I want to gain muscle and loose body fat

2»

Replies

• kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Check out some www.Bodybuilding.com -- nope not saying that in 6 weeks you will be muscular and have a 10% body fat but they do serve as a guide on how some of the best of the profession do it... https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html

My opinion is that you are putting way too much workout time in for your goals - your burn on just walking alone is probably about 250-300 calories then you add 1.5 hrs of weight training that is another 200-300 or so - so you are looking at about anywhere between 450-600 calories burn -- @126 lbs n 5'5 with an assumption you are about 30, your TDEE (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ) is about 1767 at sedentary -- you are consuming 2,645 (daily intake) - 1767 (TDEE) - 500 (avg exercise) = you are only surplussing just about an average of 370 a day - no gains to be had there!!!

FYI yes you can develop the muscle while loosing the fat - by following a high lean protein, low complex carb, healthy fat diet - and following a high weight, low rep routine - compound lift most pref.

Thank you for your help and for breaking this down for me, so considering the exercise I do in the morning and the evening and my lifting programme I follow how many calories do you think I should be consuming because at the moment I aim for "2,645" as you've pointed out already, and yeah I'm 27 so pretty much 30 lol. I consume 2,645 a day on average and I don't account for the exercise I do daily either so what would be a good number for me to aim for.
    I'm quite new to doing all this but I'm enjoying learning about it all. thank you.
  • kazane1
    GymTennis wrote: »
    As simple as one, two, three.

1. Make sure you understand the calorie counting system to begin with when using myfitnesspal. You have to account for all your physical activity and come up with the maintenance calories in your case, or ever so slightly below that. You can let mpf to do it for you, or you can find your calorie needs through a third party calculator. Watch your body going through a change.
    2. Follow a sound lifting program. Don't wander around the gym not really knowing what you doing. Understand the principle of progressive overload.
    3. Get sufficient rest, good sleep, hydrate yourself.

Stay consistent with these steps. Consistency is the key

Thank you for the help, and when I'm calculating things through MFP should my weekly goal be to gain weight then ? because at the moment I have it set to "maintain weight" and I haven't been able to look into inputting exercises into the app yet I didn't know I could do this, I saw that you can link a stepping app with it but It never seemed to work for me. ill look back into inputting exercise into my profile too though, thanks for the advice.
  • kazane1

2. Follow a sound lifting program. Don't wander around the gym not really knowing what you doing. Understand the principle of progressive overload.

+1 for this. Wandering around the gym with no focused agenda is a recipe for wasted time.

I have a plan and I stick to it and I get it done every day, I'm just not noticing the gainzz as most people do I think it must come down to my eating after these comments.
  • kazane1
    what should my carb / protein / fat percentages be for gains too ?
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    kazane1 wrote: »
    Check out some www.Bodybuilding.com -- nope not saying that in 6 weeks you will be muscular and have a 10% body fat but they do serve as a guide on how some of the best of the profession do it... https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html

My opinion is that you are putting way too much workout time in for your goals - your burn on just walking alone is probably about 250-300 calories then you add 1.5 hrs of weight training that is another 200-300 or so - so you are looking at about anywhere between 450-600 calories burn -- @126 lbs n 5'5 with an assumption you are about 30, your TDEE (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ) is about 1767 at sedentary -- you are consuming 2,645 (daily intake) - 1767 (TDEE) - 500 (avg exercise) = you are only surplussing just about an average of 370 a day - no gains to be had there!!!

FYI yes you can develop the muscle while loosing the fat - by following a high lean protein, low complex carb, healthy fat diet - and following a high weight, low rep routine - compound lift most pref.

Thank you for your help and for breaking this down for me, so considering the exercise I do in the morning and the evening and my lifting programme I follow how many calories do you think I should be consuming because at the moment I aim for "2,645" as you've pointed out already, and yeah I'm 27 so pretty much 30 lol. I consume 2,645 a day on average and I don't account for the exercise I do daily either so what would be a good number for me to aim for.
    I'm quite new to doing all this but I'm enjoying learning about it all. thank you.

The best predictor of kcal needs, better than indirect calorimetry or any math equation, is trial and error. If you've been consuming 2,645 kcal per day on average with your current activity, and your weight is stable, that says you should probably be aiming for more like 3,145 kcal per day with your current activity to gain weight at ~1 lb per week. If you're following a good lifting program like the ones suggested in this thread, you may need to steadily increase your calories over the course of a few months to keep up with the muscle you gain. Some people see their metabolism skyrocket with weight training, and some don't. Follow your progress- the trends you see over 3-4 weeks are much more reliable than individual days and weeks, so make changes based on that.

