My Journey so far

icem6400
icem6400 Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2017 in Success Stories
Moved down to Louisiana in Oct. 2016 after being away for most of my adult life. Everyone was happy to see me. People were inviting me to go hang out and go eat somewhere almost daily. So what did I do? I ate, drank and was very merry daily. Okay, after all that my weight balloned up to 400 lbs. I was out of control. But reality will knock you back down sooner or later. I quickly developed full blown type 2 sugar dibeties. I developed a very bad case of sleep Apnea. I begin waking up at night gasping for air. I lost my ability to walk. I couldn't walk 25 feet without having to sit down because of severe back and knee pain. My legs could barely support my huge body so I could barely stand longer than 5 minutes. I debated selling my truck because I had a hard time trying to get into it just to go somewhere. Around July 2017 I finally came to my senses and started to help myself. I got a sleep test done and found out I have a really bad case of sleep Apnea. Now I sleep with a CPAP machine nightly from fear I might not wake up in the morning. I have also started to eat right as to keep my sugar glucose level down under 130 or as normal as I can. As a result I have started to lose weight, and on ocassion I go walking. So far only up to a mile right now. Back and knee's no longer hurt anymore. I no longer have to check my blood glocuse level as often during the day because I can now judge it by what I eat everyday. Since I have started to watch the foods that I put in my mouth I have dropped my A1C from 6.9 to 5.7 in 3 months. I have also lost about 40 lbs. as of Oct 2017.
It wasn't easy in the beginning but I stayed the course. I won't say it's easy now but I kind of view myself in cruise control mode. Unbelievable how just a 10% weight lost has had such a positive effect on my health. However, I still have a long way to go. Would like to finish up this year with another 10 lb lost for a total of 50lbs weight lost. I'd like to start the new year with a 100 lbs weight lost goal. I really feel this is achievable. Will keep you updated.

Replies

• craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    You've done great...very well done! Imagine how good you'll feel this time next year! :)
  • Momofthree224
    Momofthree224 Posts: 11 Member
    Congratulations! Keep up the great work!
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Awesome job! Thanks for sharing your success with us!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    That's amazing, well done! And thank you for sharing!
  • l1bbylabel7
    l1bbylabel7 Posts: 64 Member
    What a great start to a more healthy life! Keep it up!!
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    good job!!
  • jnemecek1
    jnemecek1 Posts: 1 Member
    Most inspiring. What kind of support system do you have? Do you have friends that you walk with? One mile walking is pretty impressive.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Born and raised in Louisiana myself...Welcome back! Keep up the hard work...you're doing great :)
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    You are doing awesome!
  • doxielvr13
    doxielvr13 Posts: 40 Member
    That is awesome news!
  • DogServant
    DogServant Posts: 30 Member
    Right on! Keep getting after it!
  • Jobar001
    Jobar001 Posts: 21 Member
    icem6400 wrote: »
    Thanks Everyone. UPDATE; HAVE NOW LOST 100 LBS AS IF 5/15/2018. Dr. has taken me off my Diabetes Meds. No long sleep with CPAP machine.

This is amazing!
  • LoreeBelle
    LoreeBelle Posts: 196 Member
    Congratulations!!! You are such an inspiration!
  • jonesite
    jonesite Posts: 40 Member
    Congratulations and keep up the good work!
  • SmellsGood
    SmellsGood Posts: 6 Member
    That is awesome! Congrats!
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    great story great result congratulations :)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Thanks for the update - so pleased for you that you have persevered and are returning to good health. An inspiration for many x
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    So good to read your success story! I started on 170 kg (374 pounds) 7 weeks ago and weight is coming off slowly. For me it is important to work around the food I like (meat, fish, vegetables, salad). Bread - any bread was a trigger and days of binge eating. And I was always soooo tired. Now I feel more awake - walk every day (started with about half a mile, now I can walk over 2 hours and I go to gym once a week.) I like to hear more about your weight loss - meal plan, exercise etc. You are an inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!