Rinsing cottage cheese to reduce sodium

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    If you have it with lots of fresh vegetables, the sodium and potassium balance each other out. There isn't that much sodium in cottage cheese, per serving.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    sodakat wrote: »
    Well, I appreciate the info. For those of us who try to limit sodium this is helpful. Thanks!

55835802.png

Just buy low sodium or no salt added cottage cheese.....larger grocery stores carry this.

Rinsing..........eeeewwww.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Yeah, I'll just stick to buying reduced sodium cottage cheese.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    That is disgusting. Just don't eat cottage cheese.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Just gotta ask.

Who is flagging the posts above? And why?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    So I'm wondering... does everyone use cottage cheese as a savory dish? Because low/no salt would work really well for how I like mine - with just some preserves.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    shartran wrote: »
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6833685

Rinsing cottage cheese reduces the sodium by 60-80 percent!

"The sodium content of water-rinsed canned green beans, tuna, and cottage cheese was analyzed. A 3-minute rinse of tuna and cottage cheese resulted in sodium reductions of 80% and 63%, respectively, with no significant effect on iron content.Calcium was reduced by approximately 50%. Although rinsing had a minimal effect on the sodium in canned beans, replacing the canning brine with water before heating lowered salt content by 33%. This study shows that the simple and economical methods of water rinsing of tuna and cottage cheese and of heating green beans in tap water markedly lowered salt content."

Interesting. But I'd want the calcium more than less salt.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    shartran wrote: »
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6833685

Rinsing cottage cheese reduces the sodium by 60-80 percent!

"The sodium content of water-rinsed canned green beans, tuna, and cottage cheese was analyzed. A 3-minute rinse of tuna and cottage cheese resulted in sodium reductions of 80% and 63%, respectively, with no significant effect on iron content.Calcium was reduced by approximately 50%. Although rinsing had a minimal effect on the sodium in canned beans, replacing the canning brine with water before heating lowered salt content by 33%. This study shows that the simple and economical methods of water rinsing of tuna and cottage cheese and of heating green beans in tap water markedly lowered salt content."

Interesting. But I'd want the calcium more than less salt.

Same.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Just gotta ask.

It was two years ago.....

Ahhhh, sucked in by the zombie thread! LOL

5pdl1ff20jxn.jpg
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I wouldn't rinse cottage cheese, but I do rinse canned beans, even low sodium ones. It does reduce the sodium content quite a bit.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Just gotta ask.

It was two years ago.....

Wow.

I'm usually good at seeing this and missed it completely.

K, call me a dumbass
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Still wanna know who was flagging the posts - and why... Very mysterious.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I wouldn't rinse cottage cheese, but I do rinse canned beans, even low sodium ones. It does reduce the sodium content quite a bit.

By how much, and how do you log it?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Still wanna know who was flagging the posts - and why... Very mysterious.

some strange puppies on these boards at times.

Haha so true!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Zombie thread for something soooo disgusting! Is it for Friday the 13th? Ewwww.... don't wash your cottage cheese :#
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    If you are that concerned with sodium, just make the cottage cheese yourself. It's milk and vinegar.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I guess I just like gross stuff XD but I prefer the whey strained out of the curds and the curds rinsed off and let to dry a bit. And if I do it myself I can get it the way I like.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I just buy no salt added cottage cheese.

I’m just thinking eww at rinsing it.