Good luck to you, and congrats on taking the first steps towards better fitness!
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    what should my carb / protein / fat percentages be for gains too ?

I don't target a percentage for protein; I do 1 g protein per lb of body weight every day, and my target gain is .5 lb per week (overall - obviously no guarantees it's all muscle).

I don't focus very much on fat specifically but it wavers a bit between 20-30% of my macros. I know some lifters emphasize fat intake over carbs but I also do a decent amount of cardio as well so I don't sweat carbs at all, and frankly I think carbs are a bit demonized in general.
  • kazane1
    Lean59man wrote: »
    You're very active so make sure you are getting adequate calories to gain. Figure your sedentary calories + exercise calories + 500 more calories.

How do i calculate how many calories i burn while exercising?
    My Daily calorie maintenace is about, 1,792-2,176 but when i inputted my details on an online calculator it came up with "2,300" i currently take in around 2,645 a day and that's not accounting for my exercsing.
    i do an hour walk in the moring and hour walk in the evening and roughly one and a half hour in the gym every evening following a steady lifting programme and I'm not noticing many gains at all.
    I think after reading a lot of helpful comments on here I really need to be eating more but it's just I thought I was eating more eating at 2,645. what % should my carb/fat/protein be at aswell?
    Thanks!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited October 2017

+1 for this. Wandering around the gym with no focused agenda is a recipe for wasted time.

I have a plan and I stick to it and I get it done every day, I'm just not noticing the gainzz as most people do I think it must come down to my eating after these comments.

I see your plan only hits each muscle group once a week. I would try something like Strong Lifts or PHUL to hit each muscle group more often.

Who developed your current program?

as for macros, you can start with 45% carbs, 30% fat 25% protein, and adjust from there. your protein goal should be 0.8-1 gram per lb of lean mass, or if you don't know your BF% go with.8grams per lb of body weight
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    You're very active so make sure you are getting adequate calories to gain. Figure your sedentary calories + exercise calories + 500 more calories.

My Daily calorie maintenace is about, 1,792-2,176 but when i inputted my details on an online calculator it came up with "2,300" i currently take in around 2,645 a day and that's not accounting for my exercsing.
    i do an hour walk in the moring and hour walk in the evening and roughly one and a half hour in the gym every evening following a steady lifting programme and I'm not noticing many gains at all.
    I think after reading a lot of helpful comments on here I really need to be eating more but it's just I thought I was eating more eating at 2,645. what % should my carb/fat/protein be at aswell?
    Thanks!

This might be a bit too abstract (or too broad) but it looks like the Compendium of Physical Activities lists the MET values for weightlifting:

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/conditioning-exercise

As far as cardio goes, MFP tracks that well, although I use a heart rate monitor with some Garmin gear to fine-tune what I've burned.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    erickirb wrote: »

I see your plan only hits each muscle group once a week. I would try something like Strong Lifts or PHUL to hit each muscle group more often.

as for macros, you can start with 45% carbs, 30% fat 25% protein, and adjust from there. your protein goal should be 0.8-1 gram per lb of lean mass, or if you don't know your BF% go with.8grams per lb of body weight

This is what I was going to write as well. Not that I did link a list to a bunch of the listing programs above. Pick one of them (probably in the beginner section)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    I suggest heading over to r/fitness. There's some good resources there to help you get started and decide which program is right for you to try.
  • kazane1
    erickirb wrote: »

Yeahh I thought that might be a problem I feel like I could hit the same muscle groups more then once a week, I made the current plan that I follow and it's probably not the best tbf.
    and thanks ill aim for those percentages from now on and see how I get on.
    Thanks for the help.
  • kazane1

Thanks!

This might be a bit too abstract (or too broad) but it looks like the Compendium of Physical Activities lists the MET values for weightlifting:

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/conditioning-exercise

As far as cardio goes, MFP tracks that well, although I use a heart rate monitor with some Garmin gear to fine-tune what I've burned.

Yeah I'm going to explore the app more and search for how to use some of those features then thanks, and sorry I don't understand that link you sent me lol.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    This is why I avoided letting mfp to set my calories goal. I don't like the idea of logging my activity, eating back the calories and all that. I've seen too many people totally confused with all this.

