST 27 POUNDS :) I think you should take measurements and pictures and use those for comparison. I know its hard and frustrating when we have a number in our head that we really want to see on that scale but the reality is our bodies don't always cooperate. I lost most of my goal weight, looked ill, regrouped and started strength training with some unintentional weight gain but my measurements changed (my scale is on probation at this time) some bigger some smaller so things are happening. Congrats on the hard work.
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    I've lost 27 pounds since Jan. 1. While I sometimes wish it was more, I also think that losing slowly is giving me good tools to prepare for maintenance.

I'm in this for the long haul, and I'm not punishing myself on the way. So, yay, we're down 27 pounds!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Hooray!
    It took me a year to lose 30lbs too.
    It was slow, but it has stayed off since Christmas 2009.
    You are learning habits that will last you a lifetime. :)

Cheers, h.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    I've lost about 25lbs over 3 years. But I went from a tight size 16 to a size 9/10 and at one point a 7/8.

I focused more on getting in shape and lost inches but not so much weight. Now I'm actively trying to lose weight and its frustrating. But measured my inches after 3 weeks and I've lost 3 inches off my midsection, haven't lost any weight.

I know it's frustrating because I want to see the scale change too, but taking other kinds of measurements is a good idea. If I hadn't measured my inches I would be thinking all this is for nothing
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Congratulations! 30 lbs is a lot, more than 2 stone! A lot of people never even loose that, even with glitches you are going in the right direction.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    When I llost my 50lbs in 2011, it took about 9 months for me to drop 20lbs. I didn't count calories, I didn't weigh food, I just started working on my habits. After switching to diet coke, cutting out fried foods, not eating on the couch, etc, I SLOW lost weight. Without really thinking about it.

When I got to that point, though, the weight slowed down and I wasn't done yet, so I needed to do something about it. I started logging food, and exercising more and the other 30 dropped off.

30lbs is better than where you were (I started close to there myself at 193). Trust me 173 felt really good compare to that and I'm sure you feel like a different person at 163.

Keep up the good work and don't get frusterated that it's slow. Why the rush?
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    ilovemyfreckles : I hear you. Everyone is right, but I know the it can seem SO slow when you want the fat gone YESTERDAY!!!!! See, we're not mindful of our bad habits that got the fat on,but we're mindful of our improved habit to get the fat off, then we start watching the mirrors and scales like a clock. Try to refocus on the other improvements you've made thus far and enjoy life!