NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The biggest thing I've done since learning about NEAT is give myself permission to fidget even more. I've been suppressing the urge to swing or jiggle my legs for years, but now I feel like I have an excuse. Sorry, people sitting nearby! I do try and be considerate...

I get what you're saying!

Somewhat similarly, I've long prided myself on being efficient (combining trips up/down stairs, keeping needful tools near their use, etc). It amuses me that I'm now trying to be more inefficient!

This is absolutely me. I was doing laundry this morning and instead of adding a couple of things to the hamper from the living room on the main floor before heading to the basement, I took the hamper downstairs then made another trip upstairs. Neat!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited October 2017
    -I've given myself permission to fidget again (which is my natural state - I consciously stopped because family members kept drawing attention). I'm back to always having some body part moving no matter what I'm doing.
    -I run up and down stairs a lot at home (because I keep forgetting things I meant to bring with me, but still).
    -I park at the other end of the parking lot.
    -I wander around when I'm talking on the phone.
    -I make lots of small trips to the store instead of one big weekly, and go up and down every aisle at least once.
    -I have my fitbit set to remind me to get up and walk every hour
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Today at lunch I'll be improving my NEAT with the chainsaw as I cut up a tree that fell over the weekend.

Something else I do quite a bit in winter is steps on a step used for step-aerobics while watching TV
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting one of those little under-the-desk foot peddlers to increase my NEAT a bit while I work. Anyone else use one and have opinions?

I considered getting one of those as well. But I hadn't heard of anyone else using one.

I walk in place a lot while I wait for things. Filling my water bottle and the cooler. take some steps in place. cooking or heating things up, walk in place. Waiting for the kettle to boil, take some steps. Waiting for my dogs to come back to the door from the yard, I'm stepping.

Kind of just a habit now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    Ah, @middlehaitch, you're making me chuckle again! I'd prolly buy that t-shirt, and I'll certainly try that "exercise"!

Great ideas, everyone - keep 'em coming! Totally new ideas, or interesting twists on ideas already mentioned: It's all good!
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    I have the longest elevator ever at work. Just enough time for ten full squats or some shadow boxing. Super glad there are not cameras there. My Fitbit reminder keeps me honest when I get busy at my desk too.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    -I dance while working in the kitchen
    -if I have time after dinner I will walk in the neighborhood
    -playing, chasing cats and children (or running away from them, when it’s their turn)
    - have social and work meetings in the gym
    - wear comfortable shoes (not my favorite