American must-try foods?

Replies

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    I don't get out enough! I grew up in LA area and have lived here again for the past 10 years and must admit I've never tried any of the places listed (other than In-n-Out....I still remember the first store in Baldwin Park) in the above posts. I do recommend Olvera Street which someone mentioned, and China Town right down the street from each other downtown LA. Haven't tried Little Korea but sounds fun. Hope you enjoy the area.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Again, thanks for all the great suggestions everyone - I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! Really looking forward to trying all kinds of different food - and now it looks like I'll have to plan trips all round the rest of the US to try regional specialties everywhere else! So I guess that's my vacations sorted for the next...ever :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Speziface wrote: »
    Hit up a Waffle House, especially if it's 2 in the morning and you need some time and place to sober up.

There are no Waffle Houses in California. I know...it sucks. I am a native southerner now on the west coast and I miss me some Waffle House breakfast.

Get See's chocolate. It's based in LA and is excellent.

Also, if you are looking for things to do, be sure to go to the Getty Center. I don't even like art museums very much, and I love the Getty.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    In & Out burger, for sure, and a taco truck.
    Also check out this list of best LA cheap eats!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    authentic mexican!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    If you are an active member of these forums....be wary especially if coming to california. Take a look at the largest population of californians and notice their physicalities.
    But to vote....I would vote for mexican and In n out! But you've been warned! :/:/
  • Tulip9
    Tulip9 Posts: 143 Member
    Have a great trip! LA is a large spread out area. Lots of varied things to try. Tacos, guacamole, In N Out, sushi (Califonia Rolls do not have raw fish if that’s a plus), food trucks, try a good seafood restaurant near the beach. Dim sum in Chinatown can be fun. Hollywood is kind of touristy, so I would focus on other areas for restaurants. Might be good to check Trip Advisor or Yelp for recommendations. Downtown LA has some good places like Bottega Louie, and The Grand Central Market has a bunch of places you can walk around and try.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    If you are an active member of these forums....be wary especially if coming to california. Take a look at the largest population of californians and notice their physicalities.

WTF does this even mean??

• MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »

WTF does this even mean??

Agreed! ¿Que demonios?
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    edited October 2017
    Definitely get some Mexican food. So Cal will have excellent options. Also, swing through an In N Out burger and get a Double Double with fries and a chocolate shake. You can ask for it animal style and they will skip the bun if you care about such things.

Actually no bun is called protein style. Animal style is extra lettuce and tomato. But I agree, do try In-N-Out. It's good and everyone who vacations here always wants to go.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    hapa11 wrote: »
    Definitely get some Mexican food. So Cal will have excellent options. Also, swing through an In N Out burger and get a Double Double with fries and a chocolate shake. You can ask for it animal style and they will skip the bun if you care about such things.

Actually no bun is called protein style. Animal style is extra lettuce and tomato. But I agree, do try In-N-Out. It's good and everyone who vacations here always wants to go.

I always ask for "animal style" and it means they put grilled onions on it
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I don't live anywhere near LA - I am near Chicago. Anytime I go on vacation to other states I get excited to try local foods. If I was headed to LA I would want to go to a sushi restaurant, have some fish tacos and of course go to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. I may or may not have some California style pizza.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Lots of Asian food in Southern Ca that would be different variation from the Asian you have at home: Thai, Vietnamese, Korean,
    In addition to the tacos, consider burritos. You can get them for breakfast. :)
    https://la.eater.com/maps/36-breakfast-burritos-los-angeles-map-guide-2015
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    I love Aloha Poke and that is in Chino, CA. Mexican is fantastic in San Diego!!!
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Second the recommendation for Grand Central Market, worth a few trips if you are anywhere near it:
    https://g.co/kgs/xFVJ61

Pretty much food stall heaven. Like food trucks, but more sanitary :)

Some great tacos, Thai, coconut milk soft serve- all under one chaotic roof.

As a CA native, what we do well:
    -Street-style tacos (carnitas and carne Assad are no-fail, seafood can be hit or miss)
    -Poki Bowls (the craze has completely taken over, cheaper than sushi - look for a place with kale salad and cauliflower rice as bases if you want the really yuppified CA version, or fluffy white rice for traditional style)
    -K-town has BBQ place after BBQ place. Korean BBQ is a paleo-ish dream. All of the Meats, often AYCE (all you can eat) so you can try everything
    -Asian soft serve: a newer trend in the LA area, green tea and taro flavored with charcoal waffle cones or in koi-shaped waffle cones -these have yet to hit NoCal but I'm certain they are coming... use Yelp :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Before you all say it. I know. I know I know I know BUT. IHOP. Kind of a US holiday tradition for me. We don't really have great pancake places here for some reason (though I have fond memories of on from my childhood in the West End of Edinburgh. I'm also from Scotland but live in London now) so a giant stack of IHOP pancakes is always on my list.

Are you doing Disney while you're there? There's loads of must try things there too if you're going.

IHOP has pretty good pumpkin pancakes-- they don't need syrup.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I'm from the east coast, NYC, and some of this stuff would be new to me! I have had real Mexican food and Tex Mex (not in NY). Midwest and CA pizza is completely different from NY (and surrounding states') pizza. On your next trip if you come east, you must get bagels from NYC, Philly cheesesteak and pretzels from Philadelphia. Pizza from NY, NJ or Philly.

Definitely try any of the "Thanksgiving" type foods. Some restaurants and fast food places will have specials with turkey, stuffing, cranberries.
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    You could also try FatBurger, there are a few in Hollywood.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2017
    I’m from the UK and over the past 15 years have been visiting the US a couple of times a year with the idea of work my way round all 50 states. In November it’s Texas. In May it was north and South Dakota.

From what I remember of California - try the Cheesecake Factory, Panera Bread and Cinnabon’s. I also go crazy for Orange Chicken or General Tsaos from food mall Chinese. Oooo and an Orange Julius or Blizzard from Dairy Queen.

Avoid US chocolates except for really high end luxury stuff. Nothing like Cadbury’s. Uck.

PM me if you have any questions

Those are all chains, and you'll probably find better cinnamon rolls in bakeries.

Check Yelp for good options too!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    It appears the topic's opening up to food all over the country, not just in southern California.

I think mainly because California is such a melting pot you can find at least one restaurant that will serve food from nearly all regions of the country. :-)