What's your favorite alternative to popcorn?

2»

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I have airpopped popcorn all the time. I just sprinkle some cinnamon on it and presto. A yummy snack that easily fits my calorie goals. If you don't like cinnamon there are so many other options that are calorie free.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    hughjazz74 wrote: »
    Thanks all... I try not to eat any "light" food. Only full fat, non-artificial, but I appreciate all the ideas. I also have this issue with cashews :) Why are some foods so extra addicting!? Maybe I should've titled this how to stop me from busting into pre-packaged portions that are supposed to be saved for another day. It's my biggest issue, portion control... If you all have any thoughts on that, too, please bring it on. Thank you! :)

I store some things in the freezer in an attempt to not eat the whole thing at once. but then I found out that I actually like eating frozen oreos... whoops :blush:

That "trick" doesn't work for me either. I pretty much like most things frozen. Frozen brownie.. Frozen cookies/cookie dough... Frozen cake. All amazeballs!

OP, I'm no help. I don't generally eat popcorn as I would want to eat too much of it to feel satisfied. It's just do light and airy! (weird, because I generally like volume eating). What about rice cakes with topping? It may feel a bit more substantial but the same popped texture?
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    shaumom wrote: »
    Check out popped sorghum - it's like super tiny popcorn, LOL. Seriously tastes about the same, but smaller and cuter, you can purchase whole grain sorghum online and you just pop it like popcorn. Different nutrients in it.

I might have to try this. Are there hulls? I have no issues eating popcorn, but I hate getting hulls in my teeth. Anymore, I only get popcorn at the theater, it seems to have fewer hulls.
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Do you eat stove popped popcorn? My husband makes it on the stove only. now I'm a brat abotu it and will only eat popcorn from the stove - no more microwave for me!
    He'll use different oils - walnut, truffle, pistachio, but I think peanut is the best.
    But even stove popped with oil, it's 50 calories per cup.
    Also, there's Mrs. Dash toamto-garlic-basil seasoning - that's good on air popped and oil popped.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I don't have alternatives. I love popcorn.
    I only pop mine on the stove. I started using a smaller pan and measuring out amounts. It isn't the same as throwing a bag in the microwave. I have a pan to wash.
    Popcorn is pretty low calorie until you start adding oil/butter to it. Get an air popper.
  • hughjazz74
    hughjazz74 Posts: 64 Member
    love all the posts, thank you! yes I eat store bought...never thought of making it on stove! i need to try that and only make exactly what I'm allowed to eat that day. and seriously I'm about one step away from a food lock box :) it's all such a mind game for me. Keep the thoughts coming, thx!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2017
    hughjazz74 wrote: »
    haha, yes, I know...it's a tough one! I love my popcorn and can't stop eating it. I try portion control, package it up, etc..but I always seem to find the second container...or third. :)

This became a problem for me too, so now I make what I eat. I love my microwave popper (Presto). A little bit of oil ......even 1/2 teaspoon helps the salt stick. Kernel Seasons Popcorn salt comes in lots of flavors.
  • perriwinklejones
    perriwinklejones Posts: 11 Member
    roasted chick peas maybe but they are higher calorie.

I have read that you can use just a tiny bit of butter, and then a bit of soya sauce and I guess its amazing and a lot less calories than more butter?
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Popcorn IS my alternative to things like chips and other snacks. It's healthy (unless you're talking about the kind smothered in butter/salt/caramel,etc.) so why give it up?

Popcorn is the best because it takes so long to eat but it's not a million calories.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Unless you have problems with your teeth.... what's the problem.

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    A whole cauliflower. Seriously. If you bake it long enough, it gets awesomely pull apart-ey. I season it w S&P and garlic or cayenne pepper and just sit there pulling the florets apart. They are like poppable little pockets of goodness.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    @aeloine
    I've always stayed away from cauliflower, but your idea sounds delicious, I'll give it a try.
  • bbhe
    bbhe Posts: 29 Member
    I have air popped popcorn all the time...measure it into a 4 cup bowl and have a 1/2 teaspoon of butter and salt. This part is key because for a while it was more like 1/2 cup of butter :smiley: Anyway, I think it's so helpful to change out the things we love for healthy variations. I throw turmeric on the popcorn sometimes...Anyway, I usually have it with a scoop of Jay Robb protein with ice and water blended. And I have a great little treat that way! also see chocolatecovderedkatie.com (and no I'm not connected to her in anyway) but she has great replacement recipes for almost anything you'd want to eat.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    @aeloine
    I've always stayed away from cauliflower, but your idea sounds delicious, I'll give it a try.

It's SO GOOD. And it's actually really low cal.

I like to eat a LOT of high volume foods, so this hits basically every metric for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2017
    aeloine wrote: »
    A whole cauliflower. Seriously. If you bake it long enough, it gets awesomely pull apart-ey. I season it w S&P and garlic or cayenne pepper and just sit there pulling the florets apart. They are like poppable little pockets of goodness.

If you like spicy stuff, roasted cauliflower is also great with some Frank's Red Hot (or probably whatever your favorite hot sauce is). I'm like you, I can snack on the stuff.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Popcorn is a volume snack I can't give up. I even tried those Skinny Pop Popcorn Cakes and they were terrible.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Do you eat stove popped popcorn? My husband makes it on the stove only. now I'm a brat abotu it and will only eat popcorn from the stove - no more microwave for me!
    He'll use different oils - walnut, truffle, pistachio, but I think peanut is the best.
    But even stove popped with oil, it's 50 calories per cup.
    Also, there's Mrs. Dash toamto-garlic-basil seasoning - that's good on air popped and oil popped.

We have a whirly pop, and that's how I make it. Just a tsp or two of oil. SO GOOD.
  • nolaman1970
    nolaman1970 Posts: 3 Member
    I use this recipe and love it.
    https://foodbabe.com/2013/11/12/microwave-popcorn/
    With Palm Oil just like Movie popcorn and it doesn't take much Palm oil to color and flavor it.
    http://store.nutiva.com/red-palm-oil/
    Palm Oil Ordered from Amazon.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I use this recipe and love it.
    https://foodbabe.com/2013/11/12/microwave-popcorn/
    With Palm Oil just like Movie popcorn and it doesn't take much Palm oil to color and flavor it.
    http://store.nutiva.com/red-palm-oil/
    Palm Oil Ordered from Amazon.

Food babe is not a good source about food safety. If you like the recipes that’s fine, but they aren’t any more healthy than anything else and a lot of her science is skewed.
  • Anvasilak
    Anvasilak Posts: 20 Member
    I purchased an organic NON GMO popcorn from Aldi's Supermarket. It called Simply Nature lightly salted. It's 37 calories per cup. It is delicious!! $1.79 per large 6oz. Bag. You can't beat it!! Great product!