Emotional state affects weight loss?

In the past few months I've been struggling with my personal life, or my life in general actually. At any given time I'm either sad/angry/frustrated/insert any negative emotion here.
Since my weight is something I (thought I) could control, I decided to lose weight I gained over the last couple of years (almost half of what I lost a few years back).
I've been doing everything "right", logging food (that I weigh, not estimate), working out 4 times a week, staying under or just around my calorie limit (1200, sometimes I eat back the workout calories). I'm working very hard since I don't really have anything else to focus on right now.
I'm 27, 1.62 cm, 61 kg. I'm doing hiit and circuit training.
I haven't lost a single gram, and it's been months now.
I'm getting very frustrated and I don't know what else I can do. Could the fact that I'm not losing be related to my emotional state?
Do you guys have any thoughts or ideas?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Cortisol (stress hormone) causes fluid retention, which can very easily mask fat loss. You're in your healthy weight range already, so you shouldn't be aiming for a high rate of loss anyway. Reset your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5 kg per week, ease up on cardio (because that, especially high intensity, increases cortisol, which is the last thing you need), concentrate of strength training, make sure you get adequate protein (at least 0.6-0.8g per lb of body weight), and eat at least half of your calories from exercise. Basically your diet and exercise are stressing an already stressed body, so ease up a little :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    There could be an indirect connection. Going through a rough time can really wipe you out. You may have increased exercise but decreased other activity as a result without realizing it. In general I think that dieting at a time of high stress is a terrible idea. It only adds to the stress. If you are having a rough time I suggest aiming to eat at maintenance for your normal activity level and then just move more. In other words, creating a deficit through CO instead of CI, as it will help maintain your energy level.
  • tracymegan
    tracymegan Posts: 391 Member
    Take a break....from it all...a few days to a week. Get your head on straight and then come back with all rockets firing. Sometimes a reset is needed.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    I agree with the poster above. Take a break. Reset. Relax.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Stress has a huge impact on hormones, adrenaline, cortisol etc and can definitely impact your ability to lose weight. Dr Libby has some really useful articles worth a read https://www.drlibby.com/tag/stress/
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    I am in agreement with everyone here.

Be kind to yourself and your body! Going through a rough time in life can take a toll on you and your general health. Can you seek support from family, friends or a doctor etc. to help you find ways to cope with the stresses or negative emotions you're having in your life right now?

Consider no dieting right now, once you get back to your normal self again, you can resume a weight loss and exercise regime. All the best to you!
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Some really kind, sound advice here. Be good to yourself, it's the best you can do