Therefore, I already pre-set my calorie goal with the number I chose using a simple third party calculator. After a few weeks of trial and error as one of the posters suggested, and maybe a simple tweak, 150 calories a day or so, I now perfectly know how many calories I need, to bulk, cut or maintain. It is so simple that way. In a month you will know your calorie needs to achieve a certain look and goal, and you just stick there until you come to a stall (which is another subject).
    Otherwise it is very hard to guess your weight lifting expenditure in calories. Especially with weight lifting, unlike running for example, which is more precise. Even if you walk every day, I would still put you at moderately active level, cause you don't seem to run, or have any kind of demanding cardio.

To simplify, find a good calorie calculator, remember you are moderately active, you wish to get ripped (which I don't quite get at this point for you, but it's your choice), so you set your goal to maintain weight which is also knowns as recomp. Once you get that number, come back here to mfp, set your calories and stick to them every single day (including rest days), and see what happens. Remember, if you choose to do this, your activity has already been accounted for, so no need to log anything but your food.

Depending on visible changes after only a few weeks play with you calories a hundred or two, up or down. And that's it my friend. Really simple.

Btw this calorie calculator never failed me. Stay well
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member

Yeahh I thought that might be a problem I feel like I could hit the same muscle groups more then once a week, I made the current plan that I follow and it's probably not the best tbf.
    Thanks for the help.[/quote]

You don't know enough to write your own program - pick one of the full body programs and follow it. Some good owns have been suggested. be sure to squat - Eastcoast Jim
  • kazane1
    This is why I avoided letting mfp to set my calories goal. I don't like the idea of logging my activity, eating back the calories and all that. I've seen too many people totally confused with all this.

Therefore, I already pre-set my calorie goal with the number I chose using a simple third party calculator. After a few weeks of trial and error as one of the posters suggested, and maybe a simple tweak, 150 calories a day or so, I now perfectly know how many calories I need, to bulk, cut or maintain. It is so simple that way. In a month you will know your calorie needs to achieve a certain look and goal, and you just stick there until you come to a stall (which is another subject).
    Otherwise it is very hard to guess your weight lifting expenditure in calories. Especially with weight lifting, unlike running for example, which is more precise. Even if you walk every day, I would still put you at moderately active level, cause you don't seem to run, or have any kind of demanding cardio.

To simplify, find a good calorie calculator, remember you are moderately active, you wish to get ripped (which I don't quite get at this point for you, but it's your choice), so you set your goal to maintain weight which is also knowns as recomp. Once you get that number, come back here to mfp, set your calories and stick to them every single day (including rest days), and see what happens. Remember, if you choose to do this, your activity has already been accounted for, so no need to log anything but your food.

Depending on visible changes after only a few weeks play with you calories a hundred or two, up or down. And that's it my friend. Really simple.

Btw this calorie calculator never failed me. Stay well
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    ahh okay so patience too seems to be the main factor in this lol and after all the help I've got from this thread I think I'm going to be bulking now and eating more instead of shredding and cutting down. I read somewhere that your meant to decrease your calorie intake by 10% on rest days as you generally are doing less exercise is this true?
    Thank you so much for all your advice I will follow it.
  • kazane1
    ecjim wrote: »

Thanks for the help.

You don't know enough to write your own program - pick one of the full body programs and follow it. Some good owns have been suggested. be sure to squat - Eastcoast Jim
    [/quote]

Thank's Jim I will follow a different plan.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited October 2017
    Calories burned during various activities...

nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm

A good workout for you to use:

Squat
    Bench press
    Barbell rows
    Overhead press
    Barbell curls
    Calf raises
    Deadlift (once a week)

3 sets of 8-12 reps each. 3 times a week M-W-F. When you get 12 reps each set add weight.

No cardio. Go home. Eat.

• kazane1
    Calories burned during various activities...

nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm

A good workout for you to use:

Squat
    Bench press
    Barbell rows
    Overhead press
    Barbell curls
    Calf raises
    Deadlift (once a week)

3 sets of 8-12 reps each. 3 times a week M-W-F. When you get 12 reps each set add weight.

No cardio. Go home. Eat.

Nice one ! thanks for that chart that's helped a lot, and thanks for the workout routine I'm going to most definitely try this one out!