The Day after a Bingeful Weekend

What is your plan when you totally bomb the weekend?

I'm thinking of eating as little as possible today after a REALLY bad weekend, but not sure if that's the best choice since I'll be doing "Hell Week" at my gym (Orange Theory) starting tomorrow, which means I'll probably have no energy.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Agree with above, just draw a line under the weekend and carry on as normal.
  • Mrsjones172
    Mrsjones172 Posts: 69 Member
    Turn the page and start a new day. Starving yourself afterwards is the worst thing you can do. Especially if you are doing lots of exercise.

What he said - Just get straight back to your normal, healthy eating/drinking habits.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I purposefully eat lower-calorie Monday to Friday so I don't have to count calories on the weekend. :) I like having the option to go out for dinner with friends or order a pizza for game night without worrying.

Because you have some intense workouts to worry about, don't cut too much. Just use that extra 'weekend fuel' to fuel your workouts this week.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    It depends. I'm in maintenance so if I don't want to gain after a decadent weekend I have to do more than just 'back to usual'. Sometimes I'll fast for a day, sometimes I'll just eat lighter than usual through the week. Depends on just how far over I was and my mood.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Punishing yourself for eating food is a terrible idea. Work out why you went so nuts on the weekend - perhaps you were too restrictive in regards to calories and/or food choices during the week?

Going nuts on the weekend doesn't necessarily have to be something you need to avoid in the future. I like to have occasional days where I eat and drink with hedonistic abandon. It does mean some dietary corrections on other days, but that doesn't feel like punishment to me. It's just life baby.
  • Marcie9278
    Marcie9278 Posts: 64 Member
    Punishing yourself for eating food is a terrible idea. Work out why you went so nuts on the weekend - perhaps you were too restrictive in regards to calories and/or food choices during the week?

Yep. You're right. I was.... makes perfect sense. Learning....
  • Marcie9278
    Marcie9278 Posts: 64 Member
    Your body doesn't carry over like that. It's not like you've used up all your data so you can just cruise on WiFi and make up the difference. You indulged. Did you enjoy yourself? Good. Today's a new day. Your body needs fuel to give you energy and in turn give you results. Starving yourself is setting a terrible precedent and in my experience, makes me more likely to burn out or give up altogether. Eat something healthy, care for yourself, and remember that you're human.

Aaawww. Perfect. Thank you so much! Will do.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Marcie9278 wrote: »
    Your body doesn't carry over like that. It's not like you've used up all your data so you can just cruise on WiFi and make up the difference. You indulged. Did you enjoy yourself? Good. Today's a new day. Your body needs fuel to give you energy and in turn give you results. Starving yourself is setting a terrible precedent and in my experience, makes me more likely to burn out or give up altogether. Eat something healthy, care for yourself, and remember that you're human.

Aaawww. Perfect. Thank you so much! Will do.

<3
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

Going nuts on the weekend doesn't necessarily have to be something you need to avoid in the future. I like to have occasional days where I eat and drink with hedonistic abandon. It does mean some dietary corrections on other days, but that doesn't feel like punishment to me. It's just life baby.

I have days when I eat a lot - I plan for them by eating less on other days, usually in the week beforehand. It may seem the same, but I think there's a different mentality.
  • Need2Exerc1se

I have days when I eat a lot - I plan for them by eating less on other days, usually in the week beforehand. It may seem the same, but I think there's a different mentality.

For some I'm sure there is. For others, not. I usually prefer after.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I also am one who banks calories during the week for more indulgent weekends, and I'm also a proponent of looking at the total numbers when you have a situation where you do indulge more than planned.

Did you log the calories you consumed this weekend? How far over your calories were you? Depending on what rate of loss you've chosen, you have a deficit built into your daily calories, and so even if you go way overboard, if for example you're set to lose 1 lb/week, that means you have a 3500 calorie deficit over the week before you would switch from loss, to maintain or gain. So if you still log your overage, and see that you exceeded by 1000 calories, you're still in a deficit for the week.

I'm also a proponent of not labeling foods good/bad... so if there was something this weekend that you ate that you felt like you shouldn't have, maybe consider why you feel like that food should be off limits, or was it simply the quantity of food that you ate that you felt was excessive?

Lastly, I'm not a fan of punishing oneself for overindulgence, log it, look at the numbers, get on track for this week.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    I had terrible weekend as well, I think I blew off my deficit from entire week. Today I'll eat a bit less than usual, because I'm still bloated and not hungry. I decided to use extra energy to go to gym and do my weightlifting and really push myself. Had a great workout and I'm ready to kick this week in the face!!
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    This is me today after both pizza & Taco Bell this weekend (not in moderation either)...my body is angry at me, I can feel it haha. Just started with some hot tea & am going to eat my veggies & other healthy stuff today. Just gotta start over & move on!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Eat today for how you want to feel tomorow. If you want a bad gym trip and a tired day tomorow, Sure eat less. Be kind to yourself. Start getting back to normal today.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I had a very indulgent weekend. That doesn't happen very often, but it's "birthday month" and we had some social engagements. The weekend is over, so it's back to planning and tracking and eating at a deficit, just like every other day for the last however many weeks. I won't try and overcompensate and I'll just deal with the small gain that will show on the scale for a week or so.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Log it and move on.