Cyclists

Replies

• nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    We also like motor bikes.My husband hava 2 GS LC's.An adventure and a normal one.When we do not cycle,we go and ride with the motorbikes.I may not ride a motor bike anymore because I broke my hip in a motorbike accident.There my place is on the back with my husband.
    ntnunk wrote: »
    nelja wrote: »
    Awesome pictures every one.
    Tell us a bit about your cycling history ! What kind of rides do you do? Short/Long, Gravel/Road/XC/Marathon?

I just love bikes. I race road, criterium, Cyclocross, and time trials regularly, and occasionally mountain bikes (both XC and short marathon, usually 3 hour). I probably consider myself a roadie and CX racer more than anything else, but I love riding everything. A given week in-season will see me riding gravel on the CX bikes, singletrack, and road miles on both road and TT bikes. I usually manage 60-120 minutes a day during the week, and usually 3-4 hour road rides on the weekends if I'm not racing.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Those of you who are nervy on mountain bikes but ok on road bikes... Do you think your way though turns or down hills? On a mountain bike, most of the time, if you're thinking you're doing it wrong. Same goes for road bikes in my experience, you just have a lot more leeway because road conditions don't change as quickly/dramatically as trails can.

@jjpptt2
    For me it's just down hill when gravity takes away my control of speed.
    Just mostly an unfamiliar environment really. I did loads of motorcycling including road riding, road racing and advanced riding instruction but all on tarmac. I'm far more comfortable getting into and out of a slide or skid on road (motorbike or bike) than I am sliding/skidding on a loose surface, it's familiar and I just react instinctively. I saved a big front wheel slide on my Roubaix in the summer on a damp corner and the following rider asked how I did it - no idea really but I did "something" with my hands, feet and body that picked it back up again.
    (So that's why Continental Gatorskins get called Skaterskins....)

You are 100% right in that off road I'm thinking not feeling so I tense up rather than let the bike move about under me. Didn't help having the brake levers reversed from what I'm used to so an instinctive back brake application in a panic would lock the front. There was a fair bit of gravel around.....

w1a3gtabneo2.jpg

• mimc66
    mimc66 Posts: 33 Member
    We've downsize: me Trek Domane SLR '18; Niner Air9 w/ rigid fork for cross wife: Kish Ti road, Scott mtb; Trek Boone cross, steel fixed gear.
  • nelja
    Anyone did some racing this weekend? I did a short road race of 28km in 1 hour and 2 minutes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Whow most people have more than one bike. That is just great. And everyone enjoying the out doors.

You've got to have at least two. What happens if one is down with mechanical issues? You've got to have a back-up.
  • nelja
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Whow most people have more than one bike. That is just great. And everyone enjoying the out doors.

You've got to have at least two. What happens if one is down with mechanical issues? You've got to have a back-up.

That is true, but on the moment I just one.
  • nelja
    edited October 2017
    That is just awesome. I would also one day, ride a 100km.The furthest I have done was 65km.I am not very keen on gravel. So it will have to be on the road. I wish I have more time to cycle more. This is the first training/exercise which I really like. And I which I have started much earlier.
    Keep up the good cycling and keep us up to date. It is very interesting to hear all these awesome stories.
    Awesome pictures every one.
    Tell us a bit about your cycling history ! What kind of rides do you do? Short/Long, Gravel/Road/XC/Marathon?

My parents were into cycling, and I started when I was 6 years old. I cycled everywhere as a kid, and started venturing into longer distances because my parents did ... but just casually, when we travelled etc.

At 17 my father cycled from Jasper to Banff over 3 days, and I joined him on the last day. But I told myself I'd do the whole thing one day.

I kind of ventured away from cycling then, and got into running ... and then body building ... and then back into cycling again. :) On April 29, 1990, I started cycling "seriously" (avidly, enthusiatically) and haven't stopped since.

In 1994, I cycled my first century (100 miles) ... and vowed I would never do that again!

In 1995, I cycled from Jasper to Banff in 3 days, like my father did. :)

In 1997, I cycled 2 centuries ... and then just kept cycling centuries and longer distances since then. I'm up to 185 centuries or longer distances now.

In 1998, I started racing and raced for 3 years. Mostly I enjoyed the Time Trials, and I keep thinking I'd like to try a few more Time Trials, but I haven't done anything about it yet.

In 2001, I started randonneuring ... and I've been doing that ever since. :) In addition to the long distance cycling of randonneuring/audax, I have also done two 24-hour Time Trials, and I tour.

