Intermitent Fasting and eating your daily calories

Replies

• maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    IF can make it hard for me to get in all my calories but it works out nicely because on the weekends I want the freedom to eat more. So I don't force it. Then on the weekends when I want that extra snack or a date night meal I don't have to worry about it. If you are way under every day all week it will start having an effect on your energy levels.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    @TavistockToad absolutely on board with what you're saying. That period of time where I was full on about 1000 (meticulously weighed & tracked) cals was pretty short-lived, bc I started working out again and was therefore pretty darn hungry. If I had been experiencing that for longer I would have definitely made adjustments. I am not delusional enough to believe I got to my heaviest or healthiest weights while also getting full on 1000 cals.
  • glubben
    glubben Posts: 45 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    glubben wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

I've been doing intermittent fasting for about 4 months now along with tracking my calories. I've had mild success, but not as much as other people(I lose about half a pound a week) one of things I've been doing that I'm not sure about is hitting my daily calorie goal. I try to do it, but I find myself eating a bunch of food at the end of my feeding window trying to hit my calories, even if I'm not hungry. Those of you that have had success, do your hit your calorie goal or just eat till your full?

Thanks,

-Greg

I'm assuming success to you, is losing faster than 1/2 lbs a week.
    Because you are eating all your food in a shorter time period and filling up, you have a few options. Reduce your daily goal so that you don't have to cram food in. Eat less satiating foods so that you don't feel full as quickly, or eat a little more calorie dense foods.

a pound a week would be preferable . I guess my point to all of this is there are a couple schools of thought here. some people think that if you don't eat enough calories a day you will go into starvation mode and stop losing weight. others don't think that's true. All I want to know from people that have done IF successfully is if they had success without eating all of there allotted calories.
  • glubben
    jbvj wrote: »
    I can't lose if I'm over 1600, my goal is supposed to be 2490. Might want to lower your calories

That's kind of what I was thinking. If I'm full and don't go over my calories who cares right?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Don't eat if you're not hungry :)

I set a range for myself each day. (1,000 - 1,200). Some nights I have to add something else to get to that 1,000... some nights I have to say no to something to stay at 1,200.

Why are you eating so little?
  • glubben
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

I've been doing intermittent fasting for about 4 months now along with tracking my calories. I've had mild success, but not as much as other people(I lose about half a pound a week) one of things I've been doing that I'm not sure about is hitting my daily calorie goal. I try to do it, but I find myself eating a bunch of food at the end of my feeding window trying to hit my calories, even if I'm not hungry. Those of you that have had success, do your hit your calorie goal or just eat till your full?

Thanks,

-Greg

Because you are eating all your food in a shorter time period and filling up, you have a few options. Reduce your daily goal so that you don't have to cram food in. Eat less satiating foods so that you don't feel full as quickly, or eat a little more calorie dense foods.

a pound a week would be preferable . I guess my point to all of this is there are a couple schools of thought here. some people think that if you don't eat enough calories a day you will go into starvation mode and stop losing weight. others don't think that's true. All I want to know from people that have done IF successfully is if they had success without eating all of there allotted calories.

Starvation mode as you describe it doesn't exist. Any other school of thought is incorrect.

ETA: A larger deficit = a larger loss, but too large a deficit runs the risk of numerous, bad side effects.

that's kinda where I was going. if I feel good and don't want to eat anymore why should I. like I said a lot of people on these boards think otherwise.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Hey guys and gals,

Thanks,

-Greg

Starvation mode as you describe it doesn't exist. Any other school of thought is incorrect.

ETA: A larger deficit = a larger loss, but too large a deficit runs the risk of numerous, bad side effects.

that's kinda where I was going. if I feel good and don't want to eat anymore why should I. like I said a lot of people on these boards think otherwise.

I do not support or condone chronically not meeting your calorie goal. Many people with weight issues have messed up hunger and satiety signals and find that 'listening to their body' doesn't work. Which is why calorie goals are helpful.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I make sure I eat to my calorie goal (+/- 200) every day...if I miss one day I won't fret, but thyroid issues run in my family so I will not allow more than one day below goal...I don't want to have too steep of a deficit because that increases the risk of setting off thyroid issues in people who have that particular genetic risk. It's not the kind of thing most people have to worry about. Men particularly have a low incidence of thyroid problems.

I don't weigh my food either, I just use cup/tablespoon type estimates so if I'm under or over 200 calories I figure I can chalk that up to less than 100% accurate measurements.

Thus far I have been quite happy with my progress, and I've been IF for I guess about a year at this point.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I set a range for myself each day. (1,000 - 1,200). Some nights I have to add something else to get to that 1,000... some nights I have to say no to something to stay at 1,200.

I'm short and work in an office. I can't lose weight if I eat more than that.

ETA which is annoying because I work 9 hours a day at an office and then leave straight from there to go teach dance for several hours. You'd think I'd be able to eat more and lose weight since at least one of my jobs is active -_-

Have you actually tried eating more for any length of time?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Hey guys and gals,

Thanks,

-Greg

Starvation mode is not this.^ You don't stop losing because of low calories.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again/p1

You can skip eating all your calories if you want to, IF has nothing to do with it. IF is just meal timing and doesn't prevent potential damages from consistent low calories. You will still be at risk for lean muscle loss, hair loss, fatigue, etc.

If you are losing 1/2 pound a week, no worries. That's only a 250 calorie deficit.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited October 2017

ETA which is annoying because I work 9 hours a day at an office and then leave straight from there to go teach dance for several hours. You'd think I'd be able to eat more and lose weight since at least one of my jobs is active -_-

Yes but I'm not willing to do so right now because this is actually working and I don't want to gain the weight back that I've lost.

Over the summer when I wasn't teaching I was able to go to the gym and then I would eat more like 1,350-1,500 and still lose weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Yes but I'm not willing to do so right now because this is actually working and I don't want to gain the weight back that I've lost.

Gaining weight requires a calorie surplus. That's eating more than your maintenance.....not eating more than 1,100 calories.

Seriously if you are gaining at 1300 calories you are eating more than you think. Either that or you are something like 4'8" tall.