Yeast extract

Hi what do u think of yeast extract is it useful for diet and health ??? Thank u too much

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited October 2017
    It's sold in the Supplement section. Things sold in the Supplement section are not proven to cause harm.

That's the only standard they have to meet. Some merchants are so sloppy that they don't even batch test the product in their Supplement section. Investigative journalists in New York found numerous merchants, brands, and supplements on store shelves for which the label did not match the DNA of the material inside the bottle.

You can read the label. You can even believe the label. You're on your own.

http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/red-yeast-rice
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Slap a Marmite label on it, spread it on toast and you've got yourself a bit of delicious. Reasonable source of a few vitamins but the amount you'd have to eat to have meaningful impact is probably not reasonable. Hotly debated love it/hate it topic in the UK is Marmite.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I eat both Marmite and Vegemite - mainly because I simply like the taste.
    Like all foods they have nutrition so could be considered useful for diet and health in the context of your overall diet. But as you use them sparingly you aren't going to get a load of anything from them.

They don't contain any magic though.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    I love Vegemite and eat it regularly. Never have u ever seen it suggested it does anything for weight loss. Pro tip though, it's awesome in place on a stock cube in as stew or meat sauce
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Yeast extract is another name for glutamate or E621.
    Yeast extract is strongly suspected to be neurotoxic.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Lots of Aussies seem to be doing ok eating Vegemite!
  • VintageFeline
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Lots of Aussies seem to be doing ok eating Vegemite!

And Brits on Marmit. I happen to like both.
  • Alatariel75

Aw, a link to Google. How insightful.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    My friend, who is sensitive to MSG, is also sensitive to Yeast Extract with a headache, redness, and hives. It’s a flavor enhancer similar to MSG.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Maybe yeast extract combined with the morning banana diet would help us?

Throw in some negative calorie apples to speed things up and we're set!

I'm an Aussie who's grown up on Vegemite. Yum! If it's neurotoxic, I'm in big trouble! :p
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I'm actually considering adding some yeast to my morning yogurt to improve my folate intake somewhat. I rarely hit the recommended 300µg and just 5g would cover 50% of that and add a nice little dose of vitamin B12 (the recommended intake is around 3µg, so those 5g of yeast would cover 1/3).

Now the question is... will I actually like the taste of it :tongue:

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Maybe yeast extract combined with the morning banana diet would help us?

Throw in some negative calorie apples to speed things up and we're set!

I'm an Aussie who's grown up on Vegemite. Yum! If it's neurotoxic, I'm in big trouble! :p

I'm in double trouble.... I had it on crumpets this morning, super thick. They were wholemeal crumpets though, so perhaps I'll be slightly forgiven ;)
  • VintageFeline
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I'm actually considering adding some yeast to my morning yogurt to improve my folate intake somewhat. I rarely hit the recommended 300µg and just 5g would cover 50% of that and add a nice little dose of vitamin B12 (the recommended intake is around 3µg, so those 5g of yeast would cover 1/3).

100% would not recommend putting in yoghurt. It's deeply deeply cheek suckingly savoury. I can't even imagine trying to eat it with yoghurt.
  • Alatariel75

oh god, no. No. not with yogurt. No. And I love Vegemite. I eat it off the spoon.
  • livingleanlivingclean

100% would not recommend putting in yoghurt. It's deeply deeply cheek suckingly savoury. I can't even imagine trying to eat it with yoghurt.

It might be ok with natural yoghurt as a dip for vegies?
  • VintageFeline

I'm sitting here trying to imagine it in a creamy-ish base and nope. Not doing it for me. Still sounds terrible.
  • livingleanlivingclean

I'm sitting here trying to imagine it in a creamy-ish base and nope. Not doing it for me. Still sounds terrible.

I'm thinking nutritional Yeast... The yellow, slightly cheesy stuff. Are we talking about different things?
  • Alatariel75

I'm thinking nutritional Yeast... The yellow, slightly cheesy stuff. Are we talking about different things?

Very different things!!