A few stats:

EVENT NUMBER
    CENTURY ... 105
    200K .............. 35
    300K .............. 20
    400K .............. 13
    600K ................ 7
    1000K............... 1
    1200K .............. 4
    TOTAL ......... 185

• Machka9
    That is just awesome. I would also one day, ride a 100km.The furthest I have done was 65km.I am not very keen on gravel. So it will have to be on the road. I wish I have more time to cycle more. This is the first training/exercise which I really like. And I which I have started much earlier.
    Keep up the good cycling and keep us up to date. It is very interesting to hear all these awesome stories.

If you've done 65, you can do 100. :)

Most of my rides are on the road. I'm not fond of gravel. There will occasionally be a little bit of gravel in the middle of a ride because we simply can't avoid it, but that's about it. There's a ride going in the middle of November with 40 km of gravel ... and I've scratched it off our list. We're not doing 40 km of gravel! It's also very hilly which doesn't thrill me either. So it is a big NOPE!

And once in a while we might do a trail or a beach ride or something ... just for something different.

But probably 90% of our rides are road.

We've got a 100 km coming up this weekend, but I'm not sure whether we'll do it or not. We've done it a bunch of times in the past, and I like the ride, but we've just been so busy lately, it will depend on our energy levels.

Last weekend we hosted/organised/ran/supported a 3-day cycling event. There was a 50 km on the Friday evening, a 160 km on the Saturday, and a 100 km on the Sunday. It was an excellent event ... we were so pleased how it turned out ... but there was work involved in getting it all together ahead of time, seeing riders off, making sure we were where we were supposed to be, with everything we needed to support the riders, etc. etc.

We got a few short rides in, in between it all, and I was/am also studying for a final exam!

So we don't just ride them, we also organise them. :)
  • nelja
    The next road race is only again next February,and the longest distance is 100km. Maybe I will try then.
    That is real nice of you by also organizing events. That is a lot of work.We do that with the motorcycle training,twice a year. To organize the food,water and everything going with that.But it Is nice giving back something to the people
    [/quote]

If you've done 65, you can do 100. :)

Most of my rides are on the road. I'm not fond of gravel. There will occasionally be a little bit of gravel in the middle of a ride because we simply can't avoid it, but that's about it. There's a ride going in the middle of November with 40 km of gravel ... and I've scratched it off our list. We're not doing 40 km of gravel! It's also very hilly which doesn't thrill me either. So it is a big NOPE!

And once in a while we might do a trail or a beach ride or something ... just for something different.

But probably 90% of our rides are road.

We've got a 100 km coming up this weekend, but I'm not sure whether we'll do it or not. We've done it a bunch of times in the past, and I like the ride, but we've just been so busy lately, it will depend on our energy levels.

Last weekend we hosted/organised/ran/supported a 3-day cycling event. There was a 50 km on the Friday evening, a 160 km on the Saturday, and a 100 km on the Sunday. It was an excellent event ... we were so pleased how it turned out ... but there was work involved in getting it all together ahead of time, seeing riders off, making sure we were where we were supposed to be, with everything we needed to support the riders, etc. etc.

We got a few short rides in, in between it all, and I was/am also studying for a final exam!

So we don't just ride them, we also organise them. :) [/quote]

• Machka9
    BTW - there's a Cycling Challenge over in the Challenges forum. I take part in it ... I need to update my numbers when I get a chance!!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10602580/october-2017-biking-cycling-bicycling-challenge#latest

There's a new one each month, so there will be a November one starting soon.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Trek 7.2 FXel18m1l9h4gz.png
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    0ixf5mtpiy35.jpg

My 2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo 105. I also have a 1995 Cannondale M900 and a 2002 Cannondale MT800 (tandem--ride with either my husband or teenage son). I have been coveting a Cannondale Habit but I'm not sure if my (surgically repaired) ACL is ready to take a beating on the trails yet.
  • nelja
    I will go and check it out. I did the steps one 2 months
    BTW - there's a Cycling Challenge over in the Challenges forum. I take part in it ... I need to update my numbers when I get a chance!!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10602580/october-2017-biking-cycling-bicycling-challenge#latest

There's a new one each month, so there will be a November one starting soon.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member

Unless it is a catastrophic failure I would think one would just fix it. Most bike repairs take less than an hour. I have multiple bikes because they are each designed for a different purpose.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    That's lovely in theory - in practise however, sometimes it's not that clear-cut.

For example: I had one of my gear changers fail under warranty (dropped me into lowest gear and ouldn't change). Went back to the bike shop for exchange, and took exactly 4 weeks for the warranty replacement to come back from the manufacturer, and then be fitted by the shop. Without my old/spare bike I would have had to resort to the tube for a month.

In less extreme cases, you might need a tube after you've run out, or a part that you've haven't got, after the shops have shut, and need to commute the next morning before they open (which has happened to me a number of times) - again, spare bike to the rescue.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I have a Trek X0-1 Cyclocross bike