Does it matter what you eat if you're still meeting your calorie goal for the day?

I've been right on track, losing 6lbs my first month. (Which was great)

I've been introducing foods that aren't known to be healthy (like cocktail sausages wrapped in crescent rolls)

I've been tracking everything and I haven't gone over but will eating bad foods hurt my progress?

This has been great because it doesn't (feel) like I'm "dieting" so it helps keep me on track.. kind of like having your cake and eating it too!

Tips appreciated

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    There are no "bad" foods - unless of course they make you sick (or are holding you up at gunpoint). Weight loss is caused by eating fewer calories than you expend. Are you getting your protein and fat minimums? Getting in all your macro and micro nutrients? Do you feel good? If so, it sounds like you found a way of eating that's sustainable for you - congratulations! That's a really good indicator you'll be successful!

<blink> What on earth would cause someone to woo this???
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    The concept that dieting doesn't have to be misery is kind of mind blowing, but what I've come to understand and accept over the past few months here. Certainly there are foods for optimum health and/or training or what not, but when it comes to shedding pounds I have found room for tacos and cheeseburgers, FTW baby!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    For weight loss: you can definitely eat anything you want as long as you're in a calorie deficit. Like pizza and chocolate for every meal.

For health: You will probably want to make sure you're getting enough vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein and fat to feel good and look good. 0.8 x your body weight in protein (grams) is a good minimum. You have wiggle room with fat and carbs.
  • Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    As long as it fits within your calorie limit, go for it!! In my opinion, that makes it very doable. I am losing slowly, but I am not depriving myself of anything. When I belonged to weight watchers, we were asked to turn in our journals for a week. I was scolded for putting down foods that were not my usual because we were on vacation. I wrote down fudge, cheese, beer, pizza. It fit within their numbers, but not in the leader's mind. I was honest about what I was eating unlike many others I'm sure.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    I have only been doing this for a few weeks so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt, but IMO it's nearly impossible to eat an enormous amount of so-called "bad" food if you are accurately tracking and limiting your calories, if by "bad" food you mean stuff like beer or candy or whatever.

What I mean is, if you want to hit your calorie goals and still feel satiated after dinner, you are essentially forced to eat more nutrient-dense foods. I know that I could potentially hit my calorie goal on any given day while only ingesting beer and candy, but I would feel terrible and still be hungry for "real food," so I don't do it.

So the point of all this is, don't worry about "bad" foods. Just measure accurately and eat to meet your calorie goals. If you eat foods that satiate you while staying at your caloric goal, you will almost certainly be getting the nutrients you need.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Think of calories like a budget. I give you $1000 dollars to buy a wardrobe. You go to the store and you know you should focus on tops, pants, and a few accessories. But you walk by the accessories and find purses, scarves, handbags, before you know it- you have spent 600 dollars and don't have the stuff you actually need. You'll have a hard time being clothed if you waste your money all on "extras."

Similarly, diet. "Healthy" foods are a good bang for your buck. They make you feel fuller, provide fiber, and good micro nutrients. Your calorie count can get quite low if you make sure everything you eat is value packed with good stuff per calorie.

I like this analogy, might have to steal it sometime. Also +1 for BSG avatar.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Someone's Wooing the crap outta this thread for no reason! OP,you can eat what you want as long as it fits your calories for the day,I've lost while not giving up my daily donut,weekly pizza and weekly lunches out with my daughter
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    There are no "bad" foods - unless of course they make you sick (or are holding you up at gunpoint). Weight loss is caused by eating fewer calories than you expend. Are you getting your protein and fat minimums? Getting in all your macro and micro nutrients? Do you feel good? If so, it sounds like you found a way of eating that's sustainable for you - congratulations! That's a really good indicator you'll be successful!

<blink> What on earth would cause someone to woo this???

Why is this woo? mph323 states CICO is the way to lose weight. The he/she goes on to ask about macro and micro nutrients in a way that supports CICO. Are we so CICOized that we aren't allowed to talk about other health concepts? Macro-nutrients are real things and from what I have researched, can have their ratio adjusted to align with and support individual bodies and goals.

There always seems to be this CICO is all mentality and when people of good will ask sincere questions, it should be ok to have a dialog that extends past CICO without puritan responses. Sorry if this seems overkill on the reply, but I see so much of this when browsing the threads.
  • mph323
    Also regarding the woos - if someone has such strong feelings about weight loss and food selection it would be nice to understand exactly what points are an issue and what their own personal philosophy is. Wooing a bunch of common sense posts without any context or explanation is a really ineffective way to get a point across.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    So, I will chime in. To be concise (y'all might want to sit down - I am not 'concise' too very often):

1. Essentially, Calories In vs Calories Out.
    2. Be within 5% of your Caloric goals daily
    3. Consider tracking everyday but using those daily entries as data points along the week's graph!
    4. Give more focus to your weekly total
    5. You need to know your maintenance calories (and keep in mind that will change slightly)
    6. If you are trying to loose weight, then you want to be in a caloric deficit (depending on your goals, between 100 and 500 calories a day, generally speaking)
    7. If you are trying to gain weight, then you want to be in a caloric surplus (depending on your goals, between 100 and 500 calories a day, generally speaking)
    8. I follow something called Flexible Dieting
    9. I follow something called Intermittent Fasting
    10. Some would suggest to also track your macros (Protein, Carbs, Fats). If you do, then be within 10% of your macro goals daily.
    11. If you are going to track macros, pay special attention to Protein (this is usually a constant) and make up the difference with some Carb | Fat ratio that works for you.
    12. The key is adherence. So, put yourself in a position to succeed long term with this.

I am sure that I could add some more, but since I was #12 in high school and college I will stop there!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Also regarding the woos - if someone has such strong feelings about weight loss and food selection it would be nice to understand exactly what points are an issue and what their own personal philosophy is. Wooing a bunch of common sense posts without any context or explanation is a really ineffective way to get a point across.

It's been happening a lot lately. Methinks it might be because of a certain woo-button thread...
  • mph323

It's been happening a lot lately. Methinks it might be because of a certain woo-button thread...

Do you have a link? TIA!
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Nope I've lost 31 pounds eating out almost every day, and indulging in sweets as well. All that is needed is eating at a caloric deficit.