Why eating too little calories is a bad idea.....

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Has anyone any advice on meals that keep you feeling fuller for longer to stop snacking between meals. Thank you.

For many, protein and fats help keep them full. But this is pretty much something you have to play with to see what works for you. I find I'm fullest if my meal includes all 3.

Yes. And high volume foods are satiating for some (such as low-cal veggies with lots of fiber), perhaps in combination with fats and/or protein.

Though timing of eating is unimportant to the average person for nutrition or weight loss, it can be important to some for satiation. There are lots of individual variations.

Unless I get a solid breakfast with plenty of protein, I will be crave-y later. Other people do better skipping breakfast entirely for larger meals later, eating 5-6 small meals, or just having one big one. If you experiment, you'll find what works best for you.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I have a question, I'm relatively new on here. Here's my stats. I'm 5'4, I was 158 and now I'm at 138. When does the weight loss kinda come to a halt and you stop losing weight? I feel like I'm at that point and I eat about 1,300 calories a day. I'm a stay at home mom. So I say my life is pretty sedentary, except the few strength training exercises I do which it doesn't say in the app that it doesn't burn any calories. I do 60 sit ups a day, 50 v ups. A minute of side planks( each side), a minute of normal planks, every other day I do leg day 100 squats, and iron titans til my legs can't do it anymore. On tuesdays and Thursday I take my baby for a walk which is gonna have to stop here soon because it's getting cold, and I run on saturdays. My fiancé is active duty in the military and my step son is 6 and my son is 9 months. My fiancé works from about 6am to 8/9pm and I can't take my children to the gym and my fiancé gets home too late to watch the kids while I go for a run or what not.

Is there a mall or other semi-public large indoor space nearby that you could take the baby for a walk? Do you have access to a fitness center or pool (either through the military or your local parks & rec department) that provides on-site childcare while you get in some cardio?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Bump
  • Ssumner2001
    Ssumner2001 Posts: 34 Member
    Check out the Eat More To Weigh Less forums here on MFP or go to the website www.em2wl.com.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    I have a question, I'm relatively new on here. Here's my stats. I'm 5'4, I was 158 and now I'm at 138. When does the weight loss kinda come to a halt and you stop losing weight? I feel like I'm at that point and I eat about 1,300 calories a day. I'm a stay at home mom. So I say my life is pretty sedentary, except the few strength training exercises I do which it doesn't say in the app that it doesn't burn any calories. I do 60 sit ups a day, 50 v ups. A minute of side planks( each side), a minute of normal planks, every other day I do leg day 100 squats, and iron titans til my legs can't do it anymore. On tuesdays and Thursday I take my baby for a walk which is gonna have to stop here soon because it's getting cold, and I run on saturdays. My fiancé is active duty in the military and my step son is 6 and my son is 9 months. My fiancé works from about 6am to 8/9pm and I can't take my children to the gym and my fiancé gets home too late to watch the kids while I go for a run or what not.

Is there a mall or other semi-public large indoor space nearby that you could take the baby for a walk? Do you have access to a fitness center or pool (either through the military or your local parks & rec department) that provides on-site childcare while you get in some cardio?

I used to love doing this when my kids were small. The mall was always open early for walkers and there were more senior walkers than mom's with strollers, but it was a great way to be active. My mall also had kid play areas for my older kids after the walk was done.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    People have some crazy TDEE apparently. I'm 5'10" and mine is only about 1900 to maintain. I'm in a healthy weight range and I lose at about 1500-1600. I go to the gym on occasion but I have no desire to live there (I've done so in the past but I like the life I'm leading at the moment). I don't think I'm all that weird either so the number of posts to short older women about how ridiculous 1200 calories is seems bizarre to me. If I maintain at 1900 and I'm a giant who are these older sedentary women who can eat all the calories? Sorry that was a sidebar:)

