Counting Carbs or Calories? Motivation.....

I started this diet with my sister counting carbs, it hasn't even been a week for me but i can barely eat anything i like and it sucks. I'm eating basically under 30 carbs a day and mostly staying at around 900-1300 calories at most.
I counted calories once before and i lost some weight and found that somewhat effective but i was always hungry. I'm not super hungry on this carbs diet, but i just really am hoping it works.

Also, whenever i try to start eating better i usually let my mental issues get in my way and start emotionally eating 1-3 weeks down the line. It's like i'm motivated for a few weeks and then if i don't see results i get so upset. Any tips?

Will a low carbs diet keep the weight off? I heard most people gain it right back, is that true??? If so i will be so disappointed.

My current weight is 185 & i'm 5'4"...so i am somewhat overweight. I had a baby and just really want to get this extra weight off. My prebaby weight was 128. My goal is 135, i can't imagine ever losing 50 pounds! Is this realistic?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    People gain weight back after a low carbohydrate diet the same way they do after other diets -- they eat more than their body needs so their body begins storing the energy.

So yeah, if you go back to eating the way you were before and it results in consuming more than you need, you will gain the weight back. That's true for any plan though, it's not just true for low carbohydrates.

Why it sometimes happens more (or seems to happen more) for people on low carbohydrate plans is that some people never figure out how to eat the amount of calories they need while including more carbohydrates. So when they go off plan, their calories increase a lot.

Some people find that calorie counting is easier in this regard because you figure out how to eat everything in portions that you need and when you switch to maintaining, you're just eating larger portions of what you were eating before. It's not foolproof though, people can still gain weight if they eat too much.

I personally wouldn't want to limit carbohydrates, so it's not a good choice for me. If you don't like what you're eating, it may not be a good choice for you either.

Would you want to eat low carbohydrate forever to keep the weight off (or do the work, once you've lost the weight, to figure out how you can eat more carbohydrates and maintain your weight)?
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Hi Morganbone,

It sounds like a low carb diet in particular, but perhaps any very restrictive diet, doesn't work for you. Low carb works well for other people, but I, like you, would feel deprived. Staying mentally healthy is absolutely essential to success, especially when you've got a baby to care for (congratulations!)

I'm 5'4" and losing weight on 1400 and I'm already under your goal weight - which means that you can eat more! Especially since I sit on my butt all day, save for workouts, and you're running around taking care of a baby. I did a quick calculation on your BMR, and it's about 1650. If you were in a vegetative state, your body would burn at least 1650 calories. I recommend you don't eat less than this. All of your daily activities will make up a caloric deficit that will allow you to lose weight, even if you don't purposefully exercise.

Since you're saying you don't feel hungry on this low-carb diet, listen to that. Protein and fat are more physically satisfying than carbs, and will keep you feeling fuller longer. Maybe a sustainable diet for you would be the exact same thing you're doing now, plus 300-500 calories worth of carby foods you like?

Your goal is absolutely attainable, but you can't race to it. If you'd like, you can add me and we can support each other :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    all i know is i can eat a *kitten* ton of calories, and not touch a single carb.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    I lost weight and am maintaining now while calorie counting and eating 50%+ of my calories from carbs.

What helped me with "hungry" was to experiment with my macro balance and when I ate what macros/foods.

If I don't eat enough protein with breakfast, I'm hungry all day. I also have a protein bar an hour or so before bed so that I don't wake up hungry.

Log your calorie intake and play around with meal timing and contents. Build your own way of eating that will work for weight loss and keep working into maintenance.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    For me it comes down to what foods make me feel better as in the 'right macro balance'. I tried low carb for 2 months, and I did not work for me, it works for others. It sounds like it does not work for you.

Perhaps the 1-3 weeks down the line not seeing results is just you being impatient with the process. When you first start this, it takes your body a little while to adapt to the changes you are doing to it, so you do have to work through these first few weeks, but stay the course, the weight loss is working, gotta trust the process as long as you stick to it consistently.

And for me the counting calories along side using my food scale by far the best method allowing me to eat the right macro ratios that are best suited for me. Just find a method that works for you. Maybe some trial and error, it certainly does not have to be a lower carb option.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    all i know is i can eat a *kitten* ton of calories, and not touch a single carb.

. . . while I lost from the 180s to the 120s (at 5'5") in less than a year, while completely ignoring how many carb grams I was eating. I just targeted healthy protein & fat levels, ate things I like, hit my calorie goal, and rarely felt hungry. (Carbs just fell wherever, but usually ended up 150-200g daily).

Maybe different things work for different people?

P.S. Now nearing the end of my second year of maintenance, 5'5", 128 pounds this morning, age 62 next month, hypothyroid, I'm averaging eating 2300-2500 calories daily, at least. Is that a *kitten* ton? It might be. I'm not sure. ;)

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    "counting calories" is not specific enough; how many were you eating? If you ate too few for your body weight/activity level, you probably didn't find a sustainable balance for your individual needs. I once lost weight on 800 calories a day, but clearly couldn't keep that up too long before I started binging like crazy and canceling out my deficit. I suggest starting from the tools MFP has available to count calories, create a reasonable deficit, and stick to it patiently over time while allowing flexibility in your diet and making sure you're getting enough nutrients--vitamins, protein, fiber. If you're eating less than 30g carbs chances are you aren't getting enough nutrients from plant sources.

That is, assuming you want to keep the weight off long-term. If you just wanna win a competition, well then lowcarb away :)
  • Forever_mhm
    Forever_mhm Posts: 11 Member
    timtam163 wrote: »
    "counting calories" is not specific enough; how many were you eating? If you ate too few for your body weight/activity level, you probably didn't find a sustainable balance for your individual needs. I once lost weight on 800 calories a day, but clearly couldn't keep that up too long before I started binging like crazy and canceling out my deficit. I suggest starting from the tools MFP has available to count calories, create a reasonable deficit, and stick to it patiently over time while allowing flexibility in your diet and making sure you're getting enough nutrients--vitamins, protein, fiber. If you're eating less than 30g carbs chances are you aren't getting enough nutrients from plant sources.

That is, assuming you want to keep the weight off long-term. If you just wanna win a competition, well then lowcarb away :)

I was eating between 1200-1500 calories per day when i was doing that, MFP gave me a 1300 CAL GOAL per day.
    I just feel so crazy tracking everything i eat, & i do want to keep the weight off long term, thats a definite. LOL Thank you for the advice
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Do a smaller deficit (.5 pounds a week) and eat back exercise calories.

I find calorie counting to be more accurate. I could theoretically eat barely any carbs and still go way over my calories (i.e. like when I tried low carb and didn't lose weight).
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I find counting everything draining, stressful. I've been gone from MFP for a while.. now I'm back and it is sort of fun logging my food. But, it can get unfun too. Your strategy has to be to come up with what you will do for the long haul of losing the amount of weight you want to lose. What food plan, what exercise.. what works for one..doesn't another. Good luck.