Protein powders

pkdarlin
pkdarlin Posts: 149 Member
What kind of protein powders are good on keto?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    When I was keto I used isopure zerocarb the cookies and cream wa's really yummy. I now use vitamin world whey protein isolate precision engineered, I'm not keto but it's very low carb I think 2g per serving and tastes great
  • Twinklestarr1981
    Twinklestarr1981 Posts: 10 Member
    I use either 1 Scoop of Ancient Nutrition Bone broth chocolate protein Powder and PB fit (1/2 scoop) or I also use Quest PB Protein Powder too, either protein powder is tasty but the bone broth one is the bomb!!! I use quest in a variety of reciepes and my husband uses it too!!! :) Bless ya!!!
  • pkdarlin
    Thank you I just need some ideas. I know I’ve seen Quest at Walmart.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    I really like Optimum Nutrition Platinum Whey. Vanilla blends very well in coffee. Cheap and it really helps when I’m getting tired of meat :smile:
  • pkdarlin
    I really like Optimum Nutrition Platinum Whey. Vanilla blends very well in coffee. Cheap and it really helps when I’m getting tired of meat :smile:

Thank you I’ll check it out.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    No help on protein powders but Greek yogurt (plain) tends to be a frequent source of protein for me. 22-23 grams per cup if you're looking for something other than meat. I often "doctor it up" with berries, coconut, SF jam, etc.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    I like and use the SDC Nutrition About Time Whey Protein Isolate Powder. I like them because they contain no soy, but they are only lightly sweetened with stevia so their flavors don't "kick you in the mouth" the way a lot of other protein powders do. The carb count on About Time is great too (less than 1 carb per scoop). They have a wide variety of flavors some of which are seasonal. I usually purchase either through netrition.com (cheapest place I've found for this brand) or directly through the About Time website especially if I manage to catch a good sale.
  • pkdarlin
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I like and use the SDC Nutrition About Time Whey Protein Isolate Powder. I like them because they contain no soy, but they are only lightly sweetened with stevia so their flavors don't "kick you in the mouth" the way a lot of other protein powders do. The carb count on About Time is great too (less than 1 carb per scoop). They have a wide variety of flavors some of which are seasonal. I usually purchase either through netrition.com (cheapest place I've found for this brand) or directly through the About Time website especially if I manage to catch a good sale.

That sounds great!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited November 2017
    Has anyone here done a cost to quality comparison? The best quality for the least cost? I'm wanting to get some protein powder - breakfast is such and annoying inconvenience - but cost is a major issue.... Appreciate any insight y'all have!

EDITED TO ADD: I'm beyond yogurted out at the moment. I'm not a huge yogurt person anyway, and I just was on a stupid amount of antibiotics, so I've eaten about a cup of yogurt a day for 4 or more weeks now and my eyes are floating in yogurt, it feels like!!! Not a huge cottage cheese person, and I can only eat so much meat, so I'm just looking as an easy on the go type thing.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Sorry Knit, can't really help you with this one. Seems to me all protein powder is pretty expensive these days. I usually get 1 large tub (2 pounds) for $39.99. Yeah, I know I could probably find cheaper protein powder, but it usually contains soy or other questionable ingredients that I'm not okay with so I stick with the kind I like (shrug).
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    I use any one that has a low carb count, tending to follow sale prices.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    My go-to protein powder is Dymatize Iso100 Peanut Butter flavor! I've been eating this stuff everyday for the past 8 months. Still not tired of it. Also, I make my shakes with water sometimes (hey, I'm on poverty macros due to contest prep) and it still tastes good. That says a lot about a protein powder. Plus, they're 1-2g carbs per scoop ~26g of protein.
    Flavors from Best to Okay (because none of them taste bad! :wink:)
    1) Peanut Butter
    2) Gourmet Chocolate
    3) Chocolate Peanut Butter
    4) Orange Dreamsicle
    5) Smooth Banana
    6) Cinnamon Bun
    7) Cookies and Cream
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    This thread must have caused me to reconsider protein powders. That and growing weary of meat.

Quest Peanut Butter. Amplify Chocolate (a GNC product, I think). While I wouldn't recommend either for price, I was able to sample both at the store and they're tasty. Both have a bit of "protein powder taste" but to me they're both much better than brands I purchased a couple years ago and threw away.

I mix both with water only. The Amplify (5 total carbs), when whipped up with water and a few ice cubes (in a Magic Bullet) is milk shake thick. :)
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    kpk54 wrote: »
    This thread must have caused me to reconsider protein powders. That and growing weary of meat.

Quest Peanut Butter. Amplify Chocolate (a GNC product, I think). While I wouldn't recommend either for price, I was able to sample both at the store and they're tasty. Both have a bit of "protein powder taste" but to me they're both much better than brands I purchased a couple years ago and threw away.

I mix both with water only. The Amplify (5 total carbs), when whipped up with water and a few ice cubes (in a Magic Bullet) is milk shake thick. :)

@kpk54 If you liked the Quest Peanut Butter, you have to try the Dymatize Iso100 Peanut Butter! Quest was my go-to but after trying Dymatize, I can't go back. It tastes like natural peanut butter :yum:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Has anyone here done a cost to quality comparison? The best quality for the least cost? I'm wanting to get some protein powder - breakfast is such and annoying inconvenience - but cost is a major issue.... Appreciate any insight y'all have!

EDITED TO ADD: I'm beyond yogurted out at the moment. I'm not a huge yogurt person anyway, and I just was on a stupid amount of antibiotics, so I've eaten about a cup of yogurt a day for 4 or more weeks now and my eyes are floating in yogurt, it feels like!!! Not a huge cottage cheese person, and I can only eat so much meat, so I'm just looking as an easy on the go type thing.

Check out the Myprotein website, they cant be beat for price and quality. Plus they have almost daily specials. I use their Whey Isolate chocolate/peanut butter flavour. 32g protein and 1g carb in a 40g scoop.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    @Christine_72 - Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.

I've tried the GNC Whey Unflavored (I got it for Soul Bread) when mixed with low carb cocoa mix, but it was out of my price range at the time to restock.

I got a good deal on trying WheyForce...but they chocolate was SOOO Sweet, even thought it's just got a tiny bit of Dextrose, Stevia, and Vanilla Bean in it...but watering it down was ... less than stellar. I'm going to have to figure out how to thicken it, because it's got stout chocolate flavor...just over sweetened, and my collagen powder doesn't sweeten it. I also have the vanilla to try, so that will be tomorrow...

I don't have a blender at work, so adding ice is a no-go (I pour it over ice to drink it)...

But this one is definitely not recommended stand alone as it needs work... Maybe straight up cocoa powder will stiffen up that sweetness?
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Check out the Myprotein website, they cant be beat for price and quality. Plus they have almost daily specials. I use their Whey Isolate chocolate/peanut butter flavour. 32g protein and 1g carb in a 40g scoop.

I just visited the Myprotein website and they don’t ship to the US? :(
  • Christine_72
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    @Christine_72 Thank you! What flavors do you recommend?
  • Christine_72
    @Christine_72 Thank you! What flavors do you recommend?

My favourite is chocolate/peanut butter in the whey impact isolate. The regular whey concentrate powder (whey impact protein) has loads of different flavours which i would love to try, but i cant have anything with concentrate in it as I gas my husband out of the house :weary: If i could have it, I'd be going for the chocolate caramel pretzel flavour!!!

I haven't read a bad review on any of their flavours. They have some awesome sales on at the moment.