Work full time
Single mum
Studying for a degree
Need to do cleaning
Want to watch TV
Too tired
Just eaten
Etc, etc, etc.....

I really want to lose some weight and get fit and healthy...not skinny. I just find it so hard to make my health a priority

Replies

• gita9999
    gita9999 Posts: 8 Member
    exercise in front of the TV?
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    i cant work out independtly so i find fun group classes
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Would love to know how you keep motivated? I find all sorts of excuses:
    Work full time
    Single mum
    Studying for a degree
    Need to do cleaning
    Want to watch TV
    Too tired
    Just eaten
    Etc, etc, etc.....

I really want to lose some weight and get fit and healthy...not skinny. I just find it so hard to make my health a priority

I don't know how you can possibly find time to accurately and honestly log your food in your myfitnesspal food diary, but you must do that.

After you do that for a while, your list above starts looking like
    Work full time
    Single mum
    Studying for degree
    Done cleaning
    Done food prep
    Done exercise
    DOMS good
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    We will always find reasons not to do something we don't generally want to do. Plus doing exercise you don't enjoy makes it that much harder.

Its a part of my day that I must do to get the day started (or for others it might be the end of their day) with me putting myself and health first or yes, higher on the priority list.

Find something you will enjoy doing and maybe create some fitness goals! If it is an important thing you feel you need to be doing, you find a way to alter the schedule work this in.
  • kylepatterson357
    kylepatterson357 Posts: 4 Member
    Instead of prioritising exercise, focus on diet - Try maybe on a sunday meal prepping for the week, with the busy schedule you have the weight should manage to gradually decrease provided you are eating the right things and within your macros. Exercise will help you speed that up and look better and feel better in yourself.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,815 Member
    I love cycling and walking. :) Why wouldn't I want to do those things??
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The reason that long term decisions get shorted out is because of the way we are wired. When stressed we resort to short term thinking.

https://www.riskology.co/bad-decision-predictor/

Three of your big motivators are long term. You are working, you are a mom, and you are studying for a degree. All commendable.

When do you get to relax?

Your stressed out mind is refusing any more noble long term activities and is reaching for the cookie jar.

In the blush of an insane day, we forget that exercise can also be relaxing “me time”. The endorphin rush from a cardio routine, followed by, say, a steaming hot shower, can be wonderful. Not to mention the extra stamina that you gain over the following days.

Here is how you can tuck in exercise in an insane schedule:
    - delegate age appropriate housecleaning to the children
    - Park farther away or get off the bus sooner. Jog to work and classes
    - You can exercise right after eating. Old wives tale

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/activity/the-7-minute-workout
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and realized I had to make myself a priority so that I will be around for my kids and to be active for the rest of my life. I work full time and am working on my master's degree, plus have a busy, active family life and a house to manage....but I wake up early every day to go to the gym. I have my workout buddy and my ear buds for when I run, and I use that time to take care of myself. My house is not always spotless and sometimes dinner is grilled cheese sandwiches, but this is important for my quality of life. I make it happen, because no one else can make it happen for me.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited October 2017
    It took some time, but I had to discover activities I enjoyed and didn't enjoy. I learned that I do better working out on my own, so I built up a nice home gym over the years.

I added in small things like taking the stairs instead of an escalator, parking further away and walking or doing push ups, leg lifts or tricep dips off the couch while watching TV.

With consistency, I started to love my results which made me want to keep going.

That became a habit after awhile and I wanted more so I added in evening power walks too.

I'm always trying something new. These days puppy keeps me busy with his multiple walks and playing around (although I don't count this as exercise).

Basically I plan fitness into my day and get it done. I really wanted a fit body so I know I needed to put in the work to make it happen.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    I do 30 min home-based exercise per day, every day. It's not that much and easy to squeeze into my schedule. It takes a while to develop the notion that NOT working out just wrecks my day and feels crappy. Therefore, it it a priority for me to get in that 30 min.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    3 days a week you don't watch telly, you work out.... if you want to get fit then you make it a priority.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    edited October 2017
    Would love to know how you keep motivated? I find all sorts of excuses:
    Work full time
    Single mum
    Studying for a degree
    Need to do cleaning
    Want to watch TV
    Too tired
    Just eaten
    Etc, etc, etc.....

omsmom12 wrote: »
    I want to get healthy. I'm overweight. I've got high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I'm not that happy with my appearance. But... I'm not that UNhappy with my appearance either. My husband adores me. I don't care that much about what other people think of my appearance anyway these days. In the past, vanity was always a strong motivation. But I've lost that. I just want to do this to be healthy but, when presented with a bowl of ice cream or cookies, I seem to think that my healthy lifestyle can wait one more day. And, as they say, tomorrow never comes. How did anyone with a similar struggle get past this?

Want the food more than the weight loss?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40644201#Comment_40644201

Normally a health scare focuses the mind. In my opinion, don't be a statistic and take responsibility for your health but ultimately its your call. Whatever your approach best of luck. Oh for reference I was one of those that had a health scare before I got my *kitten* together. Enjoy your ice cream and good luck.

^^^ I wrote the above on another thread. My advice is to make health a priority because the opposite is a lot worse. If I'm honest your reasons sound like your living in Excuse City. #GoodLuckWithThat.

Don't take this wrong way, but I was that person once. That short sighted view lands you in trouble eventually. Right now you have a choice, so please choose wisely. Or carry on and that degree your working towards will be useless if your not around. Your kids won't thank you either. The TV will be still there and all because of what?

The harsh reality of it all is: How bad do you want it?

Whatever you decide, good luck.