How to not overeat like a heathen during my period?

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I feel completely outta control during TOM,I eat more,smoke more,drink more,,,not quite sure how to control myself
  • Rachwy4
    Rachwy4 Posts: 3 Member
    I recommend keeping healthier options available like fruit or carrots! Try not going to the store when you’re hungry to avoid the temptations of desserts! If you don’t have the desserts, you can’t eat them. Hope this helps!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Just occured to me i havent had my period in a few months now. Tonight im bingey and moody as hell. Hopefully thats a sign i guess its coming lol.

Iv been eating tiny portions of snacks and trying to wait as long as i can before another small portion. Seems to be working sort of. That is until i dove into a tuna casserole. Yum anyway. Tiny portions more often was helping anyway lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Older study showing it's been known for awhile now.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7124662

Basal metabolic rate varied significantly with the menstrual cycle. Basal metabolic rate decreased at menstruation and fell to its lowest point approximately 1 wk before ovulation subsequently rising until the beginning of the next menstrual period.

And application of a more recent study (that Lyle has referenced and in fact is in the comments section) for weight loss, perhaps can help the hunger side.
    http://sciencedrivennutrition.com/unlocking-the-female-cycle/

Undoubtedly - this will likely be a decent factor in workout methods and diet breaks/refeeds of high carbs - when you put it all together.

You can start getting an idea of what will likely appear in a future book much waited for by many.

That's pretty much how my hunger goes - ravenous the week before my period, not hungry the week after.
    I just don’t. Don’t have munchies available. Eat what your calories permit and no more. Go for a walk. Exercise. Distract yourself from eating. Motivation is key.

I personally have no understanding for eating more due to hormone changes in my cycle. In my experience I have no more interest in eating than any other day. I just stick to my calorie goals and profit from them following my cycle.

The same goes for pregnancy and breastfeeding: I do not have an increased appetite in these situations either. I simply stick to my calorie goals and find success.

The end.

Well, for me it didn't happen until I got 10 lbs under the 'overweight' category (and hit 35, who knows which one triggered it). I had NO hunger issues at all while I was losing. Then it hit me like a truck and I've struggled with the same 10 lbs since.

That being said, my hunger drops in the 3rd day of my period, and I've tried everything under the sun to make the hunger beforehand go away and haven't found anything that works yet (pills, teas, you name it). I however do not understand the chocolate cravings at all because I've never experienced them. I just want bread and pizza. I'll lose control if I eat dessert but I really don't crave them and they don't do satisfy me at all at that time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Francl27 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    Older study showing it's been known for awhile now.

Basal metabolic rate varied significantly with the menstrual cycle. Basal metabolic rate decreased at menstruation and fell to its lowest point approximately 1 wk before ovulation subsequently rising until the beginning of the next menstrual period.

And application of a more recent study (that Lyle has referenced and in fact is in the comments section) for weight loss, perhaps can help the hunger side.
    http://sciencedrivennutrition.com/unlocking-the-female-cycle/

Undoubtedly - this will likely be a decent factor in workout methods and diet breaks/refeeds of high carbs - when you put it all together.

You can start getting an idea of what will likely appear in a future book much waited for by many.

That's pretty much how my hunger goes - ravenous the week before my period, not hungry the week after.
    I just don’t. Don’t have munchies available. Eat what your calories permit and no more. Go for a walk. Exercise. Distract yourself from eating. Motivation is key.

I personally have no understanding for eating more due to hormone changes in my cycle. In my experience I have no more interest in eating than any other day. I just stick to my calorie goals and profit from them following my cycle.

The same goes for pregnancy and breastfeeding: I do not have an increased appetite in these situations either. I simply stick to my calorie goals and find success.

The end.

Well, for me it didn't happen until I got 10 lbs under the 'overweight' category (and hit 35, who knows which one triggered it). I had NO hunger issues at all while I was losing. Then it hit me like a truck and I've struggled with the same 10 lbs since.

