Does anyone here swim?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Janice6543 wrote: »
    Decent beginner pace is about 2:30 per 100 m interval, including rest. (Front crawl)

Huh. That's exactly what I got yesterday.

that will get you to the swim finish of an ironman with time to spare ;)
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    edited October 2017
    I love to swim. I try to go once a week, usually on a day where my muscles hurt and I need a little break.
    I don't know my long distance times, but I average 35 seconds for 25 metres doing the front crawl or back stroke. 400 meters takes me around 14 minutes. That being said, I only seriously started swimming last year. I had three lessons on technique. So if you're going for speed, lessons are often really cheap and worth it.

My son, who is a serious swimmer does 25 meters in 17 seconds, and can finish a 5km in about an hour.

We do open water swims here in Canada in the lakes. If you aren't into doing an ironman, that might be something to train for. Most people finish a 5km in 45 minutes to 2 hours. Some take a little longer. Either way, it's a great thing to swim for. Just don't try it in the Atlantic. I almost died doing that.
  • deannalfisher
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    I swim 3250m or so every other day. I average about 65 mins per session so about 20mins per km. that’s a swan-like breaststroke
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Decent beginner pace is about 2:30 per 100 m interval, including rest. (Front crawl)

A guy at the bike shop asked me when I'm going to do an Ironman. I'm not much of a runner, though.

I was thinking about doing a Nordic biathlon this winter though to get into the multi-sport thing. But I don't know anything about shooting. Just seems neat, target shooting after a 10k sprint, with time penalties for missed shots.

How far would I have to run?
  • deannalfisher

A guy at the bike shop asked me when I'm going to do an Ironman. I'm not much of a runner, though.

I was thinking about doing a Nordic biathlon this winter though to get into the multi-sport thing. But I don't know anything about shooting. Just seems neat, target shooting after a 10k sprint, with time penalties for missed shots.

How far would I have to run?

neither am I...i'm a decent swimmer and mediocre cyclist/runner

Ironman is a marathon run - but there are shorter triathlons (and the swim times are similar is allowance)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Some friends do sprint triathalons which are about 1/2 mile swim, 15-20 mi bike, 5k run. Some events allow teams with different people doing each leg.
  • NorthCascades
    Different people can do each leg...?

Does everyone bring a time trial bike, or can you be competitive on a road frame?
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    I have done Sprint Tris with my mountain bike. There are even shorter races called "Try a tri" or similar. You don't need to buy any fancy equipment and you can see if you like it.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I have done sprint tris on a mountain bike also. I am not there expecting to win, just finish and try and get a little faster than the last time.
    This year I did my first longer open water swim this year - 1.2 miles. It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but I was slow. I would do it again.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I have done Sprint Tris with my mountain bike. There are even shorter races called "Try a tri" or similar. You don't need to buy any fancy equipment and you can see if you like it.

That's awesome!!

Found out last night I have a torn meniscus in my knee. Won't be running for a bit. Thanks for all the swimming help, though!
  • NorthCascades
    Is the swim portion of these beginner triathlons done in a pool, it is it not happening until late next spring?
  • deannalfisher
    Is the swim portion of these beginner triathlons done in a pool, it is it not happening until late next spring?

some of them are - but surprising not that common (races in the more metro areas may be pool swims)
  • deannalfisher
    if you decide you want to try one...PM me and i'll check out my various resources and see if i can find a good beginner recommendation
  • NorthCascades
    I've been wanting to do something more competitive, and while is have to eat some crow, a tri would force me to focus on my weaknesses. It'd also be more relevant to me than a Nordic biathlon by a lot.

The last time I ran, I was pretty slow (9:30 per mile) and it wasn't after riding hard. How much would I have to improve?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2017
    Different people can do each leg...?

Does everyone bring a time trial bike, or can you be competitive on a road frame?

I think lots of participants use road bikes. My friend has used a hybrid the last 2 years. She feels it slows her down on the flat portions so just got a road bike for next year. She finishes in the middle of her age group nonetheless. You won't win with a slower bike, but unlikely you'll finish last either.

The team format probably varies by event. You might want to check out the Tri-Turtle-Tri Sprint in Seabeck WA mid-Sept.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    I've been wanting to do something more competitive, and while is have to eat some crow, a tri would force me to focus on my weaknesses. It'd also be more relevant to me than a Nordic biathlon by a lot.

The last time I ran, I was pretty slow (9:30 per mile) and it wasn't after riding hard. How much would I have to improve?

I have a couple friends who do sprints, I think they aim for sub 7 minute miles, but they are both strong runners. One of them looked like he was drowning when he first started training for the swim and the other guy is weak on the bike, they are finishing middle of the pack, but they make up ground on the run. They finish middle of the pack, about an hour and a half, the elite athletes are about an hour for the men.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    I have a couple friends who do sprints, I think they aim for sub 7 minute miles, but they are both strong runners. One of them looked like he was drowning when he first started training for the swim

Sprint tri's are not fair to swimmers! If it's a 1/20/5k (swim/ride/run) then the swim could be half the time of the ride or run. I'd prefer 2/20/5k, which would have closer to equal times. They never do that!
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member

I'm a 13-15 minute miler depending on my weight and I do triathlons. You wouldn't need to improve to compete in one because you would be well under the run cutoff times.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    goodkoalie wrote: »
    I have been competitively swimming since 6th grade, so about 8 years now. I would definitely recommend an instructor, as in injuries are pretty common with improper form.

I have never sustained injuries from swimming ever and I have been swimming since I was a baby...