Grocery Shopping for a Broke Student?

13»

Replies

• Akariixo
    Akariixo Posts: 57 Member
    kellya252 wrote: »
    Superstore and Sobeys here (P.E.I.) offer 10% off to students on Tuesdays. You could see if the grocery stores in your area offer anything similar. You will need to show your student ID.

I actually have no idea where to use that student card other than the thrift shop for 10% off. I'm definitely going to have to look into that on Monday and make some use out of it while I have it!
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Tuna fish sandwiches are cheap. Get an instant pot 3 quart pressure cooker amazon has them. . You can cook lots of stuff in it. steam veggies. Slow cook like crock pot. Pressure cook beans and lentils. Stir fry on saute. scrambled eggs. Boil pasta too. Good luck
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    JRSINAZ wrote: »
    Tuna fish sandwiches are cheap. Get an instant pot 3 quart pressure cooker amazon has them. . You can cook lots of stuff in it. steam veggies. Slow cook like crock pot. Pressure cook beans and lentils. Stir fry on saute. scrambled eggs. Boil pasta too. Good luck
    I bought my daughter an Instapot for her birthday (it was what she wanted), and she loves it. Says she uses it almost every night, but she does have a large family now.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited October 2017
    I’m a poor teacher, but also on a restricted diet. Rice is cheap and good to interchange with pasta. Dry beans are cheap, and if you can scrounge up a pressure cooker, easy to cook, and they can stretch meats. Canned and frozen veggies are usually less expensive too. I also eat a lot of cabbage. Last night I had a pasta with a sauce of cabbage, garlic, and sardines canned in tomato sauce. I like sardines much better than I thought I would.