That being said, my hunger drops in the 3rd day of my period, and I've tried everything under the sun to make the hunger beforehand go away and haven't found anything that works yet (pills, teas, you name it). I however do not understand the chocolate cravings at all because I've never experienced them. I just want bread and pizza. I'll lose control if I eat dessert but I really don't crave them and they don't do satisfy me at all at that time.

Same and same. I think the chocolate thing may be cultural. I just gravitate towards higher calorie foods, whatever the source, the week before period. I experience no particular cravings during my period. Granted I'm often groggy on painkillers the first 3 days which makes me kind of nauseous, so this may have something to do with it.

ETA: no help from me, sorry. I still haven't found anything that works for me. I just grin and bear it sticking to my calories (which requires heroic efforts that I can't always conjure) or accept that I will be overeating for a few days.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    I gave into my wicked candy craving Saturday-- thanks mother nature. I totally ate a pack of Starburst and a king size pack of Giant Reese's while laying in bed. And it satisfied my craving. I didn't indulge it any more after that. I think it's about balance. At some point you just have to have the resolve to tell yourself, enough.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    elizabethdzenitis Posts: 63 Member

The end.

Ok?
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    my eating is uncontrollable during this time. i just let it be. it lasts for a few days and by the end of it i've dropped the excess water weight. ive accepted it..
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Just occured to me i havent had my period in a few months now. Tonight im bingey and moody as hell. Hopefully thats a sign i guess its coming lol.

Iv been eating tiny portions of snacks and trying to wait as long as i can before another small portion. Seems to be working sort of. That is until i dove into a tuna casserole. Yum anyway. Tiny portions more often was helping anyway lol

No period for months and moody/bingey? I think I'd be off for a pregnancy test :lol:
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

No period for months and moody/bingey? I think I'd be off for a pregnancy test :lol:

Lmao i have PCOS and only had protected fun once so chances are very unlikely but possible i suppose. doubtful
  • Try glutamine, 2-3 small spoons on an empty stomach
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    OP, I'd say budget in maybe a slightly higher week and also try keeping around foods you can eat if you want to grab something that won't kill the calories. I just bought some clementines, which can be a good option for me in such a situation.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Any chance you've tried pre-portioning? Just seal up in baggies or containers the amount you think will be reasonably satisfying and try not to overeat throw out the rest of your food?
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Keep limited amounts of dark chocolate around to help stifle cravings, schedule things you can't get out of in places you won't overeat, stay active to keep from eating too much (AND it helps keep the cramps at bay), either have sex or *kitten* (depending on your situation - this helps the cramps, general happiness level, and the urges that are normal at this time), drink tons of water, make sure you clear your house out of anything that you can't control yourself with, be well equipped with healthy foods you can eat in volume AND enjoy, and eat at maintenance for a few days with high fat and high protein. This helps me. Not saying it's the cure but it helps. More than anything, pay attention to what triggers it for you. For me, it's being depressed and sitting around watching TV then wandering to the kitchen or a fast food place, etc.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member

To those who don't believe that BMR changes during phases of the cycle. Cited figures indicate a BMR increas of 7-9%. So it's not a ton but it's significant, especially if you're aiming for a 20% deficit and suddenly you're at a 27% deficit.

This article recommends different trainings and nutrition at different times: more carbs during the follicular phase and higher intensity workouts, and more fat + low-intensity exercise during the luteal phase. Almost like a mini bulk/cut cycle every month. YMMV tho.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    timtam163 wrote: »

To those who don't believe that BMR changes during phases of the cycle. Cited figures indicate a BMR increas of 7-9%. So it's not a ton but it's significant, especially if you're aiming for a 20% deficit and suddenly you're at a 27% deficit.

This article recommends different trainings and nutrition at different times: more carbs during the follicular phase and higher intensity workouts, and more fat + low-intensity exercise during the luteal phase. Almost like a mini bulk/cut cycle every month. YMMV tho.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters

Bookmarked that study for when I have time to read it. (Then go bug one of my nutrition profs about it :tongue: )