Does your spouse enable you?

Hi, I'm new to the site and I hope I can get the support I need to help me get healthy and loose the weight I need to do so...the problem is that my husband is very accommodating and makes it almost impossible for me to reach my goals. When I was single I had strong will power but now if I want to cheat on my diet he's right there to indulge me. Help! any ideas?

Replies

• Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Be strong and log your calories and exercise. He will have to find some other way to spoil you. I ask for foot massages. W me, it’s alcohol. I’m not an alcoholic, but I try to cut back and my boyfriend wants to make me happy, so he gets me wine.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Have you tried asking your other half to support you and not enable your cheating? He sounds like he wants you to be happy if he wants you to eat what you want but maybe let him know you would be happy he could help you out?
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    This can be tough, but I agree with the other previous postings. Also, once he sees that YOU are serious about a change in your 'diet', he will 'get it'. It takes a while for our families and support systems to see that we are making a permanent and long term change in our lifestyles. If you continue to indulge, he will likely continue to accommodate.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    It sounds like you're blaming your husband for your choices. Make your choices and take responsibility for them. You're never going to get anywhere blaming anyone or anything else for what you decide to do.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    ^^ Yup - you can't expect your husband to be your willpower and strength for you. My husband is the same, but I don't expect him to save me from myself. This is on me.
  • Dozer8814
    Dozer8814 Posts: 29 Member
    deedee1077 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to the site and I hope I can get the support I need to help me get healthy and loose the weight I need to do so...the problem is that my husband is very accommodating and makes it almost impossible for me to reach my goals. When I was single I had strong will power but now if I want to cheat on my diet he's right there to indulge me. Help! any ideas?

Hello! Welcome! I was in the same boat for a few years now! Hubby is tall and skinny and can eat anything! I sniff an Oreo and gain 12 lbs! The difference in me now rather than then is that I have the goal and the ambition. Me losing weight is not for him at all. It's for me. He still eats his junk food. But since I have a goal in mind and I know I need to do this for me, I tell myself there's no reason for me to eat that. Put yourself first. Let him enjoy. But you enjoy the healthier side of things. Don't restrict too much because it will be hard to stick to it. But while he's eating a doughnut I eat some peanuts or some fruit. Every now and then I'll even have a bite size candy bar. Or some frozen hot chocolate... he can't force you to eat unhealthy. That's your choice....