October 2017 Running Challenge

1103104105106107109»

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    One good way to avoid being too cold at the start of your winter run, or too warm after a couple of miles, is to plan a short loop of a mile or so, so you can shed layers after you warm up. The KEY to doing this is to shed the layers BEFORE you start sweating. You definitely want to avoid sweating as much as possible when it's, oh, 10F or lower. Wind plays a huge factor in this too so take that into account.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited November 2017
    0260.pngOCTOBER0260.png

Oct 1 - 7.6m Bridge2Bridge race
    Oct 6 - 7.3m Harvest Moon run
    Oct 9 - 7.8m bad air run
    Oct 12- 7.6m bad air run
    Oct 15- 3.2m Breakin in a new pair of shoes
    Oct 19- 7.1m LuluLemon Ghostrace (course was 5.2 but I couldn't just couldn't stop)
    Oct 21- 3.3m
    Oct 22- 0.9m Sprints Workout
    Oct 24- 7.2m
    Oct 27- 8.5m
    Oct 29- 4.0m

51.1mi | 64.5mi goal =9s1z3097t9i0.jpg

Thanks @skippygirlsmom , et al for the inspiration! me and my new kix will see you in November

[/quote]

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    @ddmom0811 My bib # is 57327 (blue wave 4 starting at 11am). It would be awesome to meet if time/schedule permits. Unfortunately it will be a quick trip as we will get in midday Saturday and leave Monday morning. Shoot me a text and hopefully it will work out! Also, good luck at the 5k!

@skippygirlsmom @garygse Thank you!

So, I had high hopes of replying to the last 5 or so pages I missed but I’m not sure that’s going to happen, but I did want to get the above replies in before it’s too far past October. Going to try to do better in November!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    I know I am a day late. This month I did not meet goal and I got injured. But working on coming back from that and seeing what I can accomplish in Nov. I am like others trying to figure out how to dress and getting my heiny up when it's cold. I loved watching so many people hit so many goals, PR's and climb over obstacles this month. The motivation is amazing!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

@ddmom0811 Lol, I never knew that was the full title of Strong Curves! That's one if the things I love about the kindle - nobody knows if I read a serious bio of some smutty romance that would have a real embarassing cover as paperback :D

LOL, I know! That's why I love the kindle too! But I am really finding that turning off electronics about an hour before bed is really helping me. I'm not nearly as tired!

I have one of the old kindles, with no backlight, and no other functions. I LIKE the fact that if it gets too dark I need to find another lighting source or go to sleep, I LIKE the fact that I can ONLY read books on it, and don't find it an issue at night.

Trouble is, it is starting to lose its charge and I'll need to replace it, but the latest ones are all a bit too electronic for what I'm after (also I can't use a touchscreen in a waterproof case in the bath/on the beach)

I still have the 2nd generation Kindle, which I rarely use. I downloaded the Amazon Kindle app on my tablet, and mostly read books on the tablet....also late at night until I get sleepy.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

@ddmom0811 Lol, I never knew that was the full title of Strong Curves! That's one if the things I love about the kindle - nobody knows if I read a serious bio of some smutty romance that would have a real embarassing cover as paperback :D

LOL, I know! That's why I love the kindle too! But I am really finding that turning off electronics about an hour before bed is really helping me. I'm not nearly as tired!

I have one of the old kindles, with no backlight, and no other functions. I LIKE the fact that if it gets too dark I need to find another lighting source or go to sleep, I LIKE the fact that I can ONLY read books on it, and don't find it an issue at night.

Trouble is, it is starting to lose its charge and I'll need to replace it, but the latest ones are all a bit too electronic for what I'm after (also I can't use a touchscreen in a waterproof case in the bath/on the beach)

There's a new waterproof kindle. I think it's called Oasis?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Well done everyone. In case you stumbled in late, we all moved onto November's thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611680/november-2017-running-challenge

It's already 6 pages in.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    @ereck44 - the point of my kindle is that it is a liquid ink display and therefore not blue light - which a tablet is. Plus a tablet allows me access to the internet, so I tend to get distracted rather than read.

@RunsOnEspresso - I needed the case for the bath, and wanted the kindle with the push button page turners as the touchscreen didn’t work well in the bath. Will check out the oasis.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    I know this there a new thread for Nov. Just wanted to post mileage for Oct.

Oct goal 120 miles
    Oct 1.......11 miles.......MTD 11
    Oct 2.......11 miles.......MTD 22
    Oct 3.....,,10 miles.......MTD 32
    Oct 4........6 miles........MTD 38
    Oct 5........0 miles........MTD 38.
    Oct 6........5 miles........MTD 43
    Oct 7........13.1 miles...MTD 56.1
    Oct 8........11 miles......MTD 67.1
    Oct 9.........3.1 ez m.....MTD 70.1
    Oct 10.......5 miles........MTD 75.1
    Oct 11 ......0 miles........MTD 75.1
    Oct 12.......5.1 m..........MTD 80.2
    Oct 13.......2 miles........MTD 82.2
    Oct 14.......6 miles........MTD 88.2
    Oct 15.......11 miles......MTD 99.2
    Oct 16.......3.6 miles.....MTD 102.8
    Oct 17.......7.4 miles.....MTD 110.4
    Oct 18.......5.6 miles.....MTD 116
    Oct 19.......10 miles......MTD 126
    Oct 20........0 miles.......MTD 126
    Oct 21........11 miles.....MTD 137
    Oct 22....... 13.3 miles..MTD 150.3
    Oct 23........1.7 miles....MTD 152 run/walk C25K with daughter
    Oct 24........5.3 miles....MTD 157.3
    Oct 25........5.2 miles....MTD 162.5 includes 1.8 miles of run/walk C25K with daughter
    Oct 26......,,8.2 miles....MTD 170.7 includes 1.9 miles run walk C25K with daughter
    Oct 27........0 miles.......MTD 170.7
    Oct 28........13.2 miles..MTD 183.9 New Saucony's, I think I like them
    Oct 29........10 miles.....MTD 193.9
    Oct 30 and 31 no run, life got in the way.

Oct total 193.9 miles. Way more than I anticipated. Def feel ready for my HM on November 18.
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Those that can post to the closed thread for the monthly challenges really need to keep the monthly link up to date :) I always forget to check the previous month thread just to get to the current month. :(
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    Those that can post to the closed thread for the monthly challenges really need to keep the monthly link up to date :) I always forget to check the previous month thread just to get to the current month. :(

there is a blank star at the top right of the thread. Click on that to turn it yellow....and the you are now following the thread and it will appear in your notifications at the top of the page..... I think that's what you're saying, but sorry if I misunderstood your comment
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    dudasd1973 wrote: »

I'll keep it updated... I didn't think anyone used it. I figured most just bookmarked it like @HonuNui mentioned.
  • melanieakao
    melanieakao Posts: 2 Member
    Im in for 100 miles
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Im in for 100 miles

@melanieakao Great! But I think everyone has moved over to the November challenge thread now: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611680/november-2017-running-challenge