Me, for two -- I turn 68 next week, 5'2.5," lost 50 lbs., in maintenance at 128-130 lbs. close to 3 years now. Gym 3 times per week, eating 2,000 + calories to maintain. Without the gym and just staying active with normal old lady stuff I maintain at around 1750ish. If totally sedentary, I'd probably drop down to around 1400ish. 1200? Never.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    @maggibailey, I don't believe I'm an outlier when it comes to maintenance calories. MFP and Scooby both give me around 1450ish for maintenance if sedentary. I would not call myself sedentary either at present. Due to circumstances (husband's recent surgery) I can't get to the gym but I am actively moving around doing old lady stuff because my husband is out of commission right now. However, I have to agree with @tinkerbellang83. Many people on here set way too aggressive weight loss goals and kill themselves exercising trying to manage on 1200 or fewer calories; they can eat more and not just because they're cool.

PS: I entered your mom's stats into Scooby: Maintenance 1456; a 20% reduction, 1165 calories (too aggressive); at a 15% reduction she would eat 1238 calories; a 10% reduction would amount to 1311. Of course one would have to track for several weeks and adjust as needed.

PPS: Congrats on your marriage!

Best regards. . .
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    @maggiebailey, congratulations on your great new marriage. That is a beautiful thing!
    I’m in the honeymoon phase of a 37 year marriage.
    You don’t have to leave his side for long to get a good workout, and you certainly don’t have to go to the gym.
    I’ll say to my husband, I need 30 minutes, and he knows what that means. I go into my office and do 30 minutes of “all out” on whatever I’m doing that day. I give 150%.
    Some days it’s strength training with dumbbells, or body weight circuits, or HIIT circuits. But if you are totally engaged 30 minutes is all you need.
    Not just about weight loss, but keeping muscle, flexibility, mobility, balance and for your heart and organs (not to mention skin & hair).
    He encourages me to do it because he knows it’s good for me.
    I’m 56 years old. 5’ 9” And currently 153 lbs with a goal of 145ish and am losing on 1800-2000 calories a day. Slowly, but surely. Fitbit has my TDEE at between 2200-2400. Oh, and I have a sedentary job, but I’m the trouble sitting still type.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    @maggiebailey, congratulations on your great new marriage. That is a beautiful thing!
    I’m in the honeymoon phase of a 37 year marriage.
    You don’t have to leave his side for long to get a good workout, and you certainly don’t have to go to the gym.
    I’ll say to my husband, I need 30 minutes, and he knows what that means. I go into my office and do 30 minutes of “all out” on whatever I’m doing that day. I give 150%.
    Some days it’s strength training with dumbbells, or body weight circuits, or HIIT circuits. But if you are totally engaged 30 minutes is all you need.
    Not just about weight loss, but keeping muscle, flexibility, mobility, balance and for your heart and organs (not to mention skin & hair).
    He encourages me to do it because he knows it’s good for me.
    I’m 56 years old. 5’ 9” And currently 153 lbs with a goal of 145ish and am losing on 1800-2000 calories a day. Slowly, but surely. Fitbit has my TDEE at between 2200-2400. Oh, and I have a sedentary job, but I’m the trouble sitting still type.

My guy is a trouble sitting still type. I'm almost certain it's the main reason he is so slender. I go through periods of enjoying working out I'm just not in one at the moment. I do a bit of yoga to keep flexible, but I'm disinterested in doing more for now :). I use to be in the gym 6 days a week. Three days of weights and cardio and three days of Pilates or yoga. Honestly though my muscles were a bit bigger and fun to look at I never noticed much difference in the amount of food I could eat... possibly because the added exercise added hunger so it wasn't like a dreamy time of just eating till I was full all the time. I am really not complaining about the amount I get to eat. I'm totally satisfied. After all it's the amount I've been eating plus or minus a couple hundred calories my whole life. I just think that my rather boring, very average under 2000 to maintain TDEE is probably pretty normal for a majority of people. The guy and I do absolutely encourage each other to go enjoy our separate hobbies though. One of the reasons I fell for him was his independent nature after all. exercise just isn't one of them at the